Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One more question and I will leave you guys alone today. I have had very bad heartburn and currently take nexium. My doctor said that heartburn is related to IBS D, is this true? I dont even have to eat anything and get heartburn. It sucks. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
I guess the best answer is ... "it depends" and.... "sometimes". But one can have both conditions independently of each other & simultaneously.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
It certainly was the case with me. From what I can figure out, they were both low level inflammatory responses from smoking, high fat diet, etc. The relationship was further underlined through the success I had in supplementing away both conditions. The flavonoids stopped the indigestion/reflux in about 6 weeks and the D over the course of a year. While I have eliminated smoking, I have been able to resume a normal diet over the years since treating this.Mark

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There certainly are a lot of people with one but not the other.However if you have two conditions, even if separate, the stress of one tends to set the other off.There do seem to be a fair number of people who have both so having one may also mean you are more prone to the other.Heartburn type problems often get worse if you don't eat rather than just be triggered if you do. When I have it eating is one thing I can do to calm the symptoms if I don't have an antacid handy.

·
Registered
311 Posts
most the time, from what i've been able to find out, is not caused by too much stomach acid (hydrochloric acid-HCl), it's too much gastrin........gastrin is so very caustic & can cause so much misery..........when too much gastrin is over produced, it's usually caused by not enough HCl being produced.......the body tries to compensate by over producing gastrin & or histamine.........gastrin & histamine r secreted 1st in order to get the stomach to produce HCl..........when HCl increases, the gastrin & histamine slow down or stop.......increase the stomach acid..........betaine hydrochloride might help......try it & if not, then u need the actual thing..........that's what i take.........my stomach couldn't produce enough HCl & i was miserable for yrs.......it was so awful........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts