Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,since a bit over a week, i have (for me) a quite abnormal gas development.It started after a weekend in the mountains where I ate some processed food out of the can. First I thought it was just from that lousy food, but now it keeps bloating me every day.More history: I'm a healthy male, I always watch what I eat, I eat pretty balanced, mostly organic if I can, drink water, coffee and some beer alcohol. I am physically active. I never had a digestive problem. I don't have any other know illnesses. I do not take any medication.I develop the gas mainly after eating - whatever I eat, but it keeps bloating all day long. I did not change my diet recently nor any other habits and I don't have abnormal stress going on.Nothing out of the ordinary with my stool. No pain.One thing: about 3 weeks ago I had a little surgery and had some antibiotics prescribed. Tablets lasted for 2 days. No negative effect after that for about 2 weeks.Since it started I tried plenty of green tea and plenty of ginger tea as well as fennel seeds. No relieve whatsoever. Since 5 days I take "CharcoCaps". Two of them every 2 hours as directed. That reduces the gas quite a bit, as well as the initial nasty sulfuric smell.I read around on the forum a bit but I'm not quiet sure what to do next.Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Antibiotics can upset the colon flora and it can take a couple of weeks to recolonize and you may have gassier bacteria (and a switch to smellier bacteria--all tend to be normal residents of the colon, just different proportions in different people).You might try a good probiotic to put in some less gas causing bacteria. You might limit starches to reduce the amount of bacteria food you eat and you can try pepto bismol if it doesn't constipate you too much as it will also absorb the sulfurous gases.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kathleen,so it can be that after 2 weeks of breaking off the antibiotics the effect on the colon flora kicks in?I forgot to mention, since years I'm consuming "bio salud" at cheap "yakult" version I would say. Which probiotic product would you recommend in my case?I'm gonna start trying "pepto bismol" tomorrow.Thanks again,Andreas

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Usually brands people seem to have good luck with (not all of them but here is a good list)VSL#3 (most expensive, but most bacteria per dose)Digestive AdvantageAlignCulturelleJarrodophilusGNC Potent AcidophilusVitamin Shoppe Ultimate 10 Probiotic.It can take a couple of weeks once you clean out for the new balance to get fully established, it isn't instantaneous.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mate, it's stress, i've got a whole thread full of information that will solve your problem, it is already solving mine...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts