Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had IBS since I was 19, now 34. I had a son in 2002 and did not have any IBS symptoms until last week. I've always known my IBS was hormonal, but was happy thinking that it had gone away. However, I just got my first period last week and guess what? The IBS is back!! What am I supposed to do? Traditionally, I have not taken anything for the symptoms except tylenol, etc.. I've always had a great diet...stopped dairy (until i got pregnant). But I don't want to take any drugs. Is it terrible to think that a hysterectomy is my only way out??

G

·
It is fairly normal for woman to have GI symptoms during their period, IBS or not.Um..what symptoms are you having??Without that it is hard to guess what might help (Calcium is good for diarrhea, bad for constipation, etc.)Also people without IBS occasionally get GI distress, so one episode after 3 years may not be the "return of the IBS" might be a GI infection or any of the other things that cause normal people to have GI distress after 3 years of no symptoms.K.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding! I can tell that it's IBS. The pain is the same as it's always been. Unfortunately, my IBS comes w/constipation. However, things have been running smoothly for the past 3 years if you know what I mean. I can just tell after having IBS all these years. If I'm lying down and then get up too fast, spasms occur. After riding my bike, etc.. It's just all too familiar. I'd probably be less likely to think IBS if the pain wasn't the same.

G

·
It was hard to tell from what you said earlier what exactly the "return" was.Go to the doctor to get evaluated to make sure it is the IBS. Both a GI and a OB-GYN check up. Some Gyn. problems can show up in GI symptoms. I don't know if you take medications for anything else, but have them evaluated for constipating effects. Do you take Calcium supplements? Those can be constipating, balancing those properly with Magnesium helps (2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium)Since you said no drugs (although Zelnorm is out now and that might be appropriate for you)See what altering fiber and water does. (most constipation adding fiber helps, but if upping fiber really makes things worse, get your transit evalutated)Try adding magnesium supplements to your diet (400 mgs is the RDA and 1000 mgs is the max daily amount) Magnesium is an osmotic laxative (what is in Milk of Magnesia)Try peppermint tea for the pain (or tablets...Altoids have enough peppermint oil to be effective for some) This can increase heartburn so watch out for that.You might want to check out www.ibsaudioprogram.com and the CBT/Hypno part of the board. Using the mind to regulate the bowels works for some people and is drug free.I'd just try other things before jumping to hysterectomy.K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.