Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what I call my "mini" heart attacks. My heartbeat becomes really irregular and it feels like someone is way out of rythm drumming on the inside of My chest. And it becomes slightly hard to breath. The doctor who first Diagnosed me told me that this was a symptom. Does anyone else suffer from this? Any tips? also, I always feel very cold and achy during an attack of IBS.[This message has been edited by nijona (edited 04-15-99).]

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had this happen (heart things)twice to me, but my mom says it is anxiety attacks that make you think your having heart problems. It is normal to have these with IBS, my sister has IBS and often goes the hospital thinking she is having a heart attack, eventhough she is only 23. I do get cold and clammy during a attack, it's a sick feeling.Are you new nijona? never seen you here before? Welcome if you are, you'll like it here! 8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if this is another case of possible Mitral Valve Prolapse? I have quite a few friends suffering from IBS who have also been diagnosed with MVP. It's easy to detect with an echocardiogram (very non-invasive, in fact one of the most relaxing tests I've ever had done). Would ask your doctor to check it out just to be on the safe side.Stay well and don't let it throw you in a panic -- Christine

·
Registered
71 Posts
II've had these for years and when I asked one doctor about it a long time ago, he only said it was probably caused by all the coffee I drink and that was it. That was about 20 years ago and I still get them occasionally and I still drink coffee. Mine only last a few seconds though and it is mildly uncomfortable....feels like my heart is making its way out! If yours are stronger or longer perhaps you should see a doctor? Stress can also trigger these and I'm sure IBS (which is also sometimes triggered by stress) qualifies as stress in and of itself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nijona, I had the same experience last week and posted under "Tachycardia related to IBS?". It was VERY scary and the way you described your experience was exactly what I experienced too. I haven't had it since and my MD said I had a normal ECG and that this happens to everyone once in a while. He wasn't concerned, so I'm trying not to be too but it's difficult because I keep thinking "Oh, gosh, what if it happens again". There were alot of good suggestions from the tachycardia posting if you want to check it out. After I had the "attack", I felt kind of stressed/anxious for the next couple days...do you feel that way too?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jazzr,your last statement is so true, ibs is stress diseasified. But it has been 7 months since I had a cup of coffee, and I stay away from caffiene if it's not in chocolate. Do your heart "palpy's"(as I affectionately call them) make it hard for you to breath? And does any one else get lightheaded, see darkly, or see little pinpoints of light in your field of vision when sitting down or getting up?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nijona, I sometimes get lightheaded when I stand up but it is usually when I am over-hungry or over-tired. I am prone to developing orthostatic hypotension (where your blood pressure drops when you stand up instead of rises and you feel lightheaded) especially when I have a bad cold. I haven't experienced the pinpoints of lights...yet!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts