Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,I'm new, and I have found the information on this website to be very helpful. I have been suffering with IBS for the past 20 years. My symptoms are constipation an the WORST crampy gas pains. I recently begged my PCP for something to help the pain, and she prescribed Zelnorm. The prescription says to take it 2x a day, however, I have been taking it only when I have flare-ups. Well, let me tell you, this drug is a life saver for me. Within 1 hour of taking it, all pain is gone. The same with the constipation. The only side effect is diareah (sp?) which I can live with. For the past 20 years, I have been suffering through this and have tried everything - charcoal pills, tums and all OTC gas pills, spearmint, hot drinks, stretching, heating pads, etc., and this drug is the only thing that ever worked.I was wondering if anyone else is on this drug and how it works for you. After reading some of the messages here about people suffering with pain, I felt compelled to share my success. I hope that this helps someone.Nancy

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Hi Nancy, Yes, quite a few of us are taking Zelnorm. You might want to check out the Zelnorm forum on this BB in which people share their experiences on the drug. I've found it to be a lifesaver, too. Not everyone has success with this drug, unfortunately, but for those who do, it's pretty incredible. It's literally given me my life back.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am also taking Zelnorm and it has been a neccesity for me. However, there are a few days that I do not experience a bm. And although Zelnorm has pretty much taken care of my bloating, I still experience some bloating accompanied with pain. I would rather deal with a little pain and bloating then to have it everyday like I used to have it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all:I just started taking the Zelnorm this morning. Thank God I was home. I was sitting at my computer when I had an accident. Didn't even know it was coming. How am I supposed to go to work like this. I have a 60 minute drive. Is this going to go away or will it always be like this? Please help!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I too have found zelnorm to be great for me. I am no longer bloated, still have a little gas but nothing I can't live with. I have been on it for a little over 2 weeks and still have diarreah, but that is much better than being constipated and it only happens after I take my 3mg dose and not when I am not expecting it. So I have nothing but good thing to say about zelnorm. I just hope it keeps working for me and I wish the doctors could let people use it on long term instead of only 3 months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I am new to this site, I have IBS with C and lots of Gas. My doctor wanted me to try Zelnorm, so I did. The first time I took 1, I was thankful I was at home because I was totally cleaned out and had D. So then I didn't take it again, afraid that I wouldn't be able to make it to the bathroom in time.I have been quite regular with BM (for about a year) but lately have been having major bread cravings (which make me very C.), so I thought I would try 1 Zelnorm tablet this morning to help with the C.I was able to have a BM but then had lots of G. I believe I have lots of Gas when my bowels are not empty, so I took another Zelnorm in the afternoon. I am still gassy but that's because I get super stressed when I am gassy so I binged on cookies which of course makes my gas symptoms worse.So to make a long story short, the explosive laxative effect was very short lived and I seem to tolerate the Zelnorm. I am going to visit their site and will keep you posted on how I am doing.I am having alot of problems with bulimia due to all the food restrictions I have put myself under because of the IBS. I am seeking lots of help to get this under control in order to give other treatments recommended here a proper chance.I am very grateful for this site and so glad that you are here...I was feeling extremely depressed and started to give up any type of hope. I now have a glimmer but am reluctant to get my expectations up on a miracle cure. I have gone up and down too many times just to get myself frustrated and I don't trust any claims for IBS help from all the various so called natural healers.I straed to believe that they just wanted to take advantage of my vulnerability and I have had my finances take a huge plunge trying all these so called remedies. Since reading about how there are so many of you out there with very similiar symptoms being treated with very different remedies, I now think those individuals were sincere in their efforts, it's just etremely hard to find your unique relief. I pray that I will find relief, if not physical then at least know that I am not going crazy...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have taken it as well i found for me it only worked if you take it twice a day , i was told its more of a contoler than a pian killer ? i am not to sure tho but it wroked for me for a while then i got the pains and stuff again so i dont know but if it worked for you thats good , my doctor said its suposed to be the best right now as well as buscopam

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have IBS C/D do you know whether zelnorm would be suitable considering that many of you have said that it caused a diarrhoea incident. Also are any of you from the UK? It's just that I have been to the doctor many times and he has never mentioned zelnorm, so I was wondering whether it isn't available in the UK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have IBS C/D, but the majority of the time it's C. I just started on it about a week ago, and since then I've only had one bout with D. But then again I've also starting taking omega-3 fish oil supplements, which might have been the cause.The majority of my problems have been with severe stomach cramping, so I've halfed the dosage and take 3 mg twice a day. I feel like a new person, I definitely recommend it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.