Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had IBS just comming up to a year now. Does it get any better? My eating habbits have changed enormously I now live on boiled chicken boiled carrots boiled potatoes and rice. I can sometimes have a piece of bread but the dieticians and things which Ive seen havent been much help. Lots of you keep talking about certain drugs and things which you take to help ease the symptoms. It seems as though my Doc has just left me to get on with it by myself. The prob I have at the moment is maintaining my weight. Ive lost over four stone and Im trying really hard to keep a constant weight but its very difficult. Any foods Im introducing my body doesnt like, Ive tried perserviering with them but it ends up making me loose more weight cos I get so sick. Can anyone give me any advice or anything, Id be so greatful. xxx

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is hard to say if it will get better for you or not.Generally people do over time find things that help to control it (some don't) and IBS generally waxes and wanes even when it doesn't go away, so it may get better from time to time. Some people do go into spontaneous remission. The rate is about 5% per year.You may want to see if any of the supplements used for nutritional support for elderly or sick people will help. Ensure is a widely available brand. It is well tolerated by most people (some can't tolerate it) and is a reasonably convienient way to add some calories and nutrients into the body.If you can tolerate some olive oil, adding a bit of that to the veggies or potatoes is another way to add a few calories and make sure you get some essential fatty acids in a fat that is generally healthy for the heart.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is hard to say if it will get better for you or not.Generally people do over time find things that help to control it (some don't) and IBS generally waxes and wanes even when it doesn't go away, so it may get better from time to time. Some people do go into spontaneous remission. The rate is about 5% per year.You may want to see if any of the supplements used for nutritional support for elderly or sick people will help. Ensure is a widely available brand. It is well tolerated by most people (some can't tolerate it) and is a reasonably convienient way to add some calories and nutrients into the body.If you can tolerate some olive oil, adding a bit of that to the veggies or potatoes is another way to add a few calories and make sure you get some essential fatty acids in a fat that is generally healthy for the heart.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cant eat any oils at all. Ive also tried supplements and vitamins and things but the just go straight through me!!! I recently went to the optician as i wear contact lenses. She said because Im not getting any fat in my diet the tears and oils in my eyes are drying up and making it difficult to wear the contact lenses. Ive had a colonoscopy but they couldnt find anything wrong. I cant face an endoscopy unless they totally put me to sleep and not just use sedation as I felt everything during the colonoscopy and he gave me enough sedation to knock an elephant out.!!! The doc has tried to give me anti depressants but I really dont want to use them, Im due to see a councellor soon so maybe that will help who knows. Till then Ill try to keep smiling. Thanks everyone.xx

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant eat any oils at all. Ive also tried supplements and vitamins and things but the just go straight through me!!! I recently went to the optician as i wear contact lenses. She said because Im not getting any fat in my diet the tears and oils in my eyes are drying up and making it difficult to wear the contact lenses. Ive had a colonoscopy but they couldnt find anything wrong. I cant face an endoscopy unless they totally put me to sleep and not just use sedation as I felt everything during the colonoscopy and he gave me enough sedation to knock an elephant out.!!! The doc has tried to give me anti depressants but I really dont want to use them, Im due to see a councellor soon so maybe that will help who knows. Till then Ill try to keep smiling. Thanks everyone.xx

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If fats really bother you see if you can get the doctor to give you a trial of Questran.When you eat fats, bile is released and if your out of balance and too much bile gets into the colon rather than being used or recycled that can cause diarrhea.Some people here have had good luck with using Questran to control diarrhea. It is a bile-binding agent that is used for controlling cholesterol. Soluble fiber also binds up bile and might be useful. Psyllium is most commonly used for that.Calcium carbonate supplements may help.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If fats really bother you see if you can get the doctor to give you a trial of Questran.When you eat fats, bile is released and if your out of balance and too much bile gets into the colon rather than being used or recycled that can cause diarrhea.Some people here have had good luck with using Questran to control diarrhea. It is a bile-binding agent that is used for controlling cholesterol. Soluble fiber also binds up bile and might be useful. Psyllium is most commonly used for that.Calcium carbonate supplements may help.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Go for the endoscopy. They can put you right out and you shouldn't wake up at all. I woke up during the colonoscopy but not during the endoscopy; there aren't any real bends in the up there like in the colon so it should not hurt even if you do wake up. You should also get the Upper GI Series(small bowel xray) done to look into the small intestine. If you have diarrhea then lomotil might help, it is stronger than immodium.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Go for the endoscopy. They can put you right out and you shouldn't wake up at all. I woke up during the colonoscopy but not during the endoscopy; there aren't any real bends in the up there like in the colon so it should not hurt even if you do wake up. You should also get the Upper GI Series(small bowel xray) done to look into the small intestine. If you have diarrhea then lomotil might help, it is stronger than immodium.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Please get to a new doctor. Anyone that has lost more than 40lbs needs to be under a doctor's care. If I were you having such terrible luck, I would listen to the doctor and take the suggested medicines to gain some control of my life and then try to work in more natural remedies. The way I understand it, weight loss is a real concern.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Please get to a new doctor. Anyone that has lost more than 40lbs needs to be under a doctor's care. If I were you having such terrible luck, I would listen to the doctor and take the suggested medicines to gain some control of my life and then try to work in more natural remedies. The way I understand it, weight loss is a real concern.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
HEPPERS: _____________________________________"...the dieticians and things which Ive seen havent been much help." _____________________________________this is not their fault as they get no training in school on the subject at hand, and most do not work closely with doctors who work with closely and constantly in this area so they do not pick up the training and skills. Only those who do a lot of self-study or are lucky enough to work closely with an immunologist/allergist with a keen understanding of the possibilities.I recommend you acqauire this book immediately, as it will walk you through ways of how to come to a determinatuion of where your probelm may or may not be coming from and what to do about it. It is the most comprehensive text available at this time on the matters related to your diet and bowel function and how to tell the difference between if your belly (or any other body system) is sick from an organic disease or sick from an allergic, immunologic, enzymatic, infective or other-worldly cause:�FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT�, Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings� College, London) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 It CAN and WILL get better for you, but it takes a committment to working with a team dedicated to rooting out the cause. And it can be done with the methods that have been evolving over the last several years as a result of decades of work all over the world.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL________________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
HEPPERS: _____________________________________"...the dieticians and things which Ive seen havent been much help." _____________________________________this is not their fault as they get no training in school on the subject at hand, and most do not work closely with doctors who work with closely and constantly in this area so they do not pick up the training and skills. Only those who do a lot of self-study or are lucky enough to work closely with an immunologist/allergist with a keen understanding of the possibilities.I recommend you acqauire this book immediately, as it will walk you through ways of how to come to a determinatuion of where your probelm may or may not be coming from and what to do about it. It is the most comprehensive text available at this time on the matters related to your diet and bowel function and how to tell the difference between if your belly (or any other body system) is sick from an organic disease or sick from an allergic, immunologic, enzymatic, infective or other-worldly cause:�FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT�, Professor Jonathan Brostoff (M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings� College, London) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 It CAN and WILL get better for you, but it takes a committment to working with a team dedicated to rooting out the cause. And it can be done with the methods that have been evolving over the last several years as a result of decades of work all over the world.Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL________________ www.leapallergy.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.