Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My IBS has been nothing but D. But now Ive been having C for the past week. What do I do? I am afraid to take a laxative, then the D would start all over again. And to add to my annoying complaints, I have a bad yeast infection.(No doc over the weekend to get med) And I can't take over the counter creams/meds because I have an awful reaction to it. Any suggestions?Donna

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
143 Angel So sorry you are feeling so punky. This D/C stuff can get tricky can't it? Lots of us have a cycle like this, from D to C and back again.
If I were you I'd try to up my fiber & water intake slowly, a bit more each day. Also try using just a stool softener (should be over the counter) without a laxative, just a plain stool softener. Might take a day or two with the stool softener but I never had any cramping or violent D from taking them. I found them very gentle.As far as the yeast goes...sorry...been there too. But I guess you'll have to wait on the Doc for that one. Hope you feel better soon. BQ

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
143 Angel So sorry you are feeling so punky. This D/C stuff can get tricky can't it? Lots of us have a cycle like this, from D to C and back again.
If I were you I'd try to up my fiber & water intake slowly, a bit more each day. Also try using just a stool softener (should be over the counter) without a laxative, just a plain stool softener. Might take a day or two with the stool softener but I never had any cramping or violent D from taking them. I found them very gentle.As far as the yeast goes...sorry...been there too. But I guess you'll have to wait on the Doc for that one. Hope you feel better soon. BQ

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
______________________________Any suggestions? ______________________________Yep. First see your doctor and get the eyast infection treated, if it is severe she may want to use appropriate pharmacotherapy of choice.Also discuss whether your gut should be checked to see how heavy the growth is via stool sample.(2) times in (5) years I had an exacerbation of my IBS symptoms with no apparent change if diet or anything else that was traced to intestinal candidiasis. Did not take a long enough and heavy enough course of Nystatin the first time and it reoccurred. So it took more the second time.No reoccurrence since. Worth discussing with the doctor whenever there is an event, followed by a change in your symptoms.Good luck
MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
______________________________Any suggestions? ______________________________Yep. First see your doctor and get the eyast infection treated, if it is severe she may want to use appropriate pharmacotherapy of choice.Also discuss whether your gut should be checked to see how heavy the growth is via stool sample.(2) times in (5) years I had an exacerbation of my IBS symptoms with no apparent change if diet or anything else that was traced to intestinal candidiasis. Did not take a long enough and heavy enough course of Nystatin the first time and it reoccurred. So it took more the second time.No reoccurrence since. Worth discussing with the doctor whenever there is an event, followed by a change in your symptoms.Good luck
MNL

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks for responding.I still have C. Tried the metamusal powder stuff, nothing happened yet. I am having pain between the rear end and the vaginal area when I sit down now. Very uncomfortable, feels like I am getting presure from the inside, don't know if its because of the C or my uterous. I go to my GYN Doc Wednesday to discuss Hyst. surgery which he sugested for other problems and said that it may help the IBS. My second opinion Doc agrees with this and said that I may have endometrios too, which have some of the same symptoms. I'm only 35 years old and this scares me. But I have now accepted having to get this operation. Probably have it within the next 2 weeks. I really hope it helps me. Tired of being sick.Donna

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks folks for responding.I still have C. Tried the metamusal powder stuff, nothing happened yet. I am having pain between the rear end and the vaginal area when I sit down now. Very uncomfortable, feels like I am getting presure from the inside, don't know if its because of the C or my uterous. I go to my GYN Doc Wednesday to discuss Hyst. surgery which he sugested for other problems and said that it may help the IBS. My second opinion Doc agrees with this and said that I may have endometrios too, which have some of the same symptoms. I'm only 35 years old and this scares me. But I have now accepted having to get this operation. Probably have it within the next 2 weeks. I really hope it helps me. Tired of being sick.Donna

G

·
143Angel, This is my first response. I feel compelled to respond to you due to our similar circumstances. I also have complications with anal-area pain and pressure plus possible endometriosis and a smattering of other things ON TOP OF IBS. I too am completely frustrated. My best days/weeks are when I stick to a completely Vegan diet. This seems to moderate my fluctuations between c & d. It's very hard to do but when I cheat, I pay heavily with hours of torture. Much of the pain and pressure in the lower regions can be relieved with Ibuprofen- and it's the only pain killer that works for me. I am also considering (seriously) a hysterectomy. I hope things work out for you (and me). Sheryl.

G

·
143Angel, This is my first response. I feel compelled to respond to you due to our similar circumstances. I also have complications with anal-area pain and pressure plus possible endometriosis and a smattering of other things ON TOP OF IBS. I too am completely frustrated. My best days/weeks are when I stick to a completely Vegan diet. This seems to moderate my fluctuations between c & d. It's very hard to do but when I cheat, I pay heavily with hours of torture. Much of the pain and pressure in the lower regions can be relieved with Ibuprofen- and it's the only pain killer that works for me. I am also considering (seriously) a hysterectomy. I hope things work out for you (and me). Sheryl.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Not trying to butt in, start a controversy, or take any issue with what any doctor may have said. But unecesaary hysterectomies have been performed because of IBS pain and the comorbidity of IBS pain and dysmennorrhea...and it is also not a bad idea at all to pursue that possibility of endometriosis before consenting to any surgery. It has been a matter of disappointment for some women to have a hysterectomy and find the pain remains afterward. Prostaglandins are one of the common links between the two conditions and one wonders if any experimentation with protocols such as trying to isolate anything in the diet which may be provoking symptoms has been discussed, in light of recent discoveries concerning the abnormal reactions of immunocytes seen in the small bowel and the consequences of those reactions, and even if experimentation with things that are known to interfere with the action or formation of prostaglandins has been tried. One of the earliest cross-links was the findings of elevated levels (for example) of prostalandin E2 in the feces of a large percentage of IBS patients, and PGE2 is one of the PG's found to be elevated in the uterine fluid of women suffering dysmenorrhea. Meds like Ibuprofen help with this pain somehwat as they do interfere in a certain way with this mechanism, as do oral contraceptives (see Krissy's thread today about her Pain That Goes Mobile).This is a tough problem for many women and I do know and understand the desperation which can lead to considering surgery. There may be another means, though, before resorting to that...and indeed endo should be investigated as well...all 3 can be codependent.OK, MAN, butt out now.
Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Not trying to butt in, start a controversy, or take any issue with what any doctor may have said. But unecesaary hysterectomies have been performed because of IBS pain and the comorbidity of IBS pain and dysmennorrhea...and it is also not a bad idea at all to pursue that possibility of endometriosis before consenting to any surgery. It has been a matter of disappointment for some women to have a hysterectomy and find the pain remains afterward. Prostaglandins are one of the common links between the two conditions and one wonders if any experimentation with protocols such as trying to isolate anything in the diet which may be provoking symptoms has been discussed, in light of recent discoveries concerning the abnormal reactions of immunocytes seen in the small bowel and the consequences of those reactions, and even if experimentation with things that are known to interfere with the action or formation of prostaglandins has been tried. One of the earliest cross-links was the findings of elevated levels (for example) of prostalandin E2 in the feces of a large percentage of IBS patients, and PGE2 is one of the PG's found to be elevated in the uterine fluid of women suffering dysmenorrhea. Meds like Ibuprofen help with this pain somehwat as they do interfere in a certain way with this mechanism, as do oral contraceptives (see Krissy's thread today about her Pain That Goes Mobile).This is a tough problem for many women and I do know and understand the desperation which can lead to considering surgery. There may be another means, though, before resorting to that...and indeed endo should be investigated as well...all 3 can be codependent.OK, MAN, butt out now.
Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL

G

·
Mike, thanks for the info. I like to feel informed. My doctor didn't suggest a hyst., I asked for it- tired of the horrid menstrual pain. I don't actually know if there is a connection for me between the two and I am trying "the pill" first. This is ONLY to rule in/out endometriosis as I cannot have children anyway. So far, I've had one horrific and two mild ibs attacks on the pill. I'm wondering if there are connections there too. I don't want to continue if the problems could increase. Again, thanks for your input- anything else?

G

·
Mike, thanks for the info. I like to feel informed. My doctor didn't suggest a hyst., I asked for it- tired of the horrid menstrual pain. I don't actually know if there is a connection for me between the two and I am trying "the pill" first. This is ONLY to rule in/out endometriosis as I cannot have children anyway. So far, I've had one horrific and two mild ibs attacks on the pill. I'm wondering if there are connections there too. I don't want to continue if the problems could increase. Again, thanks for your input- anything else?

·
Registered
86 Posts
143 Angel,My IBS-D problems all started after my hysterectomy 15 years ago. Had on-going problems since then. No doctor will admit the surgery could have caused it but ...Good Luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
143 Angel,My IBS-D problems all started after my hysterectomy 15 years ago. Had on-going problems since then. No doctor will admit the surgery could have caused it but ...Good Luck!

G

·
Misty B, strange you would mention that ... my problems all started after I had tubal pregnancies and had surgery to remove my tubes. I always wondered if something could have jostled or mis-aligned or SOMETHING? I wonder how many others are out there with that very same question. I've also had lower back pain- very low ever since then. A connection?

G

·
Misty B, strange you would mention that ... my problems all started after I had tubal pregnancies and had surgery to remove my tubes. I always wondered if something could have jostled or mis-aligned or SOMETHING? I wonder how many others are out there with that very same question. I've also had lower back pain- very low ever since then. A connection?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bauden - My ibs symptoms started very shortly after my hysterectomy and have never left. I've asked the gyn who performed the surgery, my GI doc & internist and they all kind of chuckle and say they don't know. Yeah, right! I had to have the surgery because of a large grapefruit sized cyst on my ovary. Uterus was also messed up, I was done having kids, etc. so he did a complete on me. I've always thought that started it. Ive had all tests done and most of them more than once. All always come back "just ibs".Would be interesting to see how many others out there have similar problems.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bauden - My ibs symptoms started very shortly after my hysterectomy and have never left. I've asked the gyn who performed the surgery, my GI doc & internist and they all kind of chuckle and say they don't know. Yeah, right! I had to have the surgery because of a large grapefruit sized cyst on my ovary. Uterus was also messed up, I was done having kids, etc. so he did a complete on me. I've always thought that started it. Ive had all tests done and most of them more than once. All always come back "just ibs".Would be interesting to see how many others out there have similar problems.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
How about trying acidopholous (sp?) for the yeast infection. I recently went through several courses of antibiotics and used acidopholous to keep the yeast infection at bay with pretty good results. I think I had a mild one towards the end of the last course but I kept up with the acidopholous and had luck. Unfortunately, the antibiotics through off my digestive track also and I'm just starting to get it back in balance.I'm one of those people who alternates between C &D. I find the key is to find the right balance between calcium, fiber and magnesium. I'm in a C period since I overdid treating D last week while traveling (through a lot of immodium at it). So I'm hitting the fiber.nancy

1 - 20 of 21 Posts