Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I just wonder if anyone's IBS disappeared as quickly as it first appeared? I'm not asking because it's happening to me (unfortunately).I just wonder if you know of anyone who now has no triggers, etc. and can eat anything and everything, just as they did pre-IBS.I'm just hoping that if I can get all the stress out of my life (ya, right) these symptoms might also go away. I used to love to eat exotic, spicy food. I used to try new restaurants all the time (Arabic, Italian, Chinese, Malaysian, Indian -- all the BAD stuff), but it looks like that stuff would really hurt me now.Just hopin'

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
All of my symptoms are gone thanks to the Ezekiel Bread, but I know that if I stopped eating it they would come back. I missed a day or two and that is exactly what happened. So I guess I can say that my symptoms are gone as long as I stick with the bread every single day...ugh.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Fiona:My IBS only bothers me occasionally now, maybe every 2 to 3 weeks I'll cramp a little. I never did have trigger foods with it and have always been able to eat normally. However, I find that things get uncomfortable if I eat larger meals, or meals high in fat.Eating a balanced diet, low in fat and high in fiber, and doing the hypnotherapy tapes has worked wonders for me.
JeanG

·
Registered
423 Posts
I go through times when life is great
and I can eat almost anything in small doses. Then the stress-bunny in me comes out
and I can barely look at my trigger foods. Stress is a huge trigger for me. If I could truly eliminate it from my life, I would have very mild to almost non-existant IBS.P.

G

·
I was in "remission" from 1980 til about 1988 or so. I have no clue why. In fact, I almost completely forgot about it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Since I have been sick with IBS-D (over a year), I have learned of three acquaintenances/friends from my hometown who also were diagnosed with IBS-D. All of them were young (ages 16, 25, 27) at its sudden onset. In all three the IBS-D just stopped completely - in two of them after a year or so and in the last person after three years. All have been normal for several years now and are taking no meds or supplements to control it.I believe that this happnes for most people at some point. My doc told me that 30% of people develop IBS after an infection - this is called "post-infectious IBS". She also said that these IBS patients usually have complete resolution of symptoms after 2 to 3 years. I sure hope this is true!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
In the past, my bouts of IBS just went away -- poof! -- after no more than 6 weeks. I should have permanently avoided coffee (I do now), but no, when I thought I was ok I started it up again.I believe that for people with full-fledeged IBS, they will always be quite prone to it. But some or many people can make some lifestyle changes that will eventually make IBS become manageable at least.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I did have a few years here and there when I was IBS-free. I have no idea why. I just would it would happen again.
------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
248 Posts
OK, this is long, so bear with it please, but it will help you and give you some hope! despite the fact that I was only diagnosed in Dec. of 1999, my doc said that the tummy trouble I had as a little kid was also due to IBS, but that it was not as well-known as it is now. When I was about 3 or 4 years old, my mom said that one time in particular, i went over to her, she picked me up, and held me by the dining room table while she was sitting down. she said i was literally doubled over in pain and crying a whole lot. the pediatrician told her to give me an enema but she said it didn't do anything about the pain. he then prescribed donnatal for me to take to "calm my stomach." Then, what i remember better, when i was 8 years old, i was diagnosed with food allergies to fish, nuts, eggs, chocolate and juices. i will never forget that day! i was in sooo much stomach pain, but when i eliminated those foods i got better. the doc again prescribed donnatal for me. it seemed to occur more in the months of june through august, with the highest intensity in june and early july.for years my symptoms disappeared. i was again able to eat chocolate, nuts, fish, every juice except for orange, and egga occasionally (like once every 2 months or so), and i did not get pain. then it hit again right after graduating h.s., i attribute that to the sudden change in life, a bad relationship i was in at the time, and again, the month of june.then throughout college i had my good months and bad months, but was generally symptom-free most of the time. then when i started my teaching career and grad school last year i was bad again. thats when i was diagnosed. the good news in the on-again-off-again thing? ok, when i was younger and would get attacks, i would be in pain literally for hours on end. now it only lasts 30 minutes to one hour, and it is so rare for me to suffer through an entire day or night with no relief. but i also try and take care of myself and listen to my body: more sleep, more fiber, less fried foods, almost no dairy, no eggs, no caffeine and no alcohol. i also meditate and swear by yoga to keep me calm. as a matter of fact, last night, i was having problems with gas pains because i am starting to adjust to the fiber, and i meditated for 20 minutes and kind of lost myself for a little while, and my pain was gone! sometimes its just mind over matter.------------------Thanks and feel good,Bonnie

G

·
HiMy ibs d first showed up when i was 15. It went away completely after a year, then it came back about around my 21st birthday. It's much better now with caltrate but i'm just having trouble letting my head get rid of the idea that if i go out or eat something i don't know is safe that i will get d, even though i haven't had it in months (knock on wood!!) Amanda

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also wanted to share my story even if this is an old thread. I started to have IBS-D at 30 after starting a stressful job (I then adjusted to the new job and it went away after 6 months). Another 6 months later, I got a higher position in the same company and the role was really stressful (including the work environment), which triggered again my IBS-D for another 2 years (had to run to the bathroom every morning and pain/cramps got worst over time. I also lost a bit of weight and felt less energetic). I started a new position in a different company (dream job) a few months ago and got my first house. Yes, the first months were stressful and I still had IBS-D, BUT… It finally went away over the last weeks!!! The main reasons as why it went away are: 1) Better stress management with work 2) Feeling secured in my new home (I had crazy neighbours before) 3) Going to acupuncture to treat my IBS-D.

Hope it helps! Be patient with yourself as there is a chance to get better over time for some people.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Fiona:My IBS only bothers me occasionally now, maybe every 2 to 3 weeks I'll cramp a little. I never did have trigger foods with it and have always been able to eat normally. However, I find that things get uncomfortable if I eat larger meals, or meals high in fat.Eating a balanced diet, low in fat and high in fiber, and doing the hypnotherapy tapes has worked wonders for me.
JeanG
Ugh see mine is the exact opposite. I have to eat high fat low fiber because the fiber is causing too much irritation andI swell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts