Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've posted here before with my full story about my IBS. I have IBS-D with a little IBS-C, anxiety is a huge trigger factor, greasy foods are particually troublesome, I might have Gluten Intolerance, I may be Lactose Intolerant, I've had 5 very bad months with my IBS, my symptoms are usually loose BM's, abdominal pains, gas, senstations of needing to "go", and cramps, I'm male, and I'm a teenager in high school.About 7 months ago my IBS got generally worse. It wasn't that I had more D or loose BMs than usual, it was that I had more gas, cramps, pains, and sensations to need to "go". Because of this, I did a complete overhaul of my eating habits. I started off doing something that probably wasn't a very smart idea; if I had a big event that I need to go to where my IBS would be a major problem (such as going to work, marching band) I would eat about half as much as I normally would on that day. That led to eating about half as much on the day of the event and the day before, and twice I ate only marginally the day before and I ate nothing on the day of the event until after the event, which would usually be at night. I did this because I believed that it would help to control my IBS and I figured that if I didn't eat, there would be absolutely no chance that I would have some D. This was a very bad time for me!The marching bad season ended 2 months later, so I never again "fasted" to that extreme. But, around that time I began not eating breakfast and or lunch, opting to instead drink a nutrition drink in the morning and waiting until school ended at 3 to eat an actual meal. I would eat a lot in the afternoons, to compensate. This lasted for a while, I don't remember how long exactly.Around this time I also changed up my diet a lot. I completely gave up on anything greasy, so no fried foods at all; I also gave up on butter and rich in fat foods. My diet consisted of mostly rice, breaded chicken, cereals, soy milk (chocolate flavored, yummy), bagels, breads, and nutrition drinks (lactose free); I was trying to follow the IBS: The First Year diet.About 3 months ago I began eating lunch again; I had aquired a lunch period during the school day where I could go home for lunch. This way I felt comfortable eating lunch because I could make what I needed, and I had a toilet that I had easy access to.Recently, my diet changed again; I took up the possibility that I may have a gluten allergy. So, all my bread products are now gluten and wheat free. I also stopped drinking soy milk in favor of rice and almond milk. This newest diet seems to be working wonderfully for me; I'm very, very regular, only need to have a BM 2-3 times a day, the sensations of needing to find a bathroom have been reduced, I have much much less gas and cramps, but strangely I now have a lot more pains in my abdominal area and I'm experiencing random bouts of minor constipation that don't last longer than a day.Well, I think I've run into some very bad trouble. 9 months ago, I weighed about 170. I was 6 feet tall. 6 months ago, when my IBS became worse and I took those drastic measures, I weighed about 165 or so. During the really bad 2 months follwing this I lost a bunch of weight. I think I once lost almost 5 pounds in 2 days, when I almost completely stopped eating for those 2 days. I think after those bad two months, I was somewhere hovering around 155 or so. 2 months after that, which is 2 months after I drastically changed my diet, I went down to yet consistently maintained 150. 2 months ago (about a month after I reached 150), I slowly started losing a little more and more weight. 6-5 weeks ago, I reached 145. Around this time (the last 2 months) I was eating lunch, but no breakfast. Now, it gets really creepy. 4 weeks ago, I reached a weight that terrified me - 140. I was very confused, very shocked, and very upset. I knew that it was not natural. So, I decided to take action. I began eating more, and more often. I tried eating breakfast again, but that ended very, very badly! Each day that I ate breakfast I had to go home sick from school because I was having D. It was very traumatizing, so I haven't eaten breakfast on a schoolday since. My weight then started crazily fluctuating. Sometimes, after I had a good weekend where I ate a lot, I weighed 145. Then, it would go back to 140 after the school week. One time, it dipped to 135 after I didn't eat breakfast the day before and I ate a smaller amount of food the day before. Seeing 135.... I was so, so disturbed. I was very confused, angry, shocked, even appalled. I gained back to 140 soon after. 2 days ago, I went down to 137, but now it's back to 140.
