Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Have been diagnosed with IBS by my gastroenterologist

835 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  NinaS 
#1 ·
I have been diagnosed with IBS and took Budesonide for 3 months and tapered off because diarrhea completely went away in fact swung to constipation. After being tapered off medication. I now several months later, during December, have returned to the severe diarrhea needing me to return to Budesonide intake.
Do I and can I continue this medication indefinitely????

#3 ·
I have been diagnosed with IBS and took Budesonide for 3 months and tapered off because diarrhea completely went away in fact swung to constipation. After being tapered off medication. I now several months later, during December, have returned to the severe diarrhea needing me to return to Budesonide intake.
Do I and can I continue this medication indefinitely????
Hi Marilyn,

If its IBS you have, I'm surprised they gave you a Chron's disease prescription of a steroid and no other advice or warnings. It seems that Budesonide also acts as an anti-inflammatory which is good, to help reduce the spasticness of the colon and lead to more normal bowel movements.
So, I guess if you don't want to continue taking that drug (don't know if you can take it indefinitely-- ask your doctor?) you can find other ways to reduce your inflammation to achieve a similar result.
Ask your doctor what they suggest and if you can continue taking the drug, what are the side effects?

I personally hate to be reliant on drugs.
Not just because they cost money or that my body can become dependent on them, but often, the overuse of a drug loses effectiveness in the body, either because the body adapts or other reasons. They also usually only treat part of a symptom not the underlying cause.

Ask your doctor what anti-inflammatory foods, routine could lead to similar results.

For me a chicken broth diet for a few weeks and fasting from inflammatory foods (sugars, starches, and things you have trouble digesting--[in my case- milk, wheat, soy, corn, garlic, onion, fructans, etc]) really helped with the inflammation to some degree. The other thing that helped was regular exercise which caused regular bowel movements, removing the bad things more regularly. Exercise also helped with my mood and reduced anxiety which is known to be linked with a spastic colon (which causes diarrhea and gas).

I have several posts where I describe how I recovered from my IBS-d and leaky gas. You can search them.
I just don't know how serious your case is, my case was very serious and life changing, so my recovery method was intenstive (restricted diet, probiotics, etc).
Maybe your IBS-d is just a light situation, I'm sure the treatment plan can overlap, but maybe your diet doesn't have to be as restrictive as mine.

Here's one of my posts on treatment plan for IBS-d.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.