Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else suffer from really bad headaches? I take Fiorinal for them and that helps but I was wondering if there is an IBS connection. With me, once my head starts to hurt I can generally count on an IBS episode fairly quickly.

G

·
Yeah, I'm with you michelly as soon as my headaches kick in it's like I just ate a box of meat lovers pizza from Pizz Hut.

G

·
Yeah, I'm with you michelly as soon as my headaches kick in it's like I just ate a box of meat lovers pizza from Pizz Hut.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave-do you take anything for your headaches? Do you know what causes them? And I know what you mean about Pizza Hut. Why is it all the foods I love and actually WANT to eat do the most damage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave-do you take anything for your headaches? Do you know what causes them? And I know what you mean about Pizza Hut. Why is it all the foods I love and actually WANT to eat do the most damage.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a lot of headaches also but they don't usually cause the big "D". I also take the generic form of Fiorinal. I have had this prescription for so long I don't remember how many years. I wake up with the headache and up to until about 6 months ago I could manage with only one tablet. Now it takes two to get me going. I guess my system has finally gotten so used to it that it takes the two now instead of the one. I also have headaches in the afternoon but I usually take Tylenol then. I was given the Fiorinal when I had migranes and couldn't keep anything else down in the mornings. I know I have too many headaches but I've never thought about connecting it to the IBS. Interesing thought. I'll ask my doctor about this. Thanks.
Oh, I forgot to add, I usually can expect a pretty good headache AFTER a "bout" of the big "D".

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a lot of headaches also but they don't usually cause the big "D". I also take the generic form of Fiorinal. I have had this prescription for so long I don't remember how many years. I wake up with the headache and up to until about 6 months ago I could manage with only one tablet. Now it takes two to get me going. I guess my system has finally gotten so used to it that it takes the two now instead of the one. I also have headaches in the afternoon but I usually take Tylenol then. I was given the Fiorinal when I had migranes and couldn't keep anything else down in the mornings. I know I have too many headaches but I've never thought about connecting it to the IBS. Interesing thought. I'll ask my doctor about this. Thanks.
Oh, I forgot to add, I usually can expect a pretty good headache AFTER a "bout" of the big "D".

G

·
Michelly, as weird as it seems graham crackers seems to soothe the headaches and seem to agree with my stomache.

G

·
Michelly, as weird as it seems graham crackers seems to soothe the headaches and seem to agree with my stomache.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Michelly wrote:<<<<With me, once my head starts to hurt I can generally count on an IBS episode fairly quickly. >>> **********************Its generally the other way around with me. The headaches get worse once an IBS episode in underway.There has been quite a bit of discussion on the headaches and IBS on the Constipation board. I'm inclined to believe that there is a clear cut causal connection rather than some statistical correlation.-Ira

·
Registered
82 Posts
Michelly wrote:<<<<With me, once my head starts to hurt I can generally count on an IBS episode fairly quickly. >>> **********************Its generally the other way around with me. The headaches get worse once an IBS episode in underway.There has been quite a bit of discussion on the headaches and IBS on the Constipation board. I'm inclined to believe that there is a clear cut causal connection rather than some statistical correlation.-Ira

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't know that people with IBS are more prone to headaches than others.I have migraines, I have IBS and they do not seem to track much with each other at all. Although both will come up right after an allergy shot, because histamine has been implicated in migraines and diarrhea...but that is a third thing that triggers both. If one or the other goes off at another time, it does not seem to matter. When I am not on allergy shots I usually do not get migraines or even other headaches at all and the IBS hit during one of those in between times.So it varies.However, pain is a physcial stressor. Stress of any kind (physical, social, emotional, etc) does not help any disorder, disease, pain, etc. The physical stress of the IBS or the physcial stress of the headache could certain be a trigger for the other in some people.The which triggers what may depend on which thing is more triggered by physical stress.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I don't know that people with IBS are more prone to headaches than others.I have migraines, I have IBS and they do not seem to track much with each other at all. Although both will come up right after an allergy shot, because histamine has been implicated in migraines and diarrhea...but that is a third thing that triggers both. If one or the other goes off at another time, it does not seem to matter. When I am not on allergy shots I usually do not get migraines or even other headaches at all and the IBS hit during one of those in between times.So it varies.However, pain is a physcial stressor. Stress of any kind (physical, social, emotional, etc) does not help any disorder, disease, pain, etc. The physical stress of the IBS or the physcial stress of the headache could certain be a trigger for the other in some people.The which triggers what may depend on which thing is more triggered by physical stress.

·
Registered
709 Posts
k...that makes sense...i find that my ibs symptoms are usually at a minimum (relatively) when i have a migraine...so they don't seem connected...and i have found that after a lengthy 'episode' of ibs (lots pain, etc.) that i start to get headachy...as you mentionned....

·
Registered
709 Posts
k...that makes sense...i find that my ibs symptoms are usually at a minimum (relatively) when i have a migraine...so they don't seem connected...and i have found that after a lengthy 'episode' of ibs (lots pain, etc.) that i start to get headachy...as you mentionned....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Tips for headaches (that i know of)Person may need glasses or a new prescription.Neurological problem need to see doctor.Spine is not aligned, resulting in symotoms of headaches, ibs, etc..see a good chiropracter.Too much caffeine or sugar in diet.Deficient is something, take vitamins daily.Allergy to perfumes, scents, or sensitivity to types of lighting such as flourescent.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.