Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've suffered from IBS since I was 19, I'm not 35 just to give an indication of how long I've been dealing with it. My dietician has only recently put me on the FODMAPs diet and although I manage at home I have had to eat out a lot for work this week and am struggling. Avoiding onion and garlic is the hardest part so i usually end up eating a burger (without bun), plain salad and chips. However, something in this mix must be still affecting me I've had an episode every day after. Luckily it is usually just the once but still. Someone said that the coating on chips is often wheat flour. Is this true?

I've been trying to follow it the last 2 and a half weeks but I'm still having attacks. Not as severe but I guess they will go once I work out what all the triggers are. Any tips would be great. Particularly with recipes.

Thanks you all in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I have a similar problem to you whenever I eat out. I find that most restaurants will use frozen chips rather than making them from scratch themselves (saves lots of time you see). Most frozen chips are partially cooked, so that they are still raw on the inside but appear golden on the outside and some are coated in wheat flour. These are a major trigger for me along with burgers. They both have a high fat content which isn't easily absorbed by the bowel. And bear in mind a lot of burgers will have onion mixed through the meat. Bearing all that in mind, when I eat out I tend to go for things that have to be cooked fresh rather than meals that can be provided to the restaurant as frozen and then just reheated. I do find though that these options tend to be more expensive, however it's worth the extra expense to know that I won't be faced with an attack the next day.

You will find though that most places will be able to tell you if they have a gluten or wheat free alternative, Frankie & Bennys is one place that sticks out in my memory that have chips that are coated in something other than wheat flour (a friend of mine is celiac and can have the chips there because of this).

Anyway hope this helps.

Ruth

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ruth,

Thank you, it really does. I thought I was quite clued up but it's still a steep learning curve.

Silver

1 - 3 of 3 Posts