Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any of my fellow IBS'ers have taken this stuff? My gi doc just prescibe it to me and I have to admit that that is the NASTIEST stuff that I ever had to drink. I mix it with orange juice, but still that doesn't cut the bad taste. Does anyone have any suggestions of something better to mix this with?I'm an IBS/IBD-d type, so I'm guessing this is supposed to help with the D. I'm supposed to drink 3 glasses daily. Yeah,right!!
Brandi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yep, I do the questran when I need to. I also mix mine with orange juice, I find the pulp kind is the best. Helps to cut the residue. 3 per day sounds like a lot. You might find you need to play with the dose. Don't knock it. It sure beats high tailing it to the john.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I was taking the Questrian for awhile,and yes its the nastiest thing I ever tasted,I just mixed mine with water,and took it 4x's a day,and it really did nothing for my "D" so my GI stopped it.Sorry I couldn't help you any.------------------ShyOne (D-type)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi Brandi,I take the Questran Light once a day. I mix it with applesauce and it's much better that way. It will NOT dissolve in liquids. You can also get it in pill form. It is called Cholestid and you have to take two pills a day. They are very large pills so if you have trouble swallowing pills I wouldn't try that. This stuff has been a miracle drug for me. Am I cured? No, but I'm a lot better and don't have any "D" unless I get careless with the diet. Good luck to you with it.------------------Joe

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've been on Questran since April. And yes it had given me my life back. I couldn't drink it so I put it in applesauce or mashed bananas and it was much easier to get down. Drink lots of water with this stuff. But I got sick of the eating or drinking of it so now I am on the Colestid pill form and this seems to have done better for me. I have actually gone "C" on these pills. I take two a day. But when the C shows up I go to 1 pill and I am fine. I also don't seem to get the heartburn I got from the liquid form. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
374 Posts
QUESTRAN= is mostly used in lowering the cholesterol.But it is also used with chron's or severe D,because it bulk the stool,and may/can even constipated. It must be taken with liquid,never dry.Never mix other medication with questran,it may increase the effect or change the degree of absoption the effect.Take an hour appart,at least.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For those of you who can't stand the taste of Questran, I have been taking a generic powdered version that has sucrose added, and it tastes fine. There is barely any flavor at all. The manufacturer of this version is Apothecon, Inc. The label on the can says "Cholestyramine for Oral Suspension, USP Powder."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've tried Questran for about two/three months. I didn't do much for me. However, OJ with lots a pulp eases it down. Make sure you shake it often 'cause it doesn't mix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts