Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first time on this site. My boyfriend has confided in me that he has an undiagnosed bowel condition (which he is very embarrassed to discuss) I am aware that it is very painful for him to go to the toilet, constipated! He started bleeding when going to the toilet approximately 1 1/2 years ago, and he continued to ignore this, but now everytime he goes to the toilet he constantly bleeds, and I know he is in a lot of pain. He had a colonoscopy one month ago, and they found nothing, he has had tests for cancer, and thank god once again they found nothing. Last week he went into hospital and had a Botox injection in some muscle in his rectum, apparantly aimed to relax this muscle, but this has not happened, he continues to bleed and be in pain. The doctors have said he does not have haemorrids or a fissure. The doctors do not know what is wrong with him. My boyfriend is a very stressed person, that internalises stress, he works 60 to 70 hours a week on his feet,
and gets very tierd. I do not know if he has IBS or exactly what the symptoms are, would someone please let me know what IBS entails, can it be affected by a bad diet (which he has) would wine drinking affect it, Is it brought on with stress (as he is a stresshead). I would like to be able to present him with some information, so he could identify his symptoms, and take the information along to a doctor. My email address is annettekk###goconnect.net if anyone would kindly be able to give me some advice. I do realise that there are many bowel disorders, and I am not trying to be a home doctor, just trying to help him out with a little information.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi annettekk,Your boyfriend may have IBS, but if he is having bleeding I would say he should go back to his doctor. There may be more causing the bleeding than it being a symptom of IBS. (such as haemorrhoids)Read the information on this page too, it explains the most common symptoms of IBS, and is handy in assisting with a diagnosis. http://www.ibsgroup.org/main/diagnosis.html However embarrassing your boyfriend may find his condition all possibilities must be checked to exclude other causes before saying he has IBS.A poor diet, long working hours and consumption of alcohol can all contribute to IBS symptoms too. Also, stress, while it does not necessarily cause IBS is certainly a trigger for many and definately does not help.Even if your boyfriends final diagnosis is IBS, he is going to need to make some changes to his lifestyle and diet to reduce the symptoms and improve his general health.Best wishes for him, and I hope he will get a diagnosis and some treatment soon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds to me like crohns disease..... told me about 4 years i had IBS......And my friend just found out she has crohns..... She was getting blood in her stool.....and her ass would bleed.....also got really bad pains in her stomach....ask him if he has alot of heart burn or gas cause thats a sigh to......first if i was him i would go to the doctor get a upper GI done then ........ get a test done where they stick a light up your butt to check out your bowels i can't remember what this is called......o ya tell you Bf not to be embrassed i was at first too....but 1 out of 5 canadians has crohns or IBS. Just check out this site for more info http://www.crohnsresource.com/?ref=160. Hope evewrything works out for you and your Bf......and he finds out what it is......Take care!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.