Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!I've noticed that a few people on the board who have IBS also suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. Well, that's me. The anxiety I can handle, but I had major panic attacks a couple of years ago. It was horrible. I felt like I was losing my mind. Doc had me on Xanax for that. That helped. I have finally learned how to handle these attacks and anxiety while NOT on medication, which I like. But having anxiety in the first place makes me feel a total hypochondriac. I mean, every little ailment and I'm conviced it's something terrible....cancer, or whatever. Of course, every time it turns out be nothing major at all. I absolutely hate being like that, but...I am who I am
Before I was diagnosed with IBS, I was convinced I had colon cancer or something. Is IBS and anxiety combination a common thing? If so, is it the anxiety that causes the IBS or is it the IBS that causes the anxiety? Or maybe this is the "chicken and the egg" universal question?

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Yes anxiety and IS go hand in hand and it is probably aa chicken and egg problem although in y case I had done a psychological test before my IBS and I scored very low on anxiety. With IBS it became high. But I am not a typical IBS'er. But scientists have no way to make the comparison as they can't tell before hand who is going to develop IBS to do before and after anxiety profiles. There are probably some mice studies around but I am not uptodate on it. eric might be.But what they have discovered that there is serotonin dysregulation between the gut and brain. Serotonin is the "feel good"neurotransmitter in the brain and is also found in the gut.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
yep well anxiety is something i can really relate too, peeps who know me but dont know me too well (i mean the local shopkeeper) who between you and me looks like count dracula, or my dentist would be surprised if they knew i got real depressed, its a true saying inside every sane person theres a nutcase trying to get out, or in my case i came out about 40 years ago..Sure we all get stressed out at one time or another, god i bet queen liz herself gets utterly pissed off. You have to grin & bear life, take what it throws at you, and somehow dust yourself down and start all over again.with the incidents that have happened in my life god jerry springer would say thanks but erm no thanks!My doctor said to me a few years back im amazed you are still here, he had a point, but whats the point throwing in the towel.. My epitah on my tomb stone will read here lies a complete nutjob, who favourite saying was "dont let the b******* grind you down"its true.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I definetly think there is a strong connection. My IBS is at it's worst when I am feeling anxious or nervous. And it's a vicious cycle because the anxiety triggers the IBS, and the IBS in turn creates more anxiety.

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
yep and we only have one life...so we should enjoy it while we can..Its easy to get stressed out, i feel so stressed out today as my kids are due to visit till monday, my x is making things very difficult, hes making up all kinds of excuses as to why they cant come for the weekend, inside i feel like my
is breaking and honest to god i feel like crying my eyes out, but what good will it do? none!!

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
hi chris, i was married to adolph ### for 17 long hard years, 3 kids 17, nearly 16 and 14.The 17 yr old and me have not seen each other or spoken for 1yr, as she is seeing a brat who is 17 and drinks and takes drugs (me and my partner dont approve) she has literally broken my
She was a brilliant school pupil, intelligent and gifted in art, she wanted to go to art college, doubt if she will now..Where i am in scotland we have glasgow on one side and edinburgh on the other, where i live in nice and friendly.My brother married an italian-american and now lives in troy michigan, i think he misses scotland in his own way, he lived in minnesota for a few years also..Hope you are feeling better chris.. take care.

G

·
H8IBS - well you've tapped into a very rich vein here. I'm a total hypochrondriac - normally keep this fairly well under control, but our wonderful best man has pancreatic cancer and my hubby's work college of 35 has just died of bowel cancer - Jaysus - totally panicked which is incredibly selfish of me, when these wonderful people are/were facing the real thing. I'm sure stress does not help AT ALL and for me, its about 80% of the problem.Keep talking - that's what I'm doing, since I'm having a bad patch anxiety wise at the mo!!Take care everyoneSue, Manchester
PS: Chris, Scotland is great - I'm English (well actually 1/4 Scottish - have a Granny from Edinburgh) but went to Uni in Edinburgh. Peeps there, weren't that thrilled with the English but loved the Glaswegians, North, up near Ullapool is fab too if you ever get a chance to visit

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
The weekend has proven to be great, my son is here and has had a brill time, my daughter didnt come (cant help shes been a bit brainwashed by adolph)My sons always been closest to me, long may it continue, its sad that the kids ALWAYS suffer, well its fair to say that a lot do..

G

·
Good Joolie - aren't they just the biz (sons) - my lad Jack is 14 and an absolute DOLL!! He always takes my side, always prepared to walk the dog with me, a real wicked sense of humour and keeps me and Clare (the 12 year old) apart when at our worst - love her to bits but SOOOO stroppy at the mo. Hope your daughter and you can work summat out soon.Sue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.