Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the Products/Services thread also, but I wanted to try here because I know this thread gets more traffic...Has anyone tried and had any luck with Heather's products? (from ...com) I just got a shipment of her peppermint capsules and soluble fiber acadia powder.The can of fiber said to try 1/2 teaspoon twice a day, as a beginner dose. But after my first dose last night, I was in a lot of pain this morning with bloating and gas. When I tried to go to the bathroom I just crapped out a lot of mucus (More than I've ever seen! It filled the whole bottom of the bowl) and when I finally was able to have a BM it was just a little bit of diarrhea.I took my second dose this morning and I am just feeling bloated and uncomfortable. (More than usual, anyway, lol) Did anyone else have a similar experience? I am just wondering if it's my body's natural reaction at getting used to it, or if the beginner dosage is too much for my tiny body. (I am a petite 5'2, 105lbs)I would appreciate any feedback from others who have tried her products! Thanks!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have been taking Acacia fiber now for nearly 2 years - have also had the peppermint capsules but they did not appear to help. However, I understand that recently the coating on the peppermint tablets has been made stronger so that the pills get through the stomach and into the intestines before they disolve.You would get better help regarding this question on the .. web site.I think the fiber can cause gas and bloating to start with - I didn't notice but then after living with this debilitating condition for over 30 years I probably was unaware.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fiber can cause pain and bloating in the beginning...I couldn't tolerate the peppermint capsules because I got terrible heartburn and reflux from them, not to mention burning when they came out the other end
. I do well on fiber, though, (Fibercon) as I just couldn't bring myself to drink th acacia fiber (too "mucousy"!)

·
Registered
332 Posts
i haven't used Heather's products specifically but i've found peppermint doesn't help and fybogel makes me worse, not with bloating, just makes me more ill. and that's allowing time to adjust. but i'm an awkward case :-D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm doing a little better on the fiber, now. I take 1/4 teaspoon in the morning and once I know I have that down, I will try increasing it a bit. I think my main problem was taking it before bedtime. It just messed me up too much in the morning.But overall it's working out great. Even within the first few days, when I was still having problems going to the bathroom in the morning... It seemed to make the rest of the day more tolerable. This weekend being a holiday weekend, I ate plenty of stuff I shouldn't have (I even indulged in a beer at one point, which is one of my worst triggers) and didn't have any pain afterwards, which amazed me!*Edited to add: I forgot to mention before, but the peppermint capsules do give me acid reflux, especially if taken on an empty stomach. I didn't notice this as much with the Nature's Way brand!

G

·
I just started with Heather's fiber yesterday. The Acacia powder. It hasn't helped yet. But I'm sure it's too soon. I took 1/2 tsp twice yesterday, and 1/2 tsp today. I'm still in pain (as usual) stomach cramps, back and leg pain too. I have both D an C , which alternate from day to day. I guess I'll try it for a while. Metamucil sometimes helped for a couple days, and then did nothing or I got C. Sometimes, I think it will never go away, but sometimes it does for a week or so. But then it comes back for several weeks. I can't even go out because I'm in pain most of time. I've had two colonscopies, and nothing showed up the first time, and a small polyp the 2nd time which was removed. I'll have another test next year. I also have GERD, and use prilosc for that which stopped it pretty quick. I've been taking it for years twice a day. The Acacia powder I have is not mucousy at all. It completely disolved in water. No taste, no nothing. I mixed 1/2 tsp with a little water, then added more, nearly a glass. It doesn't have directions on how much water to take with it. I've never used fibercon. According to Heather, you aren't supposed to take anything that has in -solubable fiber in it, such as metamucil. I'll check in again to see how anyone else is doing with this Acacia powder.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've had problems with Heather's fiber. I gave it a fair shot....I took for 2 weeks to try to adjust to it, but it somehow made my IBS worse. I threw it out and started taking Metamucil capsules and they have worked really well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.