Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anti-depressants have worked for anyone with ibs-d? I started to take zoloft but i got such bad d and it made me feel totally crazy. They said it would be like that for two weeks before the meds took affect but after 4 days of it i couldn't take it. Let me know pleaseAmanda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wanted to let you know that often depression is just the result of your b vitamins and/or hormones being out of wack. Fix those areas and your depression will lift. www.herbsbychoice.4the.net is my website address. You might find it interesting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am on Paxil for the panic attacks I get with D. It took 4-6 weeks to take effect (normal), with tolerable side effects. Are you taking the product for depression or panic attacks? If Zoloft doesn't work for you, try another one. Everybody's body is different.Good luck!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi Amanda. Some people just can't tolerate SSRIs and get diarrhea and nausea. This is because the SSRIs actually increase the presence of serotonin in the gut, which can aggravate cramping, and therefore give diarrhea. I had this problem, and am now taking Remeron instead (called mirtazapine/zispin in the UK) 30mg which helps with the IBS diarrhea, and doesn't make me nauseaous or give me extra diarrhea. Remeron is neither a tricyclic, an SSRI or a MAOI, it's a new class of antidepressant. (apparently without a name yet!!).It may be that you just need to let your body adjust to taking your drug. But if the D persists, it's worth asking your doctor about Remeron.take care,wanderingstar

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi Amanda -Wanderstar is correct when she says some people cannot tolerate the SSRIs. I am one of those people. I was given Paxil for anxiety and after losing a weekend to the side effects (anxiety worse than before, D like water, not being able to stay awake longer than an hour at a time, etc) I decided that this was not for me. I think the key phrase in Joaniemama's post is "tolerable" side effects. If you cannot function, then it is time to look for something else. I found the tricyclic family to work best for me. I was on impramine (Tofranil). It helps with depression and anxiety. But, best of all, it help with the D and cramping. Because I am currently trying to get pregnant, I cannot take impramine. The doctor has me on Welbutrin for depression and BuSpar for anxiety. I've been told that BuSpar is an older "formula" (for lack of better word) SSRI and less potent than the current ones. Welbutrin is slightly constipating and you can get D with BuSpar, so they balance each other.Whatever you decide to take, go with the lowest possible dosage and work up to the recommended dosage. You may not even have to go that far. I'm taking half the recommended dosage of both of the medications. Anything more causes intolerable side effects. Talk with your doctor, tell them what you are feeling and don't let them intimidate you. That was my mistake with the Paxil. My doctor said cut the dosage and give it time. I was so out of whack by day 4 that I finally said Enough! Yes, these meds take a while to work, but you should not have to suffer from side effects when there are other things available.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took desipramine 100 mg for IBS study and it completely eliminated IBS symptoms. But it seemsed to aggravate my sleep and I felt kinda irratable. I take 35 mg of Effexor and that drug helps my fatigue and depression immensely- even at this low dose. Do try lowest does- 1o mg of Prozac for 6 weeks with 3 days of not sleeping sent me into a "manic epsisode" 5 years ago. I had never had one and haven't since (I am 41) so I guess I am not bipolar but it was the prozac. Spend 4 days in pschiatric ward....... When I go off Effexor I get too tired( I also have mitral valve prolapse syndrome and have had for 10 years or so). Anybody know if its okay to take low doses of antidepressants while you might get pregnant. FLux??? My husband and I have been playing a little Russian rollette lately.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have been on Paxil (20mg) for 6 years but have only had IBS for 4! My Paxil was prescribed initially for depression and I have stayed with it for Anti-anxiety. I also take .5mg Xanax every night to help me sleep. My twin sister takes Prozac (and has for approximately 6 years) and she also has IBS, combination D and C - which is a recent phenomenon.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Amanda, I've been on 75mg of Effexor XR an SSRI for over one year. That has helped me greatly with my depression and IBS D. I also take at least 600mg of Caltrate Plus for the D. I know that some of the others who have posted mentioned that the SSRI's can cause D. I guess it depends on the individual person and perhaps the amount of doseage. Best to consult the doctor for further info. I hope us respondants didn't confuse you. Good luck!------------------Regards John

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I took Celexa, a newer SSRI, and had no side effects. It does not cause nearly the high incidence of side effects as other ones. Before that, I tried Prozac but had to stop because even 10 mg. made me VERY dizzy and "out of it" by the third day. I am currently waiting on liver test results before I can take any medication again.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
When I was on Elavil for depression it helped my D. It is my understanding that most tricyclic antidepressants (Elavil is one) helps with D. I'm told that Remeron which is in a class by itself helps with D and sleep and mood. As was mentioned there are some SSRI's that may help also. Remember everyone is different and can react differently to the same medication.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would have to second Wanderingstar's positive opinion of Remeron (Mirtazapine). It has almost completely abolished my IBS, with no side effects! Some researchers have referred to Remeron as a norandrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant (NaSSA) due to its effect on noradrenaline (norepinephrine here in the US) and serotonin at the 5-HT1 receptor. One recent published study, however, found that Remeron did not increase serotonin at any receptor site, but did increase the firing rate of neurons stimulated by dopamine, as well as noradrenaline. Remeron is a potent antagonist of alpha2A-adrenergic receptors and 5-HT2 and 5-HT3 receptors. Throw in dopaminergic activity, and one has an antidepressant/antianxiety drug which doesn't work anything like SSRIs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
In response to a couple of posts...Karena - There are some anti-depressants deemed "safe" to use during pregnancy, just as there are some antibiotics. Welbutrin is one. They are in the "B" category of the pregnancy categories. Which means "Animal studies have not demonstrated a risk to the fetus, but there are no adequate studies in pregnant women or animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate studies in pregnant women have not demonstrated a risk to the fetus during the first trimester of pregnancy, and there is no evidence of risk in later trimesters."What ever you decide to take, you should notify your doctor that you are trying to become pregnant. That way you can decide what is best for you. Whatever you decide on, most doctors will recommend that you stay off the med for the first trimester. (or as my doctor put it "you can coast along for three months, can't you?") After that, depending on need, you can start taking the med again.Matt, buddy
, most of the SSRIs will cause D (due to increased levels of seratonin in the system, I guess). But, they do have other, more "interesting" side effects. Talk with your doctor about what will work best for you.I want to second vikee's comment that "Remember everyone is different and can react differently to the same medication."Amanda - Have we helped you at all or just confuse you more?------------------M�dchen[This message has been edited by Madchen (edited 07-16-2000).]

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have been trying Remeron, a new antidepressant(AD) for about six weeks. I'm IBS-C and unfortunately this mediccation has a constipating side effect. That's bad for me, but I think it is helping some people with IBS-D. I've tried many AD's and Remeron seems to have one of the best side effect profiles ie. few side effects. best of luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
badfoot,Is Remeron one that you use for C when you say it doesn't have side effects???I am C as well and was wondering a good one for that.Matt

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I took only 1/4 of the smallest dose tablet of Remeron, and it really made me sleepy. It helped me sleep better and breathe easier at night with less nasal congestion. The Remeron had no effect on my colon (no D or C). It's like my doctor said, "Any medication can do anything at any time." Everyone responds differently to various medications.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey, i was just at the health food store and was reading about tyrosine. That is supposed to be big with helping depression. Has anyone tried that and has it helped.I was actually looking it up to be used for energy. Matt

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have been greatly helped by Serzone. It is not really a SSRI. Its in a class of it's own. But it has saved my life. I also take Imiprimine for another disorder. The combo of these two drugs seems to constipate me. I was already C to begin with. Anyway, I always though serzone would be a great drug for those with D. If you are looking to stop the d, it might help, but if you are looking to stop depression and anxiety, it WILL help. At least it has helped melala

1 - 18 of 18 Posts