Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone in BB Land! I am soooo glad to be back here, I sure missed the BB while I was without a computer! But, anyway.... what I am wondering now is... How many of you suffer from frequent headaches? Do they seem to come on with a flare-up of IBS? I have been plagued with headaches for quite a few years now...seen several doctors, even a neurologist. They didn't really know what to think, and they aren't migraines. But, I have noticed that when I have a flare-up of IBS, I usually get a headache. Last week I had a flare-up, and I am now going on week #2 with these headaches. I do have a prescription that I can take for them (butalbital), and it does help, for awhile anyway.Well, anyhow... I was just curious!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Where does your head ache? If it coincides with your flare-ups, perhaps its a stress headache, from your muscles contracting in your neck.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that's the weird thing....my head just kinda hurts all over. I guess that I really can't pin point any one spot. But you may have something tho about the stress/tension headache, I used to get real bad headaches years ago, and they would start from the back of my skull, and my neck would hurt. I'm thinking that this is probably another type of tension headache.My doctor gave me flexeril to take at night, and it does help me sleep at least when I have a doozy of a headache going on.Sheesh...am I a train wreck, or what?! LOL!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have migraines, it is usually after I have had a ibs flare up, say the day after. I only rarely have one during an ibs attack.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Ponygirll:I started experiencing more troublesome headaches a few months ago.... About same time I noticed that coffee was no longer helping my IBS-Constipation nearly as well as it used to.Seems that when the IBS worsened, these particular headaches emerged. Possibly coincidence? But as I read more such reports on these BBs, I'm beginning to think there's a link.These particular headaches of mine lately are located at the temples and above the eyes. Also --but somewhat less intensely---the upper shoulders. I can actually palpate very tender points in those locations. These headaches are somewhat helped by acupuncture.Another intereting thing i've noticed is that the TMJ I had for years sort of seems to have faded.Perhaps merely change in location of the muscular tension?I'm wondering if one could have migraine-like headaches without actually having a migraine?Is there something in between a tension headache and a migraine? I dont seem to get that band-around the-head one comes to expect in a tension headache. Or are there different types of tension-headaches?-Ira

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I really think that there is a link too. I wonder too about something in between a migraine and a tension headache...mine sound quite a lot like yours ira. This is week #2 and I STILL have the headache, altho it was a little less intense today. Em, do you take anything for your migraines? I don't know if there are different types of tension headaches, but I suppose tension headaches could affect everyone differently too...

·
Registered
82 Posts
quote:I don't know if there are different types of tension headaches, but I suppose tension headaches could affect everyone differently too...
I dont generally take anything for these migraine-like headaches. The NSAIDs such as Advil and Aleve aggravate the IBS significantly. Seems I can scarcely tolerate any oral painkillers.Adequate rest and acupuncture sometimes help me with this.I'm still awaiting the Spring 2003 Edition of the Digest published by: UNC Center for Functional GI & Motility Disorders Digest.Was told there was a good article there on non-GI symptoms in IBS: web page I guess I'll write them again if I dont get it soon.Best of luck-Ira

·
Registered
897 Posts
Headaches and D are both signs of anxiety. I had both, along with other things, until I got on anti-anxiety meds. The D stopped in 48 hours and the headaches are long gone. Take care.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hi PonygirlI take Imigran 50mg for my Migraines as they are bad, blurred eyes, vomiting etc. You can only get 6 from the doc on prescription as they knock you out. They are the only thing that work though.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
The comorbid headaches with Diarrhea and other symptoms that IBS patients experience, along with migraine which stands alone, or migraine comorbid with other conditions, have all been linked to inflammatory cytokines.These are chemicals, released inappropriately by various types of circulating immune cells, which not only have direct effects onn the nerves and tissues of the gut, but the nerves and tissues of the brain and the so called axis between...many can cross the blood-brain barrier either directly where it is limited to non-existent, or effect spefici brain centers via other secondary mediators activated within the blood vessels on that side of the BBB which then activate mediators on the other side of the BBB kin a complex sequence just now becoming understood....sort of.
Cytokines have also been linked to depression, including major depressive disorder). Depression is another semi-common comorbidity of IBS, headache, migraine, et al...alone or together.Patients who lose oral tolerance to certain foods end up with reactions which release cytokines, among others such as prostglandins, and this is an origin of mechanism that generates he symptoms perceived.Isolate and remove the provocation, the mediator release ceases, and the symptoms are avoided. While the IBS link to inflammatory mediators and cell mediated immune response has been now well documented in the last few years, the studies of cytokines and headache, including migraine, are spread out thinly over a 20 year period dating back I recall to 1979 or so...with recent discoveries becoming confirmatory as cytokine assaying has become a bit more practical to do. The discovery of cytokines role in migraine is even more recent.In fact our own immunologists, laboratory staff and those of another emerging technology company with some very exciting new toys for certain types of plasma assays are currently working together on the this very subject. The preliminary results of combining end-point mediator release testing with a quantitative cytokine assay for confirmation of food challenge induced mediator release are surprisingly consistent so far, even to those who sort of "knew it" as a result of other indirect obervations or limited narrow investigation done by others into just a handful of suspicious cytokines.I would expect that 2004 will see the publication of a very interesting investigation in this area the protocol for which is being developed right now.Indeed it is true that cytokines can also be liberated as a result of a stress-induced immune activation....but not only must we keep in mind that this is this not the sole pathway, but it may be simply a secondary pathway in these specific diseases. It does not look like it will prove to be anything more than asssociative...a secondary or amplifying response. Which is still important as if you treat a primary and secondary provocation leading to mediator release together you are going to get better results than if you just treat one or the other alone. It is less important clinically to debate the order of ballte than it is to identify with whom one must do battle and dispose of him...chicken? egg? Just get rid of them both and be done with it...You d-type headachers might find this thread of interest in explaining some of the technology and methodology involved in managing these symptoms http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...t=035372#000006 MNL

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your input! It is very much appreciated!! Still got the goll-durn headache, I'm almost willing to try anything to get rid of it at this point!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts