Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who remember me, I'm the person with IBS-D mostly and who posted a few threads in the Working and Careers section. I updated it last night for those who are interested and have the patience to read long posts.Not to repeat too much of what was written there-I'm now facing the reality where my manager indicated that in order to consider allowing me to continue to start in the afternoons instead of the desired 10-11am, and present the request to his superiors, I am required to submit a doctor's letter about my condition. This took me by surprise initially, as the manager claimed that he was understanding about my situation and said that if I was late by a certain # of minutes, I just needed to email or call my supervisor (which I did most of the time), and otherwise he would continue to be understanding about my condition and the fact I am unable to start in the mornings.Anyway, I guess the free pass for coming late has expired and now he wants the letter to make things official. My question is- how did you discuss this matter with your doctors and convince them to write your employer a letter? I'm visiting my GP next month, but I don't have a close relationship with him-I just saw him a few times, he's more my dad's doc and I started seeing him about 3 years ago-just once a year. He told me to exercise and eat better, and things would improve. He referred me to a nutritionist, and I followed some advice, but had to cut some foods from the diet since they triggered symptoms. I'm worried that about 1.5 yrs since I last saw the GP, I haven't gotten better, since I haven't followed all his advice, and so how can he now offer me a letter for the boss? The gastroenterologist I used to see who administered the colonoscopy, testing, etc. left the clinic and the secretary doesn't have his contact info. I'm pretty anxious about the whole thing...it's the first time I've had to really get serious - I'm planning to move by the summer too and the last thing I need is to be unemployed.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I would get your own Dr and not use your Dad's if you are not comfortable with them. I think if one is less emotional and more 'clinical' when addressing one's Dr about symptoms etc.. the conversation always seems to go more smoothly. So I would try that.If it helps.. in your head, act like you are talking to your Dr about someone else.. not you. It may help you get that clinicial and more objective tone and demeanor.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would recommend getting your own official doctor and if at all possible, make it a gastroenterologist. The gastro docs have a far better grasp on IBS these days and it will be a lot easier to convince them that you need this letter. If your doctor has a midlevel practitioner (nurse practitioner, physician assistant), you may want to get in with them - A lot of them have more available time than their supervising doctor and will be more apt to take on your case with the letter writing, etc. Plus it's often a lot easier to get in with them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks everyone for the tips - and BQ - you always seem to have something to say in my drawn out threads. I called the clinic I used to visit and they informed me that the gastroenterologist left - and that they don't have his contact information. The GP I have an appointment with does not seem to have an assistant though - so I'll have to talk with him directly first and see if he'd like to refer me to a new gastro doc and/or write the letter himself. In the meantime, I'll have to figure out what, if anything I tell my manager. I've been advised by others that I should go see HR right away and that once the doctor's letter is submitted and I explain the impact on my position - i.e. the limitations, then HR can communicate that to the manager.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts