Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it is our third day but havent been able to dispense entirely with gluten free bread, this is becayse i havent got many recipes and havent even got hold of the book yeti scoured the healtyh food shop todaty to try and find almond flour- it isnt available in the whole town, i live in dorset england. i dont know where to get almond flour from- i canm get all the other floursi fear i wont be able to make it on this diet if i cant find the ingredients aas almond flour is the only one permitted and i will need to make sweet thigs like muffins as we are used to cakes and breadwould like to hear from anyone who has been on the diet

·
Registered
34,955 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks kathleen, i wet onto your linksi discovered yesterday that almond flur was basically groun almonds and if you carry n grinding it it turns into almond butter- its the same wth al nuts- you cn make pecan flour too.feel a bit down about it becuase all recipes with almnd flour in that ive tried taste the same- and guess what- they taste of almondsits all variations of the same thing, a lot of muffins and biscuits are just eggs and almonds flour. i felt a bit cross too becase i followed the recipe of almond pancakes- and they wrent pancakes at all- they were egg- when you add almonds (which isnt a flour) yu are bakg eggs with alods in them- whihc wuld be fne but they burn before they cook properly as they ahve no fur to form them up- and i even looked at the photos of the recipe and they looked dark brown to- for my sn who is used to proper perfect pancakes that would never do- not being ujngrateful but the whole success in som diets are in the act that they are very close to the real thing- like gluten free flour can make roper biscuits etcbut we have no choice but to follow elaines diet as we ave already tried the celeac diet and it didnt help thats because its dsigned for celeacs not IBS_D so it entirely differet- i undertsand that now but didnt then- when you ahve a gut that all out of balance you have no choice but to moit cerain foods ad thats the end of itthe only things that keps us going is thinking that if we were jews in the ghetto or auswhitch (srry for spellng) elains diet would be wholesome feast- also if we were in zimbabwe we would find this diet a kings diet- chidre over there have nothng to eat but poisenous beans that they have to boil the poison out of and then can ush and ea

·
Registered
908 Posts
I followed it for a while, however the yogurt did not agree with me. I still follow many of the principles of the diet.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The SCD diet was NOT designed for IBS-D (irritable bowel disease), either. It was designed for IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) and it isn't proven that that is the one and only diet they can follow, either. Lots of people with IBD do fine on other diets. Lots of people with IBS-D do fine on other diets.Heck one of the populare IBS diets is basically the anti-SCD diet and I know lots of IBSers who swear by that carb heavy approach.You also can do just a general low carbwithout much in the way of baked goods of any kind at all. Just eat rice for a starch if you really feel you must make yourself eat starch at meals. You don't really need pancakes and muffins and breads in the diet, even the SCD diet you can do it without them. (Now rice may not be SCD but it is on every last low flatus diet, gluten free diet, most every irritable bowel diet other than the low carb ones and generally is one of the most tolerated foods on the planet)A standard low carb diet without all the almond flour and specialty baked goods was found to help some people with IBS-D (It was the Atkins diet and it can have some odd baked goods substitutes but most people don't do any baked goods no matter what kinda thing you grind up for flour). A lot of people just do fine by just not eating starch at any time at any meal. You do not need to replace the starch in your diet with some alternative starch-like substance. Now some people enjoy baked goods, but if you don't like the alternatives you can just not have baked goods in your diets.HOWEVER Not all IBSers respond to diet.Diet is not the only cause of IBS symptoms.Many IBSers have the exact same symptoms on every variety of restrictive diet imaginable. If you find after 3 weeks or so that NONE of thes diets every makes a difference....then go back to eating whatever you like as long as it is healthy and work on other triggers (now some you can control and some you cannot...like the weather...that is out of your control and can effect IBS-D).If you cannot control the IBS with diet you may need medications. It isn't a sign of failure if you need dietary supplements or medications to control IBS, IMO.Some IBS triggers you can control that have nothing to do with diet and often play a much bigger role in when you have symptoms.1. Sleep. Get enough hours of good quality sleep.2. Exercise. Get some moderate exercise, but don't over do it3. Reduce stress. And stressing out over diet changes will often cause more symptoms than any diet can fix.Every single specialty diet has people who do well on it, however no one diet cures everyone. There is on one specific diet you must follow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i was thinking of giving it a year before i gave up on the diet- not three weeks as this is way too soon to expect the gut flora to improve- i think its a slow process and to give up after three weeks is defeatist. i was looking to hear from people who have tried the diet so i can swap notes so if anyone out there is doing it or interested in doing it please let me know. i think sometimes you just ahve to do these things without thinking too much about them- if you start questioning them too much then they wont work as they dont get a chance to- it isnt a quick fix and it is something that someone can be creative with but i think its a good thing to follow if someone has never had a solid stool not even once for years then i think it is the only way forward- extreme symptoms require extreme measures unfortunately- if there as any otherway that w could happily eat starchy foods we would- fact is we cant as i have tried all other things. however we are giving the doctor a stool,sample and if this comes out with any requirements for antibiotics or meds and if we try this and it cures the constant, constant d then of course we will embrace a treatment and a cure. but from the sounds of people desperate posts who have had every test going and tried every medication going and still have chrionic d then i have to face that this might be a possability and giving the diet up afterv three weeks would be going to square one again as we have tried other diets.5the only thing i am worried about is the extreme nature of this diet in the fact that we cant have anything with any starch what so ever and i dont know if its sustainable- it may be that we have to mix a bit with gluten free products or eat starch foods but keep them to a absoluetm minimum- but then if we did this the whole thing might not come off and wouldnt work so i have to bear that in mind to- but i do know that nothing works unless you give it a good go and i would ahve to do it properly in order for it to work

