Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,just wondered if any of you have gotten to the stage when you really cant take anymore?i have no life like this eveyday i suffer severe pain cramps spasms bloating constipation plus i also start feeling weird at times is really horrible i think its the toxins in my body cos i dont go bm normally,i have really go to a stage where i feel i cant carry on unless something is really done for me,i have 2 kids and i cant do hardly anything with them anymore and im basically housebound,im crying whilst writing this i have no life im in so much pain just want doctors to do something i cant live like this,ok ibs may not be life threatening but its killing my as a person and the pain is intolerable,im on fentynl pain patches which are morphine based pain killer have been on that for 2 years buteven that doesnt stop my pain also on loads more meds,please can someone just tell me if they feel this way and what they have done as im desprate???

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi everyone,just wondered if any of you have gotten to the stage when you really cant take anymore?i have no life like this eveyday i suffer severe pain cramps spasms bloating constipation plus i also start feeling weird at times is really horrible i think its the toxins in my body cos i dont go bm normally,i have really go to a stage where i feel i cant carry on unless something is really done for me,i have 2 kids and i cant do hardly anything with them anymore and im basically housebound,im crying whilst writing this i have no life im in so much pain just want doctors to do something i cant live like this,ok ibs may not be life threatening but its killing my as a person and the pain is intolerable,im on fentynl pain patches which are morphine based pain killer have been on that for 2 years buteven that doesnt stop my pain also on loads more meds,please can someone just tell me if they feel this way and what they have done as im desprate???
Yes, many of us have been struggling for years...I keep going back to my gastroenterologist, now he has referred me to a colo-rectal surgeon. In the meantime am using over the counter laxatives in order to be able to function. A warning about painkillers, they contribute to making constipation worse. But you don't mention having had any tests to determine what could be causing the pain/cramps/spasms/constipation. For example, the spruce test to see if you are allergic to wheat and gluten, a colonoscopy, a barium enema, thyroid, hormonal imbalances, etcetera. I think a good general physician and/or gastroenterologistic would be having you tested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem. I just cant take it any more. When I was in high school, I would write disturbing things in a journal, how I dont even want to live anymore because theres no point. Im always in bed in pain. My parents sent me to see 4 psychs and it didnt help. Two days ago, I went to a town 40 minutes away from my house and was in so much pain, I wanted to go home. As my dad drove me home, I thought i was going to go crazy, the pain was so unbearable. But even when I am home, Im in as much pain. I have seen so many gastros. I wish there was an IBS coach, someone I can see regularly, who can tell me what to do and eat and try to help me figure out what I get the pain from. Plus, now I dont even want to have bowel movements, because I get more pain after them. Last night I was in pain till about 3AM and everyone was sleeping. I felt so alone, I wrote in my journal again. It too was very disturbing. The doctor thinks i should go on anti spazmatics but that can cause constipation, which I already have. I like the idea of the patch because I have just been taking tylenol. I also like the idea of that test to see what i am allergic to.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same problem. I just cant take it any more. When I was in high school, I would write disturbing things in a journal, how I dont even want to live anymore because theres no point. Im always in bed in pain. My parents sent me to see 4 psychs and it didnt help. Two days ago, I went to a town 40 minutes away from my house and was in so much pain, I wanted to go home. As my dad drove me home, I thought i was going to go crazy, the pain was so unbearable. But even when I am home, Im in as much pain. I have seen so many gastros. I wish there was an IBS coach, someone I can see regularly, who can tell me what to do and eat and try to help me figure out what I get the pain from. Plus, now I dont even want to have bowel movements, because I get more pain after them. Last night I was in pain till about 3AM and everyone was sleeping. I felt so alone, I wrote in my journal again. It too was very disturbing. The doctor thinks i should go on anti spazmatics but that can cause constipation, which I already have. I like the idea of the patch because I have just been taking tylenol. I also like the idea of that test to see what i am allergic to.
Hi Jaimee. I am really sorry that you are experiencing this pain. I to used to have pain like this but do not anymore. We are all different and respond to different things. In my case much of my pain was caused by certain food intolerances, oversensitivity to gastric pain and stress. I have used a visualization technique to help this. In reading over this forum, many people seem to have benefited from Hypnotherapy. Have any of you tried this? Once again we are all different with this condition with different causes and different treatments. There is something out there that will help you. Just keep at it. Believe me, I tried a lot of them. Be careful some of the treatments can have side effects that can just make the condition worse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello. I have to say that I have been crying reading your post. Your story is my story. But please listen to me!!!! There is help! I am a success story, but I lived as you are living....feeling there is just no hope. I am not a doctor, nor do I have medical experience. However,I am surprised to find out that you are on so much medication, particularly the morphine patch; as it is known that narcotic drugs will make constipation symptoms worse. Please ! do not stop taking medication on my advice. However, I would seek out a new doctor. Start from scratch. I discovered that my IBS C had an underlying trigger. SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). Like IBS, it is not curable...but treatable and I have been able to treat mine without drugs (after one round of antibiotics). I have reconstructed my diet and have been 95 percent symptom free to this date (9/l4/l0). Please don't give up. I know your pain. It is truly a state of suffering. Please consult a new doctor and read up on constipation, IBS and SIBO. I don't believe you have to go on like this. I hope this post clears your tears and maybe even puts a hint of a hopeful smile on you. God Bless and my honest best wishes for your returned good health.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I am new to this site and am really looking for help and advice, On april 9th this year i started experiencing excrutiating pain in my abdomen, and have had it now on a daily basis since that day, I have seen a urologist, gynaecologist and at present am seeing a gastrologist all areas have been checked with numerus scans, x-rays, laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, sigmoidoscopy, and am now waiting for a colonoscopy, yesterday i was told by my gastrologist that if nothing showed up on a colonoscopy or a ct scan of my small intestine then i would be one of the few people that would never know the cause of my pain.
not exactly what i wanted to hear.Looking over my history I have had the same pain in the past but not for the amount of time i have had it this time round, the worst lasted a month which was 2 years ago and doctors said it must of been a kidney stone that passed, the time before that i had just conceived so they put it down to that, the time before it was apparently my appendix so it was removed i was later told there was nothing wrong with the appendix. But here's the interesting thing when i was 16 i was told i had a spastic colon ( known now as IBS) but not once during my latest sickness has IBS been mentioned to me.I have been on painkillers, antispasm tablets and a tablet to help me through the night, these are ok until they start wearing off before i can take my next dose. I have not been able to work since April as i get no warning of the pain, I am constipated to the point i am lucky if i go once a week, however dr has now given me movicol which seems to help with the constipation occassionally, however it does not help with the pain. I have to force myself to go to out the front door as i am frightened of getting the pain and humiliating myself in public, my 4 children see me doubled over on a regular basis and it's really starting to get me down, most days i try to sleep, or i end up crying, doing the slightest thing around the house can set off the pain.What makes things harder is I don't always look sick as some days are better than other's so friends,family and colleagues seem to assume I am 'OK' I guess what I'm asking is could i be suffering with IBS-C? everything seems to point to it but i know a few people who say they have IBS but don't suffer the pain. All i need is someone tell me I am not going mad because right now I really am starting to feel that way.
Shell

·
Registered
92 Posts
Others may have more information for you, but one thing I don't accept is thatthe doctors can't find the source of the pain. I hope you'll go to more thanone gastroenterologist as some are better than others and hopefully you canget to the source of the pain, and get some relief.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone who replied,yes sorry i didnt mention what tests i have had well over the 5 years i dont feel they have done enough tests for that period of time,i first had a test for celiac wheat came back nothing wrong then a barium enema,then a sigmoidoscapy they found a polyp so they removed it was very small,then i had the camera down only because my mum got so ill she got taken into hospital for persistant vomiting after being diagnosed 20 years ago haveing ibs and then she was admitted to hospital for 4 months almost dying as he deudodeum tube had closed up aparently she had it when she was born and eventually over the years it was closeing up,so they only did the camera down because i got a letter from my mums doctor to take to mine otherwise they wouldnt have done it,i have had xrays which have shown up lots of stools around my colon that was when my consultant admitted me to hospital after he saw me in clinic and i was in tears and swollen tum bad but that was waste of time and they said we will admit you into hospital when it gets to bad so you can have a rest god knows why cos its bad all the time,use less not long after that i had a hysterectomy for other health reasons and they were reluctant to do the op incase it made me worse but in the end they had no choice it had to be done,after that my dad came to an appointment to see my consultant and my dad said you havent looked at her small intestine and it wasnt my consultant it was his registar i saw and she was very nasty to me me tum was swelled out huge as always and she didnt like my dad asking for another test so she kept trying to talk us out of it like oh dont expect it to show anything up,in the end she got me so upset i had to walk out i had never walked out on an appointment but she really upset me bad,anyway i got a barium swallow and i went for that and i was in and out of the xray room and kept being sent out eventually i was the last one waiting around so they got me in and put a football on my tummy and started rolling it around with the machine i thought finally they have figured what is going on i have a slow transit but when i saw my consultant for my results he said yep not much to worry about just a little slow transit,i couldnt believe it fobbed off again and he gave me some different tablet to try that didnt work yet again,i am so tired off this now i have 2 kids which i cant do anything with them anymore i cant work as this ibs is everyday and am in pain everyday plus its a big struggle to get benefits,im in bed clothes all day cos its no use getting dressed i cant go anywhere cos of the pain im basically housebound,housework allways builds up cant do it,no social life its so difficult and plus i get other pains cos im constipated so much i get toxins getting into my bodie and shake and shiver mas headpain joints and muscles feels like im gonna die and gets me so scared i can hardly walk,i just want the bowel out now cant live like this,my mum is coming with me to my appointment on monday at hospital and she going to tell my consultant i have no quality of life like this i really hope me mum can get through to them cos i cant take much more.hope you are all feeling ok,bless you all keep strong i know there isant much else we can all do. x

·
Registered
171 Posts
Have any of you tried Miralax for the constipation. Docs said diarrhea is better than having constipation. You just have to drink more fluids. It's 8 oz of water per 1 cap of miralax. I take 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening on really bad days i do a regimen of 3 days of 16 oz two times a day, then 2 days down to 8 oz two times a day, and adjust as needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.