Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I haven't posted on the board in a very long time, but I am just about ready to throw in the towel! I was diagnosed with IBS-D last summer. This came after two visits to the ER, and a zillion tests. I didn't even know what IBS was, I had just said I had a "queazy stomach" and survived for years on Imodium. I am not sure what actually triggered the IBS, my doctor says just too much stress in my life. Now that she has put a name on it and given me meds I am trying my best to cope with it. But right now I feel I am loosing the battle. I am in pain every day, right side of my stomach, and the same side and place in my back. Feels like someone is pushing a hot poker in and out of my stomach. I have been taking my Bentyl daily now. Sometimes I can't even function....have missed two days of work at my new job-have only been there a month. I started the Atkins diet, which kinda seemsed to help a bit. I know I must have trigger foods, but don't know what they are yet. I am keeping a log so that when Iet an attack I can write down what I had eaten last. I know I am driving my family crazy with this stuff. At times I don't wanna go anywhere-either cause of the pain, or I know I'll have to be by a bathroom. My husband is trying to understand what I am going thru, but you don't know till you've been there. The IBS is so effecting my life now that I am getting more stressed, eating my "comfort foods" (am sure there are trigger foods here!) feeling more anxious (I take meds for that too) and I just want to jump into the big black hole where it feels safe
I am so tired of this stuff, taking the meds, worrying about everything....I feel lost and afraid. I am supposed to go back to the doc, but now we have a different insurance and now I will have to tell my story all over again and again to a new doctor. How do you all learn to just live with IBS? At times the pain for me is so bad, I can't take it. Last Sunday I passed out from a severe attack....my husband found me on the floor. I'm sorry to ramble on so, but I have nobody who really understands what I am going thru. Thanks for letting me vent/share with you all.Debra

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi Debra, sorry you are feeling so poorly I have been thru many bouts of being ready to totally throw in the towel and give up -- thank heavens I didn't. I went thru some very rough times with pain, D, nausea, etc., and I was in India at the time and the doctor I saw, although responsive, couldn't help too much. I also traveled to Hong Kong and Singpore to seek help, finally ended up coming back to the US and eventually getting help. I had surgery which helped tremendously and now most of my attacks, and I do have them, are not terribly terrible. I do have to thank this BB immensely for it is what truly saved my life -- to learn that others were like me and going thru similar circumstances. My prayers are with you and I know y ou will weather this storm. I've been weathering for 12 years. I think you are on the right track with a food journal; we are all different so we all have different triggers. I've learned to live with the problem, altho some of my family and friends have given up on me. I say, so what, I have to do what is right for me and if they don't undersand that is something they have to live with. Keep a stiff upper lip, lots of toilet paper in the house and smile. Phyllis

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hi Debra, sorry you are feeling so poorly I have been thru many bouts of being ready to totally throw in the towel and give up -- thank heavens I didn't. I went thru some very rough times with pain, D, nausea, etc., and I was in India at the time and the doctor I saw, although responsive, couldn't help too much. I also traveled to Hong Kong and Singpore to seek help, finally ended up coming back to the US and eventually getting help. I had surgery which helped tremendously and now most of my attacks, and I do have them, are not terribly terrible. I do have to thank this BB immensely for it is what truly saved my life -- to learn that others were like me and going thru similar circumstances. My prayers are with you and I know y ou will weather this storm. I've been weathering for 12 years. I think you are on the right track with a food journal; we are all different so we all have different triggers. I've learned to live with the problem, altho some of my family and friends have given up on me. I say, so what, I have to do what is right for me and if they don't undersand that is something they have to live with. Keep a stiff upper lip, lots of toilet paper in the house and smile. Phyllis

·
Registered
169 Posts
debra m, i to can relate on this! many times i just wanted to forget that there is an outside world and i believe that this is what can hurt the most. i am also on meds for agraphobia(the fear of open places) nad i know this must be because of the IBS-D. hey, you don't know where the bathrooms are and this creates more anxiety which in turn triggers the D. this is definately a mind vs. body (or the other way around depending on the day) kind of thing. but, please don't give up because you owe it to yourself. i've had IBS-D for 13 years now and yes have had many really bad days!!! but, every day i learn more about myself, i just pay attention to my body more. and when i have to "go" man, i'm otta there! i really don't care what people think because their not the ones who have to stand in a checkout line knowing that they have a bad "urge" and just have to hurry up or they'll "do it in their pants"! i'm not ot sure what to call this, a "situation,curse or disease"! and yes, there is life with IBS(i know that you wish you could have the IBS-C, i know i sure do!) just be patient with yourself,listen to your body and forget what others think! you will be able to adjust the "every day is a different day" because i did. i was ready to "end" it all because of this and it's not worth that sacrifice! i'd rather be alive with the craps that dead with nothing!

·
Registered
169 Posts
debra m, i to can relate on this! many times i just wanted to forget that there is an outside world and i believe that this is what can hurt the most. i am also on meds for agraphobia(the fear of open places) nad i know this must be because of the IBS-D. hey, you don't know where the bathrooms are and this creates more anxiety which in turn triggers the D. this is definately a mind vs. body (or the other way around depending on the day) kind of thing. but, please don't give up because you owe it to yourself. i've had IBS-D for 13 years now and yes have had many really bad days!!! but, every day i learn more about myself, i just pay attention to my body more. and when i have to "go" man, i'm otta there! i really don't care what people think because their not the ones who have to stand in a checkout line knowing that they have a bad "urge" and just have to hurry up or they'll "do it in their pants"! i'm not ot sure what to call this, a "situation,curse or disease"! and yes, there is life with IBS(i know that you wish you could have the IBS-C, i know i sure do!) just be patient with yourself,listen to your body and forget what others think! you will be able to adjust the "every day is a different day" because i did. i was ready to "end" it all because of this and it's not worth that sacrifice! i'd rather be alive with the craps that dead with nothing!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Debra, I've had this illness all my life... going on seven years since I've been diagnosed... and at times I feel like I am fighting a ghost. Sometimes I wish IBS was a person so I could beat the hell out of him and let him know what it feels like.What I've learned from all this time living with IBS is that you can't "beat" it, it isn't a war you can win. You have to make peace with it, accept that this is the way things are and you can either spend all your time dwelling on it oryou can get on with your life and just live.For a long time I was depressed because all I could think about was what my life would be like if I didn't have this illness. By no means am I claiming that things are all sunshine and smiles now, but seriously, the more you think about IBS the worse it will seem. You have to focus on your hopes, dreams, and loves, and follow them where they lead you. And when inevitably IBS does strike again you take a time-out from your life and deal with it, then get right back into your life again.Hope this post doesn't seem callous. Believe me I know how much IBS hurts both physically and emotionally. Good luck to you.-- Jared

·
Registered
120 Posts
Debra, I've had this illness all my life... going on seven years since I've been diagnosed... and at times I feel like I am fighting a ghost. Sometimes I wish IBS was a person so I could beat the hell out of him and let him know what it feels like.What I've learned from all this time living with IBS is that you can't "beat" it, it isn't a war you can win. You have to make peace with it, accept that this is the way things are and you can either spend all your time dwelling on it oryou can get on with your life and just live.For a long time I was depressed because all I could think about was what my life would be like if I didn't have this illness. By no means am I claiming that things are all sunshine and smiles now, but seriously, the more you think about IBS the worse it will seem. You have to focus on your hopes, dreams, and loves, and follow them where they lead you. And when inevitably IBS does strike again you take a time-out from your life and deal with it, then get right back into your life again.Hope this post doesn't seem callous. Believe me I know how much IBS hurts both physically and emotionally. Good luck to you.-- Jared

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
hey debra. sorry to hear all you've been through. but rest assured, i totally (and i'm sure everyone else does too) understand and i sympathize with you too. i too have the fainting spells you've mentioned. after one, i normally am sick for at least 2 days, and somewhat bed ridden. though, i have learned to read my signs. i get very very hot, and start sweating, right before i get dizzy. then i probably have about 15 minutes to find a place with no sharp edges. lol but, i have now learned to lay down as soon as the hot/sweating thing starts. oh it has really helped!! as a matter of fact i had a fainting spell today, around noon, and i layed down for a while. i had an appointment at 1:30 (which i was ready to cancel if need be) but i was A.O.K.!! after laying down for a solid 45 minutes to an hour, i was up and about, though a little slow, and i must admit grumpy. who can blame you??
anyhow, long story short, today - same day as a fainting spell that would normally put me out of commission until at least wed. - i am helping my mom move furniture, and wash her walls so she can paint. the journal thing you are doing is a big help. not that i have particularly learned anything about my trigger foods that way (they seem to be fairly hit and miss) BUT it has taught me how to listen to my body and what it subtly tells me, before it has to smack in the face and say
for a couple of days. jared's advice was quite sound and i agree with him 100%. i wish you the best debra, and i hope you can find some comfort and solace. ever thought about getting some counseling? (just as a stress-management technique) i went through counseling for about a month or two and i feel like it did help. (had to quit for financial reasons) at any rate i wish you the best!!! ~mrs. mason

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
hey debra. sorry to hear all you've been through. but rest assured, i totally (and i'm sure everyone else does too) understand and i sympathize with you too. i too have the fainting spells you've mentioned. after one, i normally am sick for at least 2 days, and somewhat bed ridden. though, i have learned to read my signs. i get very very hot, and start sweating, right before i get dizzy. then i probably have about 15 minutes to find a place with no sharp edges. lol but, i have now learned to lay down as soon as the hot/sweating thing starts. oh it has really helped!! as a matter of fact i had a fainting spell today, around noon, and i layed down for a while. i had an appointment at 1:30 (which i was ready to cancel if need be) but i was A.O.K.!! after laying down for a solid 45 minutes to an hour, i was up and about, though a little slow, and i must admit grumpy. who can blame you??
anyhow, long story short, today - same day as a fainting spell that would normally put me out of commission until at least wed. - i am helping my mom move furniture, and wash her walls so she can paint. the journal thing you are doing is a big help. not that i have particularly learned anything about my trigger foods that way (they seem to be fairly hit and miss) BUT it has taught me how to listen to my body and what it subtly tells me, before it has to smack in the face and say
for a couple of days. jared's advice was quite sound and i agree with him 100%. i wish you the best debra, and i hope you can find some comfort and solace. ever thought about getting some counseling? (just as a stress-management technique) i went through counseling for about a month or two and i feel like it did help. (had to quit for financial reasons) at any rate i wish you the best!!! ~mrs. mason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts