Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 32 year old female and started having IBS-D symptoms around 16. As I've gotten older they just kept getting worse. To the point where I hardly ever wanted to go out and do anything because I was afraid of having an attack. I've tried quite a few of the meds for IBS as well as the anti-depressents they prescribe and nothing worked for me. Maybe relieved the symptoms a little but no big change. At one time I tried Citricel but it just made me feel worse. A friend of mine had told me that fiber really helped her and I was going to give it another try but most of the fiber pills they make are huge and too hard for me to swallow and I had drinking those ones that you mix with water. Then Metamucil just came out with this new capsule that is a decent size and I started taking one of them a day. I can't believe how much difference the fiber has made in my life. I am also taking effexor for anxiety so maybe it's a combination of the two but I can't remember the last time I have felt this good. I've actually been able to go out to eat and not have to immediately run to the bathroom. I can't even remember the last time I've had so many solid bm's. And I only have a bm once a day or every other day. I also found this drink that is a great source of fiber also. It is called Go Lean and is really meant to be used as one of those liquid diet supplements but I drink one a day for the fiber in it. It has 7 grams of fiber and has no lactate. It tastes like the Slim Fasts shakes but I can't drink them cause the milk upsets my stomach and then only have 3 grams of fiber. For all those who have never tried using fiber, I highly suggest giving it a try. I feel like my life has totally changed and I can actually go out and enjoy life now. Of course by saying that I've probably jinxed myself and will have an attack tommorow. LOL For the longest time I didn't think fiber would help me and I'm glad I gave it a second try. Hope this advice can help some of you. Just to also add the last med I had tried was Zelnorm. I do have type D but my doc prescribed it for me because my main problem was the pain and cramping not so much the D itself. I would take one before every meal. The first week I had a lot of D but after that I did notice that it was really helping. I hardly had any cramping and was able to have pretty much just one bm and I was fine. It definatley helped with the pain. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm so glad you finally found a combo that works for you, maybe there's hope for us all too if we keep trying different combinations of things. I usually find that the fiber binds me up but maybe I need to try a differernt one. I found that the Zelnorm works well but is very expensive because it's so new. I too can't eat out because of Lactose intolerence along with the IBS D and C. It's unreal how much dairy is in all prepared products. I just can't eat anything, forget about eating out unless I take a lax. that night. I think I'll try your combo and see if it helps me, Ty for the info.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm the poster child for Citrucel mix. It has really helped me, and I recommend it to anyone who is suffering from IBS symptoms. I take about 2/3 of the recommended maximum per day, a half scoop with water before at least 3 meals per day. I know it sounds weird that a laxative could help control the "D", but it does work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.