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
That doesn't change the fact you don't have to make baked goods with alternative flours to be on this diet. A lot of people crave that kind of thing and like the taste of the alternatives so they are great for those people.Low carb diets WITHOUT any almond or any other flour or starch of any kind at all also work for IBS-D. Atkins induction diet that works within 6 weeks (not a year most people with in a couple of weeks and we have had people who have been sick for a very long time get better the very first day they ate a strict low carb diet with IBS-D so I don't think everyone needs a year of eating food they cannot stand before seeing any benefit at all) has been studied for IBS-D specifically.Why stress out eating something you can't stand? That stress isn't going to help, and you don't have to eat those things to follow this or any other similar diet.Stressing out over the diet (which it kinda sounded like you might be doing) can do more harm than a "bad" diet. Also diet doesn't always work for everyone, but the Atkins diet did work for I think all 13 people that were in the study and it wasn't only after a year.I find setting oneself up with the idea you must do a year of something you don't like and only after the end of the year might you see anything, and that often comes with a "I messed up one day during the year so that is why it failed" attitude sometimes does more harm that good. Relaxing and enjoying food rather than making every meal a stressed out struggle of forcing yourself to eat something you can't stand the taste of....which sounds more healing to you? I know some people seem to need to make something very hard and a struggle to feel like they are "doing something" but I just hope you don't make this a year of failure because one day you ate something not on your list, or that you feel you need to force yourself to eat recipes for things that are allowed but you don't happen to like. I hope you can find some food you find enjoyable on the allowed list. Otherwise it sounds like torture, to me at least.That being said, I think anyone can find a relaxed, happy enjoyable way to eat even on severely restrictive diets with a lot of rules. I think the key is find the what you enjoy and focus on that rather than there is these ingredients on the allowed list that I must find a way to force myself to eat. If you can't stand the taste of almonds, then don't keep trying to make things with almond flour. Nothing is going to taste quite the same as wheat flour products. But I actually enjoy cookies made with almond flour or noodles made with quinoa or rice so for me that wouldn't be bad and I do eat those things on occasion. Finding what you like and enjoy is important. Don't spend a lot of time with the stuff you don't like, there are other things on the diet to eat.Some people can sustain a starch free diet for long periods of time. But it requires finding things you love to eat, not forcing yourself to eat things you can't stand just because they are on the list.Have you tried Calcium Carbonate (no magenisum in the tablets) or is that too much like a medicine? Have you tried hypnotherapy tapes? Those have sometimes worked for people who nothing at all ever worked, not any medication nor any diet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I tried the SCD diet for a while. I cut out carbs for a period of 4 months. I didn't really see any improvement, but I never got around to making the yogurt, which is a valuable part of the regimen. I really liked the rationale behind the diet however, and might try again with the yogurt this time. I ended up losing about 20 pounds while on the diet. The food is so dense that it's hard to eat a lot.By the way, almond flour is nothing but ground, blanched almonds. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find that in your town.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts