Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my first colonoscopy after dealing with ibs for 4yrs! I had it yesterday and everything looked normal but they took a biopsy so im waiting for those results. I had gotten my hopes up that maybe they would find the problem and am pretty annoyed that things look normal. ANyways i was looking online and came across an artical for a drug called ketotifen the artical seems pretty new but i was wondering if anyone has tried it and if its helped??

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You mean this one http://www.medicinenet.com/ketotifen-oral_tablet/article.htm typically used for asthma or in eye drops for eye allergies?Where did you find the article? do you still have the link?It stabalizes mast cells from a quick scan and mast cells release chemicals that trigger diarrhea, etc, so it might have some use for some people.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
With the type of testing they did usually somewhere around 70% have rectal based hypersensitivity.It seems interesting, but a lot of thins seem very promising in an intial study like that and some pan out and some don't.I'd like to see what the real numbers are (rather than it significantly reduced compared to placebo) but they didn't put that in the abstract. Usually it is hard to know if that means 40% did better or more than that did better and they did screen to make sure they only studied (from what it sounds like in the abstract) the people who responded on the rectal hypersensitivity test.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm trying it now.2 days so far.Only took 1 mg at night since it has a severe sedating effect on me.Trying to build up tolerance and increase dosage.I've woken in the morning with NO PAIN for these 2 days which is rare for me lately.However, I'm not yet certain if this isn't attributed to the sedating effect of the meds.I'm going to continue this trial and see if can really help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.