Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,I'm a bit down in the dumps today, after having a spell of diarrhea this morning and crying about it for about an hour, lame I know, I've decided I need some cheering up.I've accepted my condition, which was hard in itself, but I don't want to feel miserable and depressed about it anymore.I want to turn over a new leaf and view the condition in a different light.So I just wandered whether anyone had found any positives from having IBS? Has anyone gained something good in their lives from having the condition?For me it has to be that I've learn to cook. Before I had IBS I used to be able to cook the basics but now I can cook a much more diverse range of foods and I am not afraid to experiment! It's also allowed me to be much more sociable, I cook for friends each week and have a little gathering round my place. Knowing that I can also eat the food and seeing others cheers me up immensely
I hope this thread will cheer me and others up, it would be nice to hear that IBS has had some form of a positive influence on peoples lives.Thanks,Sophie.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi Sophie,Sorry to hear that you have had a bad morning, but good to see you are trying to think positively.I agree with you re the cooking, also knowing what foods/ingredients can be beneficial and what the benefits can be, on the flit side knowing what is not so good. Not to say I don’t have the 'bad' stuff every now and then as treats, just that I know how I may feel after, but then again sometimes I am fine after.Also trying to make the most of the time when you are not feeling down or in pain because of it, making the most of the day etc...Hopefully over the course of time there will be other things I could add to this as I have only been suffering since last summer (although it feels soooo much longer than that) and now near a full on diagnosis following further 'exploratory' tests.Ippo

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey IPPO,I was diagnosed last summer as well. They were very quick at crossing anything out conditions out due to feeling the benefits of changing my diet. I'm at uni, fortunately we have a doctors practise on-site but whenever I go there is always a different doctors which doesn't help. But on a positive note, it does mean I have work to concentrate on and to take my mind off things.I'm going home over easter so that I can meet with my family doctor with whom I trust and have a good relationship with in hope of reviewing the current situation.Thanks, wish you all the best with your diagnosis and future treatment,Sophie.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Re diagnosis I think I am pretty much there. Since this started doctors have said suspect IBS but following test;UltrasoundGastroscopyColonscopyBloos test x 2Stool testAll normal apart from a few things on the Gastroscopy re excess acid. So doc who did latest test recons IBS but waiting on results of biopsys and got follow up in a couple of weeks.Hope you have a nice time at home over easter.Ippo

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow you've had alot of tests; I've had two blood tests (to rule out coeliacs, annemia and virus's). Perhaps when I go home the doctor may do more tests or tell me to keep going with the food/symptom diary. Thanks - I know I will enjoy easter, even if I'm ill and fed up, I'll be seeing my family for 3 weeks - nothing will make me happier
Sophie.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
no i have have not one thing positive about ibs to say>>>>only that my lab loves it when i am home all day on the couch with D she gets to have me all day long to lie down by and get petted by the hours!!!! that is the one thing that also helps with my anger and depresson over this disease>>she brings me peace in this hell

·
Registered
6 Posts
My positives would be:better cook yes :(lost weightdon't drink carbonated beverages which aren't good for you anyway :)I'd say I eat healthier because of itI get out and walk or hike more which is good for yah (even when I wake up and don't feel like doing it, I feel better afterwords for doing it!)Don't get me wrong I have my bad days too, but thinking on the positives..there's mine
)

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I had daily D for 10 years, so there was no point during that period when I would have had anything good to say about it; HOWEVER it did force me to take a good, long look at how I was living my life and how the choices I had made had impacted my health. In 1998, I was talked into trying some vitamin/minerals to address my falling asleep at the wheel. They worked and I stopped being a threat to everyone on the highway! A few months later I added a new flavonoid complex to address my cholesterol, so I could avoid taking Lipitor for the rest of my life. Not only did it help with the cholesterol, it also began a long process in repairing the damage I had done to my GI system. Cheered by that, I began taking a glucosamine mixture for an arthritic hip that was keeping me from being active. That pain stopped. No longer kept inside by the IBS and arthritis, I began riding a bike, took Tai Chi, entered a gym for the first time in 30 years, lost weight, and rediscovered the person I used to be. The best part is that through supplementation alone, with no input from the medical system, I not only got rid of the D but also reduced my risk of a heart attack from 50% to 2%. I really don't think I would have started down this path had it not been for the IBS. So for me, while I really would have preferred to not deal with this, it was the best possible outcome I could have imagined.Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had daily D for 10 years, so there was no point during that period when I would have had anything good to say about it; HOWEVER it did force me to take a good, long look at how I was living my life and how the choices I had made had impacted my health. In 1998, I was talked into trying some vitamin/minerals to address my falling asleep at the wheel. They worked and I stopped being a threat to everyone on the highway! A few months later I added a new flavonoid complex to address my cholesterol, so I could avoid taking Lipitor for the rest of my life. Not only did it help with the cholesterol, it also began a long process in repairing the damage I had done to my GI system. Cheered by that, I began taking a glucosamine mixture for an arthritic hip that was keeping me from being active. That pain stopped. No longer kept inside by the IBS and arthritis, I began riding a bike, took Tai Chi, entered a gym for the first time in 30 years, lost weight, and rediscovered the person I used to be. The best part is that through supplementation alone, with no input from the medical system, I not only got rid of the D but also reduced my risk of a heart attack from 50% to 2%. I really don't think I would have started down this path had it not been for the IBS. So for me, while I really would have preferred to not deal with this, it was the best possible outcome I could have imagined.Mark
What an uplifting story!! Congrats to getting your life back

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've had 2 bouts of IBS. The first lasted from March 2005 to September 2006. I recoverd from the first bout shortly after I stopped taking my cholesterol lowering medication.The second bout ran from Sep 2008 to Feb 2009. I recovered when I acknowledged that my mind was controlling the way my gut felt.Discovering the power of the mind and learning HOW to prevent my mind using my gut as a "stress outlet" was worth every bit of my IBS misery.Jackmat

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think another positive effect could be losing weight.With all these episodes, I am pretty much expelling everything in my body.

·
Registered
80 Posts
positives.....? now thats a thinker. ....still thinkingok i give up
but maybe i can work on making something pos out of it. eating healthier and exercising more sound like a good place to start.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Puzzel,yes I found it hard to find positives which is why I started this thread, in hope that other peoples stories and their experiences might shed some light on our own and perhaps make us think of some positives to come out of living with IBS. It cheers me up more and I hope it does for you.Jackmat,after your advice on laughing after every abdominal pain and when going to bed telling yourself the pain is all in your head it has helped ease the abdominal discomfort but it hasn't altered my bowel movements. I think I have to change my medication, I'm going for a consultation with the doctors tomorrow about it. I'm also realising that stress might be a trigger so I'm also dropping in for some councilling tomorrow to hopefully get to the root of my emotional stress (not just during stressful times with uni) and to find ways in managing it. As you never know, stress may be the root caused of my problem, and it may *prays* stop my symptoms.Sophie.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sophie, If are doing the "laughing" and tackling it as a "head" issue, you should be warned that on around day 3, 4 or 5 you may probably feel worse. And if you do, you are on the road to recovery.Feeling worse means that that you've thrown the mind-gut connection into confusion, and that your brain is offering a last gasp resistance to your re-programming. So, don't despair.And yes, definitely look for effective ways to manage your stress.Jackmat

·
Registered
4 Posts
It has had some positive's. I know more about foods and what they contain, as well as knowing more about herbs and teas and medicines and essential oils. I drink less alcohol, I've stopped smoking and I don't drink caffiene. I also now exercise more often and I make sure I get a good nights sleep - which I've found to be VERY important - and I eat properely. Also I'll be able to share this knowledge with my children (if I ever have them) and anyone else who cares.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Due to my IBS, and my inability to go to work because of it, I have become a house-husband (very suitable to my familys' way of life). This has led me to appreciate how hard the job is - especially if you need to include the school run too.......an aspect I stopped 18 months ago when my daughter started at college and gets the bus.Also, it has helped me appreciate illness and handicap more. Baz

1 - 20 of 23 Posts