Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After fifteen years of being in hell, watching thediet, can't go out in public cause of the smell,etc., I have found ginger root capsules, grocerystore, generic, in the herbal section. I tookone pill and ate a pizza. NO GAS. Then hot tea,cokes and MILK, and ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!!!!No gas.I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Gosh I will have to try that too. How long did it take for the ginger root to kick in?Glad you are feeling better. I know what its like to have the G problem. Sure makes life difficult at times. Can't always go out in public.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Gosh I will have to try that too. How long did it take for the ginger root to kick in?Glad you are feeling better. I know what its like to have the G problem. Sure makes life difficult at times. Can't always go out in public.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Interesting topic. Ginger root is some funny stuff as for many years it was pursued as an antiemetic, antimotion sickness, anti this and anti that based upon "thousands of years of experience in ancient chinese medicine".Now the trouble is that none of those claims held up when ginger root was tested under controlled conditions in actual humans with actual symptoms. And there is no "apparent" basis for it to be effective with any of the various IBS symptom sets vis a vis the mechanisms which produce symptoms.However, there are (2) interesting ways and means that can account for gingers reputation as some of the underlying mechanisms of IBS become more well understood...and the fact that the syndrome has multiple underlying etiologic patterns which can be and are being slowly isolated.One thing that is interesting is that ginger root by itself seems to have no effect on the distal colon but when combined with (2) specific other extracts in a Chinese concoction called Dai Kenchu, the (3) together did seem to cause significant inhibition of one of the mechanisms which can induce contraction of the distal colon....so far tested only in rats...hey, I know a few rats with IBS [I think however they deserve it so I won't tell if you don't
]Now another interesting thing is that it may be effective in patients who experience a partial loss of oral tolerance after an event which may have resulted in persistentr dysbiosis...which may or may not account for ADMFLO's experience so far...??A bacteriocin-producing bacterial strain has been isolated from ginger root....lactococcus lactis...as well as another one from garlic root (a different bacteria). So they named the bacteriocin from Ginger's bacteria GI3.Lactocin GI3 was found to have a relatively broad spectrum of inhibition of the activity of many other bacteria including enterococci, clostridium, even Listeria (which has been a source of food borne infection in the news a few times in the past few years....like bologna carries it sometimes as I recall or hot dogs).It remained active over a wide temperature and pH range totally consistent with the gastric ranges...BUT was somewhat inhibited by proteolytic enzymes. So maybe it would work better if not taken with any protein-containing meals (?)...Anyway I do not know if any other studies were done to link these finidings to therapeutics yet, but certainly in the context of lost oral tolerance and IBS from dysbiosis, this could be something that will be shown helpful if added to the mix of possible remedies for dysbiosis along with probiotics. Anyway if it feels good, do it!!
Eat well. Think well. Be wellMNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Interesting topic. Ginger root is some funny stuff as for many years it was pursued as an antiemetic, antimotion sickness, anti this and anti that based upon "thousands of years of experience in ancient chinese medicine".Now the trouble is that none of those claims held up when ginger root was tested under controlled conditions in actual humans with actual symptoms. And there is no "apparent" basis for it to be effective with any of the various IBS symptom sets vis a vis the mechanisms which produce symptoms.However, there are (2) interesting ways and means that can account for gingers reputation as some of the underlying mechanisms of IBS become more well understood...and the fact that the syndrome has multiple underlying etiologic patterns which can be and are being slowly isolated.One thing that is interesting is that ginger root by itself seems to have no effect on the distal colon but when combined with (2) specific other extracts in a Chinese concoction called Dai Kenchu, the (3) together did seem to cause significant inhibition of one of the mechanisms which can induce contraction of the distal colon....so far tested only in rats...hey, I know a few rats with IBS [I think however they deserve it so I won't tell if you don't
]Now another interesting thing is that it may be effective in patients who experience a partial loss of oral tolerance after an event which may have resulted in persistentr dysbiosis...which may or may not account for ADMFLO's experience so far...??A bacteriocin-producing bacterial strain has been isolated from ginger root....lactococcus lactis...as well as another one from garlic root (a different bacteria). So they named the bacteriocin from Ginger's bacteria GI3.Lactocin GI3 was found to have a relatively broad spectrum of inhibition of the activity of many other bacteria including enterococci, clostridium, even Listeria (which has been a source of food borne infection in the news a few times in the past few years....like bologna carries it sometimes as I recall or hot dogs).It remained active over a wide temperature and pH range totally consistent with the gastric ranges...BUT was somewhat inhibited by proteolytic enzymes. So maybe it would work better if not taken with any protein-containing meals (?)...Anyway I do not know if any other studies were done to link these finidings to therapeutics yet, but certainly in the context of lost oral tolerance and IBS from dysbiosis, this could be something that will be shown helpful if added to the mix of possible remedies for dysbiosis along with probiotics. Anyway if it feels good, do it!!
Eat well. Think well. Be wellMNL

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:However, there are (2) interesting ways and means that can account for gingers reputation as some
A third way is that they are not related.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:However, there are (2) interesting ways and means that can account for gingers reputation as some
A third way is that they are not related.

·
Registered
442 Posts
From Mike
quote:A bacteriocin-producing bacterial strain has been isolated from ginger root....lactococcus lactis... as well as another one from garlic root (a different bacteria). So they named the bacteriocin from Ginger's bacteria GI3.
Very interesting.I took garlic pills (3 with each meal!) 3 years ago and ..... NO MORE IBS symtoms! i was feeling great! No pain, just a bit C. This last for 2 months...then the pain returned back but no more D (i was a bit on the D side).I'll try to find those Ginger root pills.

·
Registered
442 Posts
From Mike
quote:A bacteriocin-producing bacterial strain has been isolated from ginger root....lactococcus lactis... as well as another one from garlic root (a different bacteria). So they named the bacteriocin from Ginger's bacteria GI3.
Very interesting.I took garlic pills (3 with each meal!) 3 years ago and ..... NO MORE IBS symtoms! i was feeling great! No pain, just a bit C. This last for 2 months...then the pain returned back but no more D (i was a bit on the D side).I'll try to find those Ginger root pills.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I tied those years ago. No effect. I also noticed that buying the ground powder in the spice section is much cheaper than the gelatin pills.I used to make a tea out of it. see if that works for you?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I tied those years ago. No effect. I also noticed that buying the ground powder in the spice section is much cheaper than the gelatin pills.I used to make a tea out of it. see if that works for you?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.