Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New to the forum, but not to the illness. I was curious as to if anyone has tried yoga to try to at least lessen/alleviate their IBS symptoms. Given that the disease can be triggered or made worse by stress/anxiety/depression, I gave it a try (I was definitely skeptical about the whole thing). I can say from my 30 day plus experiment, that while it didn't completely cure my symptoms it did provide quite a bit of relief. I was following a beginners regiment (just on youtube, type in 30 days of yoga with Adriene, and I did her 30 days beginners course, sorry I'm not sure if I can link it). I had no prior yoga experience and the lessons are anywhere from 10-30 minutes. I have to admit staying with it during that period wasn't the easiest, as there are just "those days" where I had to push through it, but at the end I actually found quite a bit of relief. I learned during my sessions that yoga teaches one to let go of conscious and unconscious stress in both the mind and body. Well, anyway, to sort of provide some experimental data on this, I stopped doing yoga for a period of about 2 or so weeks (I actually got busy and put it aside for a bit) and my symptoms came back pretty hard (frequent trips to the bathroom, loose stools, uneasy feeling in my intestines, fatigue and mental anxiety). I'm going to pick it up again and see if my symptoms reduce like they did before, so I'll definitely report back. I just thought I'd provide another potential tool to solving the mysteries of this ailment.

-Michael

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just started again yesterday after my couple week hiatus. Just in my first session, I could feel the anxiety and tightness within me untangle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts