Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up about completley raw diet, and the benefits of it.Apparently many people with cancer and other illnesses have reportedly gone into remission after staying on a completley raw diet for a while.I wondered if it would make a difference on people with IBS.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_foodismHere's a wikipedia link to the article about raw foodism.I think it might be a good place to start, eating a diet consisting of 75% raw fruits, vegatables and nuts/seeds couldnt be too bad on your digestive system and most likley far better than the average human diet.Just wondering if anyone here does a raw food diet or has tried it?? Did it help your IBS at all??

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some IBSers find raw fruits and vegetables are more likely to bother them than cooked veggies and fruits. Not sure about grains and nuts, but a lot of people do seem to find nuts in general bother them, not sure about raw vs roasted.In Chinese medical theory and how they view IBS they would suggest you eat more cooked foods because raw food takes more to digest and you don't want to make the intestines work so hard. Cooked food is seen as already partly digested. That is really opposite the view the raw food movement has of food.Occasionally we get someone that does well on a raw food vegan diet, but most of the time far more people complain they cannot eat any raw veggies at all and would love to eat a nice salad but it just isn't worth the increase in symptoms.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I never really though about that.I dont suffer from abdominal pain at all.I only suffer from going from constipated to...really un constipated and nothing inbetween.I guess I can understand how certain foods can make this harder on certain people.It was just a thought though.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Occasionally someone will do well on a raw diet. But we have a lot more people that just get tore up (pain or severe diarrhea) every time they try to eat anything raw.Now being on the more constipated end the higher fiber in most raw diets (compared to standard American highly processed diet) may do some good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some IBSers find raw fruits and vegetables are more likely to bother them than cooked veggies and fruits. Not sure about grains and nuts, but a lot of people do seem to find nuts in general bother them, not sure about raw vs roasted.In Chinese medical theory and how they view IBS they would suggest you eat more cooked foods because raw food takes more to digest and you don't want to make the intestines work so hard. Cooked food is seen as already partly digested. That is really opposite the view the raw food movement has of food.Occasionally we get someone that does well on a raw food vegan diet, but most of the time far more people complain they cannot eat any raw veggies at all and would love to eat a nice salad but it just isn't worth the increase in symptoms.
I tried the raw vegan diet. It didn't work for me. I found that my symptoms were the same, and I also had a loss of appetite and didn't enjoy eating that much because it was always such an effort to make a salad, or nut/fruit/grain cereal, smoothies, juices, and it cost me a fortune.I lost quite a bit of weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts