Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some people on this board has gone through this, and if anyone wants to share their expierence or any other info on it I would really appreciate it! I had my first attack last summer, and went to the ER the next day. They didn't find any stones and sent me home. The other night I got another attack, and went straight to the ER. This time they found several stones, and my gallbladder mildly inflammed. I saw the surgeon yesterday, and he told me how they do it. I'm having the Larpo way done, with just the small cuts made. I'm also doing it as an outpatient, so I should be able to go home the same day. This is my first actual operation. So it has me pretty scared. The surgeon made it out to be no real big deal. But I've been reading some of the complications and I don't know how rare they actually are. The surgeon said it's all possible that a bad gallbladder has been causing my IBS the past 3 years. But like so many, once it comes out you may get D anyway. So can't win there. Please help, I'm just freaking out over this whole thing.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I haven't been through it myself, but my mom went through it about 14 years ago on an emergency basis when she was in her mid-70's. She never had a complaint about it. She recovered quicky and never complained about pain. Hope yours goes as smoothly.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I haven't been through it myself, but my mom went through it about 14 years ago on an emergency basis when she was in her mid-70's. She never had a complaint about it. She recovered quicky and never complained about pain. Hope yours goes as smoothly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had my gallbladder out 4 years ago Lapro.It went fine and the only problem I had was the allergic reation to the anesthia(not sure on spelling).I will admit however I have had alot of problems with D since and am on medication for this. But ALL people are different in how they react. Alot of mine has to do with nerves.But if you do start to have trouble after the surgery there is a medicine called"Colestid" or "Questran" that can help with these symptoms.I have been on them for 2-3 years and they have help alot! Lots of past posts on this.I think the surgery Lapro is alot easier and you will barely have any scars. Mine are all faded and gone. Hope this helps and anymore questions let me know!Batty

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had my gallbladder out 4 years ago Lapro.It went fine and the only problem I had was the allergic reation to the anesthia(not sure on spelling).I will admit however I have had alot of problems with D since and am on medication for this. But ALL people are different in how they react. Alot of mine has to do with nerves.But if you do start to have trouble after the surgery there is a medicine called"Colestid" or "Questran" that can help with these symptoms.I have been on them for 2-3 years and they have help alot! Lots of past posts on this.I think the surgery Lapro is alot easier and you will barely have any scars. Mine are all faded and gone. Hope this helps and anymore questions let me know!Batty

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Batty! How long did it take you to recover from the surgery? Were you in a lot of pain afterwards? Did they put you on a liquid diet at first or anything? I really appreciate the help! I feel like a baby freaking out so bad about this surgery! I haven't slept good since knowing it's coming out on Tuesday, I toss and turn and have nightmares of them *cutting* the wrong thing in there or something! I'm just a mess.
Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Batty! How long did it take you to recover from the surgery? Were you in a lot of pain afterwards? Did they put you on a liquid diet at first or anything? I really appreciate the help! I feel like a baby freaking out so bad about this surgery! I haven't slept good since knowing it's coming out on Tuesday, I toss and turn and have nightmares of them *cutting* the wrong thing in there or something! I'm just a mess.
Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had mine out in Nov 98 and I was in a little bit of pain in the recovery room until the lady next to me came in after a hysterectomy, I stopped complaining. I was up and walking the same day. The colestid that Batty is talking about has helped me so much, can't live without it.Lena

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had mine out in Nov 98 and I was in a little bit of pain in the recovery room until the lady next to me came in after a hysterectomy, I stopped complaining. I was up and walking the same day. The colestid that Batty is talking about has helped me so much, can't live without it.Lena

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had my gallbladder out a "few" years ago, when I was 23. There was no lapro. then, so they sliced me stem to stern. Scar is gross. Turns out the thing was packed full of stones, about the size and appearance of a child's baby teeth. I had absolutely no trouble after, just the usual soreness after a major operation. Had it out Wed., home Sat. How things have changed for the better! I'm sure you will have absolutely no trouble, and will be glad after it is over. I only had one major attack, but I didnt want to have another. Phew. My D wasn't any worse after, and has only gotten worse in the last few years. Best of luck to you. I'm sure everything will be fine. Keep us posted.Jennifer

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had my gallbladder out a "few" years ago, when I was 23. There was no lapro. then, so they sliced me stem to stern. Scar is gross. Turns out the thing was packed full of stones, about the size and appearance of a child's baby teeth. I had absolutely no trouble after, just the usual soreness after a major operation. Had it out Wed., home Sat. How things have changed for the better! I'm sure you will have absolutely no trouble, and will be glad after it is over. I only had one major attack, but I didnt want to have another. Phew. My D wasn't any worse after, and has only gotten worse in the last few years. Best of luck to you. I'm sure everything will be fine. Keep us posted.Jennifer

G

·
I had mine out several yrs ago. I had Lapro surgery & had no problems. I went home 9 hrs after the surgery & they had me eating meatloaf about 3 hrs after my surgery (I think this was a hospital mistake)...but it was good & it didnt cause any problems :)The doctor said I would be able to wear a bikini after the surgery...I was glad to hear that because I had never been able to wear one before LOL.If you are in pain from your gallbladder you will be happy you had this done!!! I cannot believe I let myself suffer with gallbladder attacks as long as I did...because the surgery was such a breeze & not that painful. I did however get IBS-D AFTER my gallbladder was removed. I never thought there was a connection until I started reading this board. Good luck, you will be fine & its not very painful...they will give you pain pills if you need them.

G

·
I had mine out several yrs ago. I had Lapro surgery & had no problems. I went home 9 hrs after the surgery & they had me eating meatloaf about 3 hrs after my surgery (I think this was a hospital mistake)...but it was good & it didnt cause any problems :)The doctor said I would be able to wear a bikini after the surgery...I was glad to hear that because I had never been able to wear one before LOL.If you are in pain from your gallbladder you will be happy you had this done!!! I cannot believe I let myself suffer with gallbladder attacks as long as I did...because the surgery was such a breeze & not that painful. I did however get IBS-D AFTER my gallbladder was removed. I never thought there was a connection until I started reading this board. Good luck, you will be fine & its not very painful...they will give you pain pills if you need them.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Pretty painless for the most part. Just a sore abdomen for about a week. The lap scars fade almost entirely away. Mine was an emergency so I had to stay the night to get IV antibiotics b4 surgery because my liver and pancreas were infected. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Pretty painless for the most part. Just a sore abdomen for about a week. The lap scars fade almost entirely away. Mine was an emergency so I had to stay the night to get IV antibiotics b4 surgery because my liver and pancreas were infected. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi Homebound,had my gallbladder out in Feb. Was the easiest surgery I ever had. The doc thought the IBS was caused by it also, but not the case. Had slight D over and above my usual for a few weeks, then went back to usual.The surgery itself is no big deal, at least for me. No pain whatsoever from the surgery...the gallbladder attacks were far worse. So don't be scared (well, I was scared, but you know what I mean), don't worry, it isn't bad at all, and you can eat right away stuff that bothered you before.Take care and good luck....
------------------~Marilyn~Helping Mike to help others~ www.ibsaudioprogram.com and www.healthyaudio.com

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi Homebound,had my gallbladder out in Feb. Was the easiest surgery I ever had. The doc thought the IBS was caused by it also, but not the case. Had slight D over and above my usual for a few weeks, then went back to usual.The surgery itself is no big deal, at least for me. No pain whatsoever from the surgery...the gallbladder attacks were far worse. So don't be scared (well, I was scared, but you know what I mean), don't worry, it isn't bad at all, and you can eat right away stuff that bothered you before.Take care and good luck....
------------------~Marilyn~Helping Mike to help others~ www.ibsaudioprogram.com and www.healthyaudio.com

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Homebound,I had gall bladder surgery about 5 months ago. I, too, am a big baby and dreaded it in every possible way! I was scared too! It was my first and only surgery. Mine was done laproscopic as well....I went in early Saturday morning and went home early Sunday morning....as outpatient. They did tell me I would be able to go home the same day before the surgery but I have found they sometimes like to keep you overnight ....and under 23 hours in a hospital is considered outpatient here. Once you are asleep you don't realize the passing of time so try not to worry about the during part, when you wake up you will be groggy and a little out of sorts. Take the pain medication as often as you can... I do not remember having very much pain but I also took the demerol shots every 3-4 hours. I believe I was given liquids late in the day and did fine with that. I was able to eat anything the next day but it wasn't really appealling at the time. If at first you don't feel like eating don't because the anesthesia can still make you feel sick for a few days depending on how you react to anesthesia....I tried to eat something 2 days after and knew after the first bite I had to stop. Listen to you body....I have small scars which are fading slightly and I was sore for a week maybe. To give you an idea, I had just had a baby 5 weeks earlier and I was able to help tend to him the night I cam home from the dr. The lapro way will be so much easier on you. You can't be superwoman and lift a lot of things but you will be better much quicker than you realize!If I can offer any support before or after your surgery please do not hesitate to email me!! I was a big chicken!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Homebound,I had gall bladder surgery about 5 months ago. I, too, am a big baby and dreaded it in every possible way! I was scared too! It was my first and only surgery. Mine was done laproscopic as well....I went in early Saturday morning and went home early Sunday morning....as outpatient. They did tell me I would be able to go home the same day before the surgery but I have found they sometimes like to keep you overnight ....and under 23 hours in a hospital is considered outpatient here. Once you are asleep you don't realize the passing of time so try not to worry about the during part, when you wake up you will be groggy and a little out of sorts. Take the pain medication as often as you can... I do not remember having very much pain but I also took the demerol shots every 3-4 hours. I believe I was given liquids late in the day and did fine with that. I was able to eat anything the next day but it wasn't really appealling at the time. If at first you don't feel like eating don't because the anesthesia can still make you feel sick for a few days depending on how you react to anesthesia....I tried to eat something 2 days after and knew after the first bite I had to stop. Listen to you body....I have small scars which are fading slightly and I was sore for a week maybe. To give you an idea, I had just had a baby 5 weeks earlier and I was able to help tend to him the night I cam home from the dr. The lapro way will be so much easier on you. You can't be superwoman and lift a lot of things but you will be better much quicker than you realize!If I can offer any support before or after your surgery please do not hesitate to email me!! I was a big chicken!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you ALL so much for your stories, you have no idea how much they have helped me. I'm such a big chicken when it comes to this kind of thing! And it really calms me to see so many of you have gone through this and it wasn't TOO bad!
Although I think I'm probably going to be scared right up until they knock me out cold! But I'll try to think of this thread and remember all of your stories!KimTN don't be surprised to get an email from me the next few days!! Thanks so much for your help and support!Jennifer

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.