Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone my daughter was dignosed with IBS 2 months ago. All the test were ran and all they could find was that she was fructose and lactose intolerance (which I think is better now) but she is still having the cramping and pain on her lower left side. The pain gets worst when she is stressed, how do I deal with this? Her doctor wants to put her on a anti depression drug because all of this has made her very depressed at times
but I'm worried about the side effects. Does anyone else suffer from headaches also (they're not bad at all)?

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
daddygirl, I highly recommend you get this book on "The First Year IBS."How old is your daughter?They do use antidepressants for pain and anxiety in IBS at low doses, so you know,This is also some good ibs information for you. http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00106&si=1096

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
daddygirl, I highly recommend you get this book on "The First Year IBS."How old is your daughter?They do use antidepressants for pain and anxiety in IBS at low doses, so you know,This is also some good ibs information for you. http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=DS00106&si=1096

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I found that Celexa (my antidepressant)along with stress reduction and trigger food knowledge helped my IBS. I get headaches once in a while, but that may be my TMJ jaw acting up. I also know I still internalize some of my stress if I don't get out and swim or walk or do something. For a long time I was scared to since I didn't want to have an accident in the pool! I hope you find something that works for your daughter.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I found that Celexa (my antidepressant)along with stress reduction and trigger food knowledge helped my IBS. I get headaches once in a while, but that may be my TMJ jaw acting up. I also know I still internalize some of my stress if I don't get out and swim or walk or do something. For a long time I was scared to since I didn't want to have an accident in the pool! I hope you find something that works for your daughter.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
aurora,A positive attitude may not solve all your problems...but it WILL annoy enough people to be worth the efforti just LOVE your quips! i never get tired of reading them. this one is super funny.
~mrs. mason

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
aurora,A positive attitude may not solve all your problems...but it WILL annoy enough people to be worth the efforti just LOVE your quips! i never get tired of reading them. this one is super funny.
~mrs. mason

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I suffer from IBS and headaches. The IBS started voer 20 years ago when I was in my teens. The tension headaches not until mid-20s. Migraines in mid-30s (Oh - I never noticed that pattern before!!). The migraines though are more related to low blood sugar than stress - I only get them when I haven't eaten, usually late afternoon or early evening.anyway, I did go on a two week course of anti-depressants to break the cycle of tension headaches. This was about 7 years ago now. Before that I would get tehm almost daily and they were really bad. Even on good days, I almost always had a low grade one. The two weeks did it - it was elavil, a rather mild anti-depressant I think. I still get headaches but nothing like that. I no longer need Fiorcet to deal with either, execedrin at the worst.I also beleive my IBS is stress triggered. I've been using the hypno tapes to help with that and so far so good. I've avoided the medication route because of worrying about side effects and my personal aversion to being on anything as a daily medication. On the other hand, if this is what will work for your duaghter and will make her life better, then you should definitely check out this route. My personal opinion though is to treat the IBS with the drugs and not necessairly the depression, especially if it as you say because of the IBS. That way hopefully you're going to the root of the problem - IBS can be a very difficult condition to live with and that's not easy to deal with emotionally.All of this is of course my opinions and experience. I really wish you and your daughter all the best. nancy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I suffer from IBS and headaches. The IBS started voer 20 years ago when I was in my teens. The tension headaches not until mid-20s. Migraines in mid-30s (Oh - I never noticed that pattern before!!). The migraines though are more related to low blood sugar than stress - I only get them when I haven't eaten, usually late afternoon or early evening.anyway, I did go on a two week course of anti-depressants to break the cycle of tension headaches. This was about 7 years ago now. Before that I would get tehm almost daily and they were really bad. Even on good days, I almost always had a low grade one. The two weeks did it - it was elavil, a rather mild anti-depressant I think. I still get headaches but nothing like that. I no longer need Fiorcet to deal with either, execedrin at the worst.I also beleive my IBS is stress triggered. I've been using the hypno tapes to help with that and so far so good. I've avoided the medication route because of worrying about side effects and my personal aversion to being on anything as a daily medication. On the other hand, if this is what will work for your duaghter and will make her life better, then you should definitely check out this route. My personal opinion though is to treat the IBS with the drugs and not necessairly the depression, especially if it as you say because of the IBS. That way hopefully you're going to the root of the problem - IBS can be a very difficult condition to live with and that's not easy to deal with emotionally.All of this is of course my opinions and experience. I really wish you and your daughter all the best. nancy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts