Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can IBS develop suddenly? I recently just got up cramping terrible and thought I needed to go to bathroom but it was just "cramping". Went to the doctor and he immediately made arrangements for a colonoscopy which showed everything to be normal...however my "cramping" continues to come in cycles and usually wakes me up around 4:00 am. I am taking an anti-spasm drug called Dyclomine which helps only a little. The pain just about drives you crazy sometimes. I have NEVER had problems that were "bowel-related" before and was just wondering if it does occur this suddenly. It has been several weeks ... some days being better than others. What are the foods to avoid the most? Waiting for your replies.

·
Registered
428 Posts
ncottle,WELCOME TO THE GROUP!!!!!I think IBS comes on different for different people.I always had a "nervous" stomach. Then in 1996 it became sort of cronic for 3 monthes. That is when I was diagnosed with IBS.Other people feel their IBS started after a bout of AntiBiotics.KARL

·
Registered
428 Posts
ncottle,WELCOME TO THE GROUP!!!!!I think IBS comes on different for different people.I always had a "nervous" stomach. Then in 1996 it became sort of cronic for 3 monthes. That is when I was diagnosed with IBS.Other people feel their IBS started after a bout of AntiBiotics.KARL

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS can develop quite suddenly.Often the trigger for that is food poisoning or a GI bug of some sort and the bowels (really the nerves that control the bowel) either do not heal or heal very slowly from that so there are symptoms that last much longer than the precipitating event. (that is the bug is gone in short order but they symptoms hang on).K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
IBS can develop quite suddenly.Often the trigger for that is food poisoning or a GI bug of some sort and the bowels (really the nerves that control the bowel) either do not heal or heal very slowly from that so there are symptoms that last much longer than the precipitating event. (that is the bug is gone in short order but they symptoms hang on).K.

G

·
HelloI'm new here too
, i've had IBS for about seven years now and it developed after a case of food poisioning. Unfortunately it persists now due to anxiety, but you may find that perhaps you're stress has increased recently and that can cause the symptons to appear suddenly.Take care

G

·
HelloI'm new here too
, i've had IBS for about seven years now and it developed after a case of food poisioning. Unfortunately it persists now due to anxiety, but you may find that perhaps you're stress has increased recently and that can cause the symptons to appear suddenly.Take care

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yup, it started with food poisoning in me as well. Have had IBS ever since. This isn't really related, but years ago I had a problem with an itchy rectum
that seemed cyclical. Turned out I had pin worms. The NP who saw me said that when things are cyclical like that (I started itching every day at almost Exactly 4:15pm!) they will suspect a parasite or worm. I don't know if that holds true for gastrointestinal symptoms as well, but maybe you picked up a parasite of some kind, so the IBS seemed to come out of nowhere. Just a thought, anyway.BTW, welcome to the BB!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yup, it started with food poisoning in me as well. Have had IBS ever since. This isn't really related, but years ago I had a problem with an itchy rectum
that seemed cyclical. Turned out I had pin worms. The NP who saw me said that when things are cyclical like that (I started itching every day at almost Exactly 4:15pm!) they will suspect a parasite or worm. I don't know if that holds true for gastrointestinal symptoms as well, but maybe you picked up a parasite of some kind, so the IBS seemed to come out of nowhere. Just a thought, anyway.BTW, welcome to the BB!

·
Registered
450 Posts
mine was after antibiotics, food poisoning and a miscarriage. (Side note: when I first started working in the corporate world - there was this guy we called Steve "I can top that one" Jones. He always had a better and more extreme story to tell. As I typed my'starters' of IBS I laughed and said Sally "I can top that one" Hackett.)Welcome to the board. I encourage you to read thru old posts and get info that way - this will arm you with lots of good thoughts and questions! We are all here to help!

·
Registered
450 Posts
mine was after antibiotics, food poisoning and a miscarriage. (Side note: when I first started working in the corporate world - there was this guy we called Steve "I can top that one" Jones. He always had a better and more extreme story to tell. As I typed my'starters' of IBS I laughed and said Sally "I can top that one" Hackett.)Welcome to the board. I encourage you to read thru old posts and get info that way - this will arm you with lots of good thoughts and questions! We are all here to help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.