Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the GI yesterday and because I am still having bad right side pain and D, he is testing me for carnoid syndrome. I actually thought after my colonoscopy we were done, but am having an upper GI (drinking the barium) and a 24 hour urine test for carcinoid. Needless to say, I am worried and making myself sick about it, AND Im at work. I cannot concentrate I feel like crying and just going home and hiding. Feel worried
I also tried to talk to my family about how I was feeling and they just said, its just a test, your probably fine, this is IBS, not anything else. Its nothing. Not alot of compassion for me not feeling good and not handling this well. I know they are trying to help but it did not. My mother said, keep it together you're at work, you don't want anyone to see you upset, upset them and then have your test come back negative.Any words of advise, anyone had this? CB[This message has been edited by CBwithD (edited 11-21-2000).]

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm sorry CB I have not had the urine test I have however gotten to enjoy the upper GI test. I'm sorry your family is not bein supportive. Unfortunatley most people don't understand unless it is them with the affliction. People are just like that. My theory has always been to never count on anyone but yourself and then you are never disappointed. Unfortunatley people are to into themselves most times to really try to understand.Sorry again about your family. I ill keep you in my thought that everything comes out all right. Stay positive and enjoy the holiday.Alison

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alison, thank you so much for your kind words, its been a terrible day, and it was nice to know someone cared and was sympathetic. How was the upper GI? I am nervous about that too, I get so sick on things, meds, etc, my system is really senstive. I so worried I will be ill!
Thank you again for your help and supportCB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Copied from http://umm.drkoop.com/conditions/ency/article/000347.htm roz Carcinoid syndrome Causes and Risks: Carcinoid syndrome is the pattern of symptoms that typically are exhibited by people with carcinoid tumors. Carcinoid tumors are tumors that secrete excessive amounts of the hormone serotonin . Serotonin causes the blood vessels to widen (dilate). It also causes increased blood clotting because it stimulates platelets to aggregate (clump together). Serotonin is converted by the body to 5-HIAA . The precursor to serotonin is tryptophan , an amino acid that is also used by the body to manufacture niacin and certain proteins . The most pronounced and bothersome symptoms include: bright red facial flushing , diarrhea (which may be explosively severe), and occasionally wheezing . In children, carcinoid usually occurs in the appendix and removal of the appendix results in a complete cure. Prevention: Treatment of the associated tumor reduces the risk of carcinoid syndrome. Symptoms: flushing , brief episodes rapid pulse ( heart rate ) facial swelling swelling around the eyes low blood pressure abdominal pain , intermittent diarrhea weight loss Signs and Tests: An examination may indicate heart valve lesions or signs of niacin-deficiency disease ( pellagra ). Signs of pellagra develop when most of the available tryptophan is used by the tumor to produce serotonin , which then prevents the body from manufacturing niacin . Total protein is often low. 5-HIAA levels (urine) are elevated. Serotonin levels are elevated. A platelet aggregation test may be abnormal (elevated). Treatment: Surgery is usually not indicated except for isolated tumor . The goal of treatment is to control the symptoms. Increased protein in diet is often recommended and nicotinamide supplements may be prescribed. A serotonin antagonist may be prescribed to control diarrhea and inadequate absorption of nutrients from the intestines ( malabsorption ). Somatostatin and similar medications may be effective in reducing the episodes of flushing and diarrhea and in reversing the hypotension . Prognosis: The symptoms may be controllable with medication. Complications: Hypotension increases the risk of falls and subsequent injury. Increased platelet aggregation increases the risk for blood clots , stroke , deep venous thrombosis , and similar disorders. gastrointestinal bleeding bowel obstruction from tumor mass right-sided heart failure Call Your Healthcare Provider: Call for an appointment with your health care provider if symptoms occur that are suggestive of carcinoid syndrome. Flushing on the chest and shoulders: Patchy redness is apparent across the chest and upper shoulders. Flushing may occur in response to diseases such as carcinoid, pheochromocytoma, mastocytosis; emotional changes; and other conditions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep Andy that is what it is, and it is frequently misdiagnosed as IBS, because the symptoms can be similar. Anyway, wish me luck, ...CB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts