Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear quite a few people who talk about family members with similar symptoms.Im just interested as I have IBS c and have had it bad for 6 years.I have had the barium enema, colonoscopy and endoscopy.I have seen many doctors and they freely admit they dont know what the cause is.I maintain an open mind about the causes of IBS. I think i have taken the investigative side of things as far as i can now. I have not ruled out the possibility that it is contagious. If it is bacterial it may well be. Although unlikely.Anyway. please tell me if any of your family has similar symptoms. Thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Twin studies indicate there probably is some genetics involved as having the same exact genes as someone with IBS seems to make you more likely to get it.But there is a large environmental side as not every identical twin pair both have IBS.They have found the damage from a GI infection does seem to be one of those environmental factors. If you look at people who had a diagnosed bout of food poisoning they are 4X to 20X more likely to have IBS a year later than someone of the same age and health that doesn't get one that year. The infection clears up just fine, but the body seems to have trouble getting over the collateral damage to itself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
New here but this caught my eye---My mother had the same thing for many years getting ever worse no diagnoses/cure. I have had "stomach issues" since babyhood which have a tentative diagnoses after testing as IBS-CD, got worse after gall bladder surgery; now my mid-20's daughter has the same thing after gall bladder surg. My grand father died having the same surgery. Several other members of the immed family might well have had IBS from family discussions---all have commited suicide so it is kinda hard to ask! Gee that suicide thing---might it be linked to having this IBS sort of thing? Hmmm---another thing to ask the MD about.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New here but this caught my eye---My mother had the same thing for many years getting ever worse no diagnoses/cure. I have had "stomach issues" since babyhood which have a tentative diagnoses after testing as IBS-CD, got worse after gall bladder surgery; now my mid-20's daughter has the same thing after gall bladder surg. My grand father died having the same surgery. Several other members of the immed family might well have had IBS from family discussions---all have commited suicide so it is kinda hard to ask! Gee that suicide thing---might it be linked to having this IBS sort of thing? Hmmm---another thing to ask the MD about.
My Dad and Grandad have had their gall bladder removed. Interesting hey.One day someone will join up the dots.Good luck x

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep, my Grandmother, my mom and myself all have IBS-D. Seems to run in the family.... I wonder if I looked into the family history, if I would find some early settler that came over from England on a boat where they entertained other passengers and scared the children with grizzly tales of their IBS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi My story is I started suffering with this in Junior high-I was very anxious, trying to fit in..etc-I also have many family members who suffer with IBS-colon cancer also runs in my family- I've had colonscopy, endoscopy, blood work-celiac disease checked, lastose checked-everything comes back fine-I'm am out currently on disability from work. I was told I have Gad-generalized anxiety-I take lexapro & xanax- I get night sweats or cold sweats on and off-been checked for thyroid-My family seems to do better than I with it-Some days I'm so sad and or angry!

·
Registered
2 Posts
HiThere is no one in my family who has been diagnosed with IBS apart from me as far as I know, but have quite a few in the family with other stress related disorders and illnesses.My cousin suffers with gastroenteritis on numourious occations, my son was born with Gastroschisis (bowel on the outside) and has had Trichtillomania (stress related disorder, he uncontiously pulls his eyelashes out) since being about 5yrs old, I have an uncle who suffers with stomach ulsers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.