Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am Mexican so please forgive me if my English is not very good.I have been suffering of IBS since I was 15 (I am 30 now)and I don't remember many days without pain and constipation. Last year I had a womb surgery and the doctor did not notice anything wrong with the intestines. Since 2 months ago I am taking Dicetel and Metamucil everyday and I am feeling great, I really do. But I am worried of the side effects of both (Metamucil: I take 1 teaspoon at night) and Dicetel (1 pill per day). I am always worried of having something terrible (such as colon cancer) even though I never bleed nor have diarrhea.I feel great that I found you guys and would appreciate if you know any side effects of the mentioned prescriptions... I am afraid to stop using both! and my husband says I am becoming an addict.......Thanks!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Welcome Karla, I don't know about your speaking, but your English seems just fine to me. I am sorry I am not familiar with Dicetel. Does it have another name? What are you taking it for? Is it a prescription or over the counter? You don't have to worry about the Metamucil. It is basically natural and only fiber to bulk up your stool so it will pass through your system easier. If you are worried about it, just eat whole grains and no white flour. I use finely ground flaxmeal (I think it works better anyway, and costs less, and no additives). Just use the same amount and sprinkle and mix it in any soft food. It has a nice nutty flavor but too gritty to eat by itself. Then drink lots of water, filtered if possible, right after and throughout the day. I usually follow my fiber with hot herbal tea. Otherwise you could use Flaxseed Oil mixed in cooked whole grain cereals, or in your salad dressing. You should still concentrate on increasing the fiber in your diet if you only use the oil though. Good luck Karla.[This message has been edited by moldie (edited 12-08-1999).]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Moldie for your answer!Dicetel is a drug which contains pinaverium bromide (the Doctor has to prescribe it) and it is used a lot in Mexico for IBS, I started to take 3 pills a day and now I take only one at noon. It seems to work pretty fine!

G

·
YES, HAD IT SINCE I WAS A JUNIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL AND AM 33 NOW. ITS ALL I HAVE EVER KNOWN. THE PAXIL I AM ON STILL IS HELPING MINE (KNOCK ON WOOD). I STILL HAVE ONE OR TWO SPELLS A WEEK BUT THAT IS A LOT BETTER THAN EVERY OTHER DAY. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sounds far from addicted to me! If it's working for you stick with it! So many people wish they could find something that works consistantly for them! Metamucil is not addictive. It's just fiber to bulk things up. I'm not familiar with the other thing but one a day of anything is not addicted! And if you have IBS you have it..it doesn't go away so you HAVE to have something all the time..it's the nature of the illness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.