Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,I was just wondering if anyone had been prescribed this as i have been put on the fentanyl patch and been taking it for 2 and a half years now and im still in mega pain,my consultant put me on this painkiller as i have such severe pain yet i dont want to be on such a dangerous painkiller plus i now have a tolerence to it as i have been on it for so long,i cant just stop them as i will get very ill if i do even die so my doctor would have to ween me off of them,yet if i were to try coming off now maybe the pain will be much worse but really cant cope as have no life with pain im in on it,i have been getting more and more depressed and i just want to beg for a colon removal,i am due to see my consultant tomorrow after waiting for months and i expect he wont allow me to have the option of surgery but i am so so desperate as i have no life like this no job,mostly housebound and 2 children who see me mostly on sofa with hottie or in tears this is every day,does anyone know if there would be a chance i could get surgery im at the end of my tether,plus ive tried everything prescriptions and over counter plus enemas the different teas.hope you are all having a nice day but i know your all probably in lots of pain and i so wish i could make everyone better we all dont deserve this noway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you're going through so much pain. It seems strange to me that your doctor thinks you're in enough pain to prescribe a potent and addictive painkiller, but not in enough pain for surgery???!!! And to top it off, opiates, like Fentanyl, can cause severe constipation!!!! I'm curious, what does your doctor think is wrong with you? Have you had tests for colonic inertia or pelvic floor disorders??? I can't believe a doctor would prescribe such a potent medicine for IBS. If you truly have motility problems with your bowel that you think surgery would help, then I would see another doctor for a second opinion ASAP.And you can get off the Fentanyl if you do it VERY SLOWLY. Your doctor can keep stepping you down to less potent drugs over time. But unless you get to the root of the problem, you'll still be in pain, as in fact you say you are.I pray everything works out for you and that you get some real, lasting relief.God bless. Tom

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Tom,thank you so much for your responce.i was diagnosed with severe ibs 5 years ago my abdomin is distended like im 9 months pregnant majority of the time and the pain is awful plus the constipation,i was put on the fentynl patch by my consultant as i had been given others and they didnt work,so then my consultant saw how much pain i was in and decided to put me on the fentynl patch i didnt know much about the drug but if someone is going to offer you something for the pain your going to take it,but yes i had a time where i took it off because my leg swelled out and then my other leg and then day after i took the patch off i started going into withdraw and crikey i was so scared i got sweats palpatations crying loads it made me feel like i was going mad,i then saw my gp and then she told me to put a patch straight back on as my body needed it and if i had left it for to much longer then i could have had a heart attack,i hate being on this pain relief but nothing else seems to help with the pain i have tried coming off of it with the gp's help before and the pain is worse,anyway my last appointment with my consultant was last week and i asked him about surgery and he said if it was just constipation then i would operate but because its constipation and pain i wont because then it will mean you'll still be in pain if we operate,so yet again he wants me to take more tablets another trial tablet from another countrywhich i have to go and collect in 2 weeks time,i just cried and went home,yet another tablet,i am being really put through it,and i really dont know where to turn anymore i spend most days in my pj's cause clothes hurt to much to wear i can barely bath now and thats not like me i am a very hygenic but i just cant now,plus im also getting other symptoms more regular now than i was i was getting these other symptoms about once or twice a month bad but now its every week or more i get severe headaches,my eyes hurt my joints and muscles hurt like i have flu but worse and i start shaking and feel like im dieing and it is so scary,i so need this problem sorted outbut just dont know what more i can do as it just seems no one wants to help me

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone,I was just wondering if anyone had been prescribed this as i have been put on the fentanyl patch and been taking it for 2 and a half years now and im still in mega pain,my consultant put me on this painkiller as i have such severe pain yet i dont want to be on such a dangerous painkiller plus i now have a tolerence to it as i have been on it for so long,i cant just stop them as i will get very ill if i do even die so my doctor would have to ween me off of them,yet if i were to try coming off now maybe the pain will be much worse but really cant cope as have no life with pain im in on it,i have been getting more and more depressed and i just want to beg for a colon removal,i am due to see my consultant tomorrow after waiting for months and i expect he wont allow me to have the option of surgery but i am so so desperate as i have no life like this no job,mostly housebound and 2 children who see me mostly on sofa with hottie or in tears this is every day,does anyone know if there would be a chance i could get surgery im at the end of my tether,plus ive tried everything prescriptions and over counter plus enemas the different teas.hope you are all having a nice day but i know your all probably in lots of pain and i so wish i could make everyone better we all dont deserve this noway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts