Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.I just found the forum via a google search for "cutting seton", something I have the pleasure of wearing at the moment.I've learned a lot in just 15 mins of browsing, but I would appreciate some advice.I'm a 32 yo male in the UK. About 15 years ago I started having frequent loose BMs which were usually accompanied by a burning sensation in the skin of the surrounding area. I visited my GP and was asked for a stool sample, the very idea of trying to catch poop in a jar was enough to keep me away from doctors for the next 13 years (I'm a little squeamish about scatological matters).I learned to wash after each BM to avoid the irritation and to live with the unpredictable sudden urges to visit the bathroom. Interestingly the frequency problem is always worse when I'm at home within easy reach of the bathroom.2 years ago while on a long motorcycle journey I started having terrible pain in the rectal area, I could hardly walk and couldn't continue on the bike. I visited a local doctor and another 2 when I got home, but none of them were very interested, they all had a quick look and a poke around but declared nothing found. (Except one locum GP who also found nothing but recorded haemorrhoids in my notes, this is still spreading confusion even now.) The pain was accompanied by a noticeable lump on my left buttock, bleeding and pus being passed during BMs. I could often feel pockets of fluid moving around where they shouldn't have been.My GP referred my to the local CRS, who admitted me for an EUA, whilst I was under, he decided that I was suffering from anal tightness and that he would perform a lateral anal sphincterotomy which was not something we'd discussed and I certainly hadn't given consent for. I was sent home the same day in a real mess, in lots of pain with bleeding and leakage, it took me months to get over the surgery and even now 2 years later I still have some sphincter weakness and painful scar tissue. As I understand it LAS isn't a normal treatment for anal tightness anyway.On my follow up visit I was scheduled for a barium enema, but by this point I'd lost all confidence in my treatment and decided to stay away from the medical profession until I'd got something obvious and easy to diagnose. I learned to deal with the painful lump by carefully squeezing it back towards my anus, which would allow gas or pus to escape. One day I squeezed a bit too hard and felt the fluid move in the wrong direction and I now had 2 lumps and twice the pain.About 4 weeks ago the tract reached the skin surface about 3" away from the rectum on my left buttock, the pus started to drain freely and the pain subsided, at last I thought I've got something that even the most myopic doctor can't miss. My GP sent me straight to the hospital the same day for a surgical evaluation where a fistula was confirmed. 2 weeks ago (under a different and much better CRS) I had it partially laid open where it was not far under the skin and a rubber cutting seton fitted to deal with the remainder. For the first week I couldn't believe my body could produce so much pus but now it is calming down and the open tract is starting to heal, the tension from the seton doesn't feel too bad although I'm sure I can feel it cutting every now and again. In another 4 weeks I have a follow up appointment, hopefully by then the seton will have done its job.From the very beginning I've been asking about IBS but nobody seems very interested, the GPs seem to defer decisions to the surgeons and the surgeons don't seem interested in anything they can't treat with a scalpel.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Fistulas are not common in IBS, but they can happen to anyone, even with no other GI problems.We have a fistula support forum and they may be better able to answer your questions. While people with IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) get them more often than anyone else, like I said they can happen to anyone. Anyway the Fistula information is in with the Inflammatory Bowel Disease part of the board. We are about to go into an upgrade, so I'm not sure the link will still be the same, but if you go to our main listing you should find it and if I get a chance once the board is back up I'll post the link so you can find that.Otherwise the loose stools are very common in IBS and a lot of people also have pelvic floor issues (although not needed for an IBS diagnosis they often go together) and I assume if you'd been having a lot of bloody diarrhea, unexplained fevers, or weight loss all out of proportion with what you eat (which are other symptoms of IBD and not part of IBS) you'd have noticed that and maybe even been sick enough to see the doctor for that even though you don't like them. http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/index.php?/forum/64-fistula-support/ is the link to the fistula support forum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.