Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! long time no chat!!!ANyway I just wanted to let you know That things are going A LOT better
My meds have been changed and I'm feeling GREAT!!! However, I have a new problem...I have just met this great guy and he's going thru a real difficult time right now. He was just diagnosed with alcoholism and depression. I have searched all over the net and can't find anything on health insurance. He's able to work but his employer doesn't offer any insurance plans nor is he eligible for Medicaid in New York State due to income eligibility guidelines. But for him to get any insurance thru an HMO he would need to pay premiums for a year before the coverage will kick in. Does anyone have any info that might help? We're lost on this one. He is really trying to help himself and get his act together but because of extenuating circumstance he's having a real rough time. I don't know what else to do. We're real good friends and I told him I would help any way I can. All of you have been a great inspiration and help for me and have pulled me thru some real rough times. Now it is my turn to help someone else and I can't do it alone. I would appreciate any info you can give me thanks so much and God Bless!

G

·
I don't know how it is in NY, but most states have a health insurance plan for unisurable people. With his depression and alcoholism, I'm sure if he hasn't already, he would probably be declined individual insurance. In Colorado, a person has to have 2 companies decline their applications for insurance and then they are eligible for the uninsurable plan, or 2 companies that would cover everything else, but his depression and alcoholism. The premiums are higher than normal plans, but at least they will cover everything. He should check with his state insurance commissioner or his regular insurance agent. They should be able to let him know if such a plan exists.------------------Chris from Colorful Colorado!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well NYS medicaid is better then most private insurances Can you put him on with you on your insurance?? HMO's taken out privately are very pricy and pretty much useless. ------------------��-whereever you go there you are

G

·
Last I heard Insurance companys can't make you wait. Since the FLMA started in 1993 and since last year Congress passed that no Insurance company can have pre existing clauses in them. Good Health to you Both.

G

·
Scotty isn't completely correct, unfortunately. The pre existing coverage clause only applies to group insurance coverage. Individual health insurance plans can still either not cover pre existing problems or can refuse to issue a policy all together. It is too bad more employers don't offer health insurance. I think they are worried employees are going to expect them to pay the premiums, but if they will just get group insurance, I'm sure there are quite a few people that would be willing to pay for it themselves, just to get covered.I hope you are able to get some help for your friend.------------------Chris from Colorful Colorado!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.