Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am desperately seeking information for a friend who has MS and is having severe problems with her colon. She has tried to hvae a barrium enema on two different occasions but cannot complete it because of the pain. What happens in situation such as this? Did you have your test with an anesthetic to make it easier? Any information would be helpful. Please, please reply if you know anything about this.E-mail address is SLong10268###aol.com. Thanks, Suzanne(from Ky.)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
COLONOSCOPY, i think that this test would be the one your friend would be the test to look into, you are kinda asleep for it, and it as you can see the best,good luck charlie
This test is the best test to look for cancer and polyps and will discover over 95% of these lesions (barium enemas will miss 15%-20%). If a polyp is found, it can be removed at the same time; this is painless since you have no pain nerves in the lining of your colon. Biopsies can also be done if a mass is found or if colitis (inflammation) is suspected. When pain is the primary symptom, this is not the best test to do since a barium enema will provide more information about the shape and function of the colon. As with the upper panendoscopy, an IV is placed so that sedation can be given. The test generally takes thirty to sixty minutes and the waking up time is twenty to thirty minutes. This is not a painful test if done properly! The only time this test is painful is if the doctor doesn't give you enough sedation. The colon must be very clean to do the test and therefor harsh laxatives must be given beforehand to purge completely

·
Registered
265 Posts
It could be due to the shape of her colon. My doctor also told me he will not proceed with the colonoscopy if he is unable to push the scope through, for fear of puncturing the colon. Luckily it went well for me. I hope her doctor will be real careful... << SiMoN >>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Simon, for responding. I appreciate knowing that this can and does happen sometime. I appreciate your information. Suzanne

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was told when i had one done that the reason why they sometimes can not conmplete one is if you haven't used all the diet and laxatives the day before properly and your not completely cleaned out.kitters

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.