Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has taken this new AMP molecule called: Aloe Mucilaginous Polysaccharide molecule. It's supposed to help with everything from IBS to cancer. It sounds too good to be true--but people have said it works!

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Every miracle cure has great testamonials from people claiming it worked.Generally is something sounds too good to be true, it is.Anything which has NO side effects pretty much by definition has NO biological activity. Water and table salt have side effects.I'm not sure what out of the aloe they are claiming this is but one of the sites made it sound like it might be from just under the leaf (the latex not the gel). Aloe latex can be a powerful laxative, and I'm not sure if AMP=Latex or not.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Every miracle cure has great testamonials from people claiming it worked.Generally is something sounds too good to be true, it is.Anything which has NO side effects pretty much by definition has NO biological activity. Water and table salt have side effects.I'm not sure what out of the aloe they are claiming this is but one of the sites made it sound like it might be from just under the leaf (the latex not the gel). Aloe latex can be a powerful laxative, and I'm not sure if AMP=Latex or not.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
There seems to be enough people on the board having good luck with Ibsacol that I think it may be helping some people, but then placebos help a goodly number of IBS patients as well.Testamonials are generally not solid evidence for anything (prescirption drugs--lots of testimonials about how antibiotics cured peoples colds and other viral infections for which there is no possible way they could have helped,--medical procedures, dietary supplements) and I have yet to see any of the dietary supplements where they don't have glowing testimonials about them (If for no other reason than everything has a spontaneous remission rate, even IBS, and someone will have the remission happen to coincide with the starting a new treatment--which is one of the problems in controlled clinical trials, a lot of people get better on the placebo.At least with Ibsacol they aren't claiming it cures everything, only that it helps control some things. When the claims (like for AMP) say it cures everything (and claims for it cures cancer generally make my fraud alarm go off big time) the more likely something is bogus IMO.There are a few clinical studies with some of the things from aloe, but I don't think what is there in any way backs up the claims made for the dietary supplements, but people will use whatever they can to get people to buy supplements no matter how far you have to stretch the data. What concerns me particularly is that it's supposed to be an immune booster and it is being promotoed for IBD's which are inflamatory disease where you do not want any immune boosting as the problem is the immune system is in hyperdrive to begin with.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
There seems to be enough people on the board having good luck with Ibsacol that I think it may be helping some people, but then placebos help a goodly number of IBS patients as well.Testamonials are generally not solid evidence for anything (prescirption drugs--lots of testimonials about how antibiotics cured peoples colds and other viral infections for which there is no possible way they could have helped,--medical procedures, dietary supplements) and I have yet to see any of the dietary supplements where they don't have glowing testimonials about them (If for no other reason than everything has a spontaneous remission rate, even IBS, and someone will have the remission happen to coincide with the starting a new treatment--which is one of the problems in controlled clinical trials, a lot of people get better on the placebo.At least with Ibsacol they aren't claiming it cures everything, only that it helps control some things. When the claims (like for AMP) say it cures everything (and claims for it cures cancer generally make my fraud alarm go off big time) the more likely something is bogus IMO.There are a few clinical studies with some of the things from aloe, but I don't think what is there in any way backs up the claims made for the dietary supplements, but people will use whatever they can to get people to buy supplements no matter how far you have to stretch the data. What concerns me particularly is that it's supposed to be an immune booster and it is being promotoed for IBD's which are inflamatory disease where you do not want any immune boosting as the problem is the immune system is in hyperdrive to begin with.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.