This has been very confusing, very shocking, and very scary. Though, I don't really know a lot about what I'm supposed to weigh and about how much weight a person can lose in a span of time without hurting their body. Am I in big trouble here? Why is this happening? How do I get the weight back? I'm very, very scared!My body has changed as I've dipped under 150. I notice how thin my arms are becoming. My stomach looks very thin. I can sort of see my rib cage. I feel very strange, often, in terms of my body's compostition. My pants are becoming looser and looser. I can feel my joints.Okay, so what's wrong with me, and how do I fix it? Other things you might need to know: for the last 2 months, I took Immodium AD 3 days a week as either a precautionary measure or because I had some D or loose bowel. This last week, I haven't taken any. Could Immodium AD cause this weight problem? Um, what else.... I either eat small portions a lot or large ones fewer times, so I don't really do one of the other more often. I don't excersize that much, though I do literally walk about half a mile throughout my school day getting from class to class (I have a humongous High School). I do participate marginally in gym class.Also, I should mention that 6 months ago when I "fasted" for small periods, I began being intrigued by losing weight, how it makes me looks, etc. I did not intend to lose a lot weight by "fasting", I only wanted to be able to survive marching band and the other stuff I had to do. I was very emotionally traumatized at this time by my IBS. Now, I'm not in band anymore, and I generally do much less things, realizing that I need to take some time to figure things out with my IBS. I never really was happy that I was losing a lot of weight, only intrigued by it. Now, I absolutely am terrified by it, feel guilty I was ever intigued by it; kind of a twist. I don't want to lose anymore, not just for my health, but because I'm beginning to look very odd and I want to look normal and healthy.Thank you for reading my post, and thanks in advance for any help/advice you can give me.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi Hon... Just to say, firsly, I am a mom, and my son was in marching band, that is one of the most challenging things to do in school, you really took charge to participate....But also, in reading your post, it is good to vent on the BB, but, hon, you will have to take everything you have written here, to a professional; we can support you, and encourage you, but the BB and cyber space is not the place for your real healing to take place. You do have IBS issues, and that we can give suggestions for. We can help you and give our opinions from our experiences, but as a former speech therapist,who has worked with kids of all ages, you need one on one in person help, because your IBS issues have gone into another facet, than just specifically IBS.Find an adult you trust, preferably your parent(s) or guardian, but if you have issues there, then your counselor, or adult mentor at school, church, someone safe. You need to get checked out under a physician's care as well, because your weight issues can be serious if not addressed if your ribs are showing. At 6 ft tall, you should weigh more, and I am concerned for you. This goes beyond IBS, because of IBS and trying to deal with it, you now have some issues that should be guided by a physician to get you back on track with your general health. Also, you have the fear of eating due to a possible attack of D is IBS, and you need to break that fear in order to stop that cycle. So ask your doctor too, but I think that Mike's program (IBS Audio Program 100.com) would also help you ALONG WITH seeing the doc, not as a replacement or substitute for it. That way, you can work to break the eating/D attack fear cycle, and still get your weight loss issues addressed for your overall health.Hope you can do this.. as a mom, I know it is hard to address all these things, and my hs daughter also has similar issues, so I say this with caring and experience too... (((HUGS))) and all the best. In answer re Immodium, the docs say it is ok to take long term, and preventively as you have been, I doubt it would cause any weight problems, it just basically slows down the peristalsis of the gut; translation, takes longer for the food to go thru the system, so that shouldn't really be a big factor with the weight. You lose weight when the energy you expend is greater than the energy (calories) you take in. You need to eat more in order to sustain all the activity you do..Hope this helped a bit, and all the best to you... (I think I saw you post over on the other BB too.) Take care... and get better soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see.... I understand. Well, I do see a therapist for the emotional stuff. I've seen my normal doctor multiple times about my IBS problems and I've seen a GI doctor multiple times as well (he was the one that diagnosed me with IBS). I have not, though, seen a doctor again about my weight loss problem. I told my therapish about it, and she said I should see a doctor as well. I'll have my parents make an appointment with my doctor, then.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
OK, hon.. you are doing all the right things! You are on the right track. When you are dealing with all the stuff you are, we can encourage you, but without knowing all about you, it just isn't right for us to tell you to do stuff, when you may have other health things going on. We want to keep you safe! Hang in there, and hope it goes well. You will be better soon... you are a smart fellow, I can tell!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry for the LONG reply wait ive only just seen your post, im going on holiday tomorrow and i hope you will reply to tell me if you got it sorted.As i too am suffering huge weight loss and im rather scared

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry for the LONG reply wait ive only just seen your post, im going on holiday tomorrow and i hope you will reply to tell me if you got it sorted.As i too am suffering huge weight loss and im rather scared

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do hope your feeling better and life is a lot better for you? My son is also losing weight 42lb in a few months his weight now is 139lb, He refuses to eat because of the pain which for a mother seeing her son suffer so much is heart breaking. were waiting for him to go into hospital for a bowel biopsy...Is there anything you've found thats helped you? Neil is 5ft 10inches so like yourself hes very under weight.God bless and i hope u get well soon....x

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do hope your feeling better and life is a lot better for you? My son is also losing weight 42lb in a few months his weight now is 139lb, He refuses to eat because of the pain which for a mother seeing her son suffer so much is heart breaking. were waiting for him to go into hospital for a bowel biopsy...Is there anything you've found thats helped you? Neil is 5ft 10inches so like yourself hes very under weight.God bless and i hope u get well soon....x

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was losing weight as well along with extreme diarrhea and lots of pain all the time. If you have not already talked with your doctor about this, I recommend you do. Have you had extensive testing to rule out everything that could be causing your symptoms? If not, your IBS diagnosis may be incorrect. If you have done all the testing and the doctor has left you on your own as most do with the IBS diagnosis, read on. There is a link here on top of the board, http://www.primaldefense.net/primaldefcap.htm The supplements have worked wonders for me, I have my life back and am no longer losing weight and suffering from extreme diarrhea or pain anymore.
Sometimes change of diet just isn't enough. I can't say these supplements are the cure for all but they have worked for me. Good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was losing weight as well along with extreme diarrhea and lots of pain all the time. If you have not already talked with your doctor about this, I recommend you do. Have you had extensive testing to rule out everything that could be causing your symptoms? If not, your IBS diagnosis may be incorrect. If you have done all the testing and the doctor has left you on your own as most do with the IBS diagnosis, read on. There is a link here on top of the board, http://www.primaldefense.net/primaldefcap.htm The supplements have worked wonders for me, I have my life back and am no longer losing weight and suffering from extreme diarrhea or pain anymore.
Sometimes change of diet just isn't enough. I can't say these supplements are the cure for all but they have worked for me. Good luck to you and I hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey ShanshuI have lost 5kg (10lbs) over several months when my IBS got really bad (which inspired me to seek medical help and achieve eventual diagnosis), and haven't managed to put it back on yet. I have now weigh 50kg (110lbs). I am 5'4" (approx 160cm).Here is a Body Mass Indicator site with a calculator and "Guidelines for a Healthy Weight" http://www.wdxcyber.com/bmi.htm#ideal which might be of some use to you.I am interested in Absorb Plus, formulated by Jini Patel Thompson, the author of LISTEN TO YOUR GUT: Natural Healing & Dealing With Inflammatory Bowel Disease & Irritable Bowel Syndrome. http://www.absorbplus.com/absorb/story.asp It is elemental (pre-digested) and is a liquid shake available in French Vanilla, Mixed Berry and Chocolate Royale. It claims to "contain the right amounts and forms of protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals for gaining solid weight, NOT FAT. Many competing products contain mainly fat and sugar resulting in an increase in body fat".For weight gain, they recommend adding Flax oil providing you with more calories and Omega-3 essential fatty acids.I'm definitely going to try the omega-3 oils as they have such rave reviews for general good health, but I was hoping others have tried this product and could give feedback on their experience with it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey ShanshuI have lost 5kg (10lbs) over several months when my IBS got really bad (which inspired me to seek medical help and achieve eventual diagnosis), and haven't managed to put it back on yet. I have now weigh 50kg (110lbs). I am 5'4" (approx 160cm).Here is a Body Mass Indicator site with a calculator and "Guidelines for a Healthy Weight" http://www.wdxcyber.com/bmi.htm#ideal which might be of some use to you.I am interested in Absorb Plus, formulated by Jini Patel Thompson, the author of LISTEN TO YOUR GUT: Natural Healing & Dealing With Inflammatory Bowel Disease & Irritable Bowel Syndrome. http://www.absorbplus.com/absorb/story.asp It is elemental (pre-digested) and is a liquid shake available in French Vanilla, Mixed Berry and Chocolate Royale. It claims to "contain the right amounts and forms of protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals for gaining solid weight, NOT FAT. Many competing products contain mainly fat and sugar resulting in an increase in body fat".For weight gain, they recommend adding Flax oil providing you with more calories and Omega-3 essential fatty acids.I'm definitely going to try the omega-3 oils as they have such rave reviews for general good health, but I was hoping others have tried this product and could give feedback on their experience with it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey Shanshu, according to the BMI, the healthy weight range for people 6" is 136 - 177 lbs. The table I used (see previous post) doesn't specify gender - not sure if you should be heavier because you're a bloke - but it sounds like you shouldn't be concerned about being 140lbs. Please note thought that although lots of us seem to have experienced weight loss due to IBS, the common medical analysis of IBS claims it it is not a common symptom, and is an indicator of other problems, like Celiac disease (which can lead to bowel cancer if not diagnosed and treated). So you want to be absolutely sure you don't have some other condition (in addition to or instead of IBS).

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey Shanshu, according to the BMI, the healthy weight range for people 6" is 136 - 177 lbs. The table I used (see previous post) doesn't specify gender - not sure if you should be heavier because you're a bloke - but it sounds like you shouldn't be concerned about being 140lbs. Please note thought that although lots of us seem to have experienced weight loss due to IBS, the common medical analysis of IBS claims it it is not a common symptom, and is an indicator of other problems, like Celiac disease (which can lead to bowel cancer if not diagnosed and treated). So you want to be absolutely sure you don't have some other condition (in addition to or instead of IBS).

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Have you had the IBS diagnosed by a doctor??Yeah..morning can be a rough time for IBSers. The colon is most active right after you get up, then also increases activity after you eat, so breakfast can be a nightmare.I would check your calories in with your weight to see if it makes sense. www.practicalweightloss.com used to have (haven't looked lately, but there are other places out there) that will tell you how many calories you need to eat to maintain a given weight at a given activity level.If your numbers do not make sense you need to get to the doctor right away (like you need 2000 calories and typically consume 3000 or more and cannot maintain weight or keep losing it).It sounds from what I got out of your writing was that the weight and the food amounts (like you don't have breakfast...if you do that you need to make up those calories later) make sense. That your weight may be explained by calories.Typically to gain weight consistanty you need to consume 500 calories more than you need daily.FWIW weight can fluxuate a lot during the day or from day to day based on how much water is in your body at any given moment, so weighing once a week at the same time of day (so like sunday morning when you get up) is the best way to track weight. If for any reason the food in and the weight on is out of balance get thee to a doctor immediately. There are a lot of reasons one cannot maintain weight and if you have one you need to get that treated.On the how much weight can you lose...1-2 pounds a week is the most you want to lose to minimize the risks (gall bladder disease often occurs when you lose a lot of weight over a short time) and gaining weight should also be in the same sort of goal range.One thing that may help is ENSURE. It is a nutritional supplement for people who are sick and can't maintain weight, but it is sometimes a handy way for people to regain weight, or get extra calories when eating alone is not doing the trick. It is most often well tolerated (people with crohn's or Ulc. Colitis sometimes go one Ensure only for a couple of weeks to give the colon a rest when it is badly inflammed...and they usually have diarrhea issues big time).Have you looked into any medications/dietary/other treatments for the diarrhea. Maybe if you got it under control with something like Calcium, or the right diet, or Imodium (low dose daily) or anitdepressants, or antispasmodics, etc. You wouldn't need to control it with fasting and that would help get you out of the cycle you seem to be in.Good luck!!K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Have you had the IBS diagnosed by a doctor??Yeah..morning can be a rough time for IBSers. The colon is most active right after you get up, then also increases activity after you eat, so breakfast can be a nightmare.I would check your calories in with your weight to see if it makes sense. www.practicalweightloss.com used to have (haven't looked lately, but there are other places out there) that will tell you how many calories you need to eat to maintain a given weight at a given activity level.If your numbers do not make sense you need to get to the doctor right away (like you need 2000 calories and typically consume 3000 or more and cannot maintain weight or keep losing it).It sounds from what I got out of your writing was that the weight and the food amounts (like you don't have breakfast...if you do that you need to make up those calories later) make sense. That your weight may be explained by calories.Typically to gain weight consistanty you need to consume 500 calories more than you need daily.FWIW weight can fluxuate a lot during the day or from day to day based on how much water is in your body at any given moment, so weighing once a week at the same time of day (so like sunday morning when you get up) is the best way to track weight. If for any reason the food in and the weight on is out of balance get thee to a doctor immediately. There are a lot of reasons one cannot maintain weight and if you have one you need to get that treated.On the how much weight can you lose...1-2 pounds a week is the most you want to lose to minimize the risks (gall bladder disease often occurs when you lose a lot of weight over a short time) and gaining weight should also be in the same sort of goal range.One thing that may help is ENSURE. It is a nutritional supplement for people who are sick and can't maintain weight, but it is sometimes a handy way for people to regain weight, or get extra calories when eating alone is not doing the trick. It is most often well tolerated (people with crohn's or Ulc. Colitis sometimes go one Ensure only for a couple of weeks to give the colon a rest when it is badly inflammed...and they usually have diarrhea issues big time).Have you looked into any medications/dietary/other treatments for the diarrhea. Maybe if you got it under control with something like Calcium, or the right diet, or Imodium (low dose daily) or anitdepressants, or antispasmodics, etc. You wouldn't need to control it with fasting and that would help get you out of the cycle you seem to be in.Good luck!!K.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.