Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new member. Just wanted to know if anyone else gets really bad headaches from C? I actually get a really bad headache and then as soon as I evacuate, the headache is gone instantly. It's so strange. Does this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Nope, haven't had headaches due to my C. Sorry you have to go through that. Have you started the Zelnorm yet? Just curious if that will help with your headaches.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dear Nicole: There certainly is a constipation-headache connection with me. If I'm tied up for more than a few days, I'll usually get a wicked headache.Very common with me. I discovered after needing to take a laxative and later a warm water enema that I got some relief from a wicked headache that had lingered for days. It doesn't always help, but enough for me to know there's a connection.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
When I am Constapted or if I overeat, I will get a migraine. Once I get the headache I get really sick and my bowels start to evucate, and I throw up until I get the dry heaves. Once the headache starts it does not go away but I feel a little better once I empty myself out. NOW, I try not to go ove a day with out a movement, plus I am taking Primal Defense, a probiotic, that I "believe" is helping to lessen the headaches some.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yes, I do. As a matter of fact, had one today. I get migraines, just about every other day, not due to C, I just get them. I would rather have a migraine, so I can take my Zomig, and it will be gone after the second pill. I tell this to just about everyone who talks about headaches, and they think I'm crazy, but the Zomig is a miracle pill for my migraines, that is why I'd rather have a migraine then a "regular" "normal" headache...cause them normal/regular headaches are not helped by the Zomig. Actually, nothing helps, until after an hour or so of having a BM from C.Well, guess I answered your question. Sorry I blabbed on like I did.Jadair

·
Registered
559 Posts
I forgot to mention that even before my IBS, I mean all my life, when I was C, I would get a headache.For the other member that gets migraines, ask your Doctor for samples of Zomig. It's quite expensive, and my insurance only covers 9 pills, that's 4 and a half headaches a month. (come on) Thank God for free samples. The come in two strengths, I take the higher one. They also come in the ones you swallow, and also ones that melt in your mouth.jd

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Just because you have C and get a headache doesn't mean there is a connection between them. You are posting this to the BB where everyone has constipation. So no one who has headaches and who does not have C has an opportunity to respond.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just suvived a 15 hour headaches yesterday and have a scheduled apt for the Gastroligist tomorrow. I found it quite interesting to find this on headaches. I get terrible headaches when I need to go B.M. also. I made the apt to talk about the conection betwen the two along with all my other problems. I have cronic constipation along with the famous bloating YUK! My News Year resolution is to take care of myself this year... I also take zomig...love it!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, I get a headache sometimes when I am constipated. It happened more before I found out that heavy-duty fiber wasn't good for my IBS. But, I will get one if I have that "trapped gas" feeling, as well, and if I take my anti-spasmodic and get rid of the gas, the headache will get better or go away immediately. I think in my case the toxins that are re-absorbed by my system when C causes the headache. It is a dull headache, not a migraine -- never had those. I don't get headaches very often so I am able to make the connection between the headache and the C.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Zomig and Julia Rose, please let me know if you find anything that helps you. I ad an awful headache yesterday that was finally relieved with a few enemas. Also, I don't know what Zomig is? What does it do? I am on Zelnorm, which was helping at first, but I am now starting to feel bad again. I think my headaches are due to toxicity and also that the stool might be pressing on a pressure point that causes a headache. My headaches are always over my right eye, sometimes my left. Where are your headaches?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nicole.. Terrible headaches or migrains run in my family. I found out over Christmas that not only does my mother suffer from them (which I knew) But my grandmother and great grandmother also suffered from them. I have been trying to figure out what brings them on since the headaches have just started with me in the last couple months. My grandmother told me that her heacheachs stopped after the change of life. It made me start thinking that maybe mine are hormonal also. Hormones can play a huge part in constipation which then makes me believe that constipation brings some of my headaches on. I figure if i can get my hormone straightened out the headachs, constipation will go away. I know I am on to something because many years ago I had the worst bloating and constipation. Just by switching birth control pills, my symtoms lightened. My headache is also located on the right eye or worst the right temple. (eww I can feel the pain that i get there just talking about it) Anyway. I used to pop advil migrain one after another before my mother told me about zomig. I just take one and about 2 hours later my headache is gone. I know you aren't supose to share medication but this was given to me by my mother who had to move on to stronger medicine for her headaches. So, I have not yet talked to a doctor about other choices. This one is working great for me. My mothers headaches are from stress and she gets them in the back of her head not her right temple. I feel we have headaches for different reasons not heretitary. So my goal is to take care of this constipation problem in hopes to stop the headaches in the process. I'd love to try zelnorm. I am only using magnesium right now. Does anyone else find a conection between hormones and constipation? I know that when Aunt flow (period) is visiting, my bowels are normal. Although right before she comes is when I get my worse headaches.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree, hormones DEFINITELY affect my constipation. IN my case, I a very constipated right before and during my period. The constipation stops about a day after my period ends, and that day I'll usually spend half the day in the bathroom. I get terrible headaches from constipation during my period. I know that they are related to C, not to my period. It gets so bad sometimes that I have to get a colonic irrigation done during that time. Then my headache will go way. Being on the birth control pill has helped a lot, I think mostly because it makes my period shorter. Always n the Wednesday and hursday of my period, I am so sick with a headache that I can't get out of bed. What birth control pill are you on? I am on Yasmin.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nicole, mine tend to be dull headaches and they are pretty rare these days. I got them more when I was on a lot of fiber and I think it was because the toxins in my system tended to stay there longer. I can't take Ibuprofen, Aspirin, or any of that great stuff because NSAIDS give me mouth sores.. Once in a while I will take Tylenol - that's okay for me. When I was on the fiber and having problems, I would get the headaches and they were always relieved when I either took an enema or got some relief the next morning.

·
Banned
492 Posts
FLUX.... you complete total moron. of course there is a connection between the two. in my case i don't get headaches but every single time i am constipated i feel lousy up in my head. i feel spacey, foggy, slurred speech, irritable, etc., etc.it always clears up after i go to the bathroom, and then my apetite returns.how incredibly stupid are you? you don't have the condition so you don't know. or is this tom

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.