Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new to the forum, but not new to IBS. I have suffered with IBS, mostly constipation dominant, for 35 years. I go through brief periods of what some might call remission. In 2006, severe IBS cost me my job because I was missing so much work. I would have painful bowel movements that would keep me doubled up with pain for hours. I have had fainting spells during painful bowel movements that would make me weak for hours. I recently went through a long period (6 months) where I was on a regimen of laxatives and prune juice which helped but my bowels were never normal. I then started having diarrhea and nothing I took stopped it. I have had to start wearing protective under garments because I was having bowel movements during the night and I did not wake up. I decided to lay off of the laxatives and prune juice and within one week I was constipated again. I was having spasms and pain which required me to take my medication prescribed for pain and spasms. This syndrome never goes away. I have been to the hospital ER several times for fecal impaction and the thought of when this might happen again, scares me to death. I am hoping to find others who go through the same thing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Crazyhorses.Your symptoms sound like so many others bothered by IBS; whether it be IBS-D or IBS-C. I have IBS-A. I get constipated one week, take something and then I have D. I did find EqualActin which puts more water in your colon if you are constipated or takes some out when you have D. Things are never the same from day to day. One day you can eat something and it won't bother you. Feeling confident you eat it again and you are in agony. I try to tell myself I am not stressed and don't feel anxious but my body deceives me and I get the pain, bloating, terrible gas, etc. It is the nature of the beast we all call IBS.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Crazyhorses and NancyI also had IBS-c for some time. Mostly painful spasm. I have tried a number of meds and laxatives but never with much success. It seems that the IBS adapts to the the treatment and just comes back. It is sort of like that saying I have quit smoking a millions times, well I have beat my IBS a million times! You need to rule out Celiac, Lactose intolerance infection, and IBD. It does seem that there has been recorded success with Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Hypnosis. It is not to say it is all in our head, obviously that is not the case, the pain and dysfunction is real. Not to get to personal but how do you deal with stress and emotions? Do you hold in some emotions? How would you describe your normal mood? I think that some people with IBS-C subconsciously repress their emotions and feelings and at the same time this might affect their bowel motility. While other people with the IBS-D fear losing control of their bowels and that anxiety can lead to more loss of control which leads to more fear of loss. Kind of a vicious cycle with that one. Cycles can be broken.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't think that IBS "adapts" to medication. Some people find just the right thing and are fine. Maybe you don't find them on these forums as they have no need for them. However, if your IBS is actually caused by psychological stress and you don't deal with it, then medication won't be much use. Maybe it's a placebo effect in the short term. However, IBS being how it is, will force you to confront the issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree it is likely that a lot of cures are placebo effect just reinforcing what everyone already knows that there is a psychological aspect to the IBS. (Many of the medications such as laxatives are only effective short term and your body does adapt to them) A person with this needs to eliminate the various possible illnesses which present similiar symptoms to ibs such as Celiac, Lactose Intolerance. They can change diet, they can add fiber, they can try probiotics, they can take all the medications, pain killers, yoga, chiropractic, biofeedback whatever but at the end of the day the gastrointestinal doctors office is filled with patients that have not gone off and found their cure. The simple fact remains that the symptoms and condition that Crazyhorse describes may well respond to diet changes, excercise regimen and some sort of psychological treatment such as CBT or hypnosis etc. What are your suggestions Jillywindy for crazyhorses?

·
Registered
99 Posts
There is also a lot of people who have found their cure, thank God. Look back a few years on this site and you will find people with seemly intractable IBS who have finally responded to something and now never visit this site. I remember reading a lot of posts from "Eternal Pain" who had a heartbreaking story of suffering for years and years. However, I think she found something that worked, is now ok and doing well. I have never suffered from constant D or C the way others on this forum have so I can't say "this cured me". I have the sort of bowel movements that anyone who suffers from D or C dreams about. I have recommended whole unpeeled kiwifruit to people with C or A from antidotes related to me rather than personal experience. I have one each morning and it certainly has no negative effect on me.My greatest symptom has been pain so I concentrated on calming the nerves down both with low dose anti-depressants, herbal remedies, a low stimulus diet and hypnotherapy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are some people who do have emotional problems and that can lead to IBS-D. I am living proof that IBS-A is a real medical problem. The painful bowel movements with has lead to fainting while sitting on the toilet and the the times when I had fecal impaction and needed emergency medical treatment and the only way to treat the impaction was to have a doctor manually remove the hard feces. I have had every test to rule out other disorders and I do have gastroparesis and lactose intolerance. I have anxiety issues but I receive treatment for it. There currently is no cure for IBS, just medications to make the disorder livable. Personally, I do not feel that behavior therapy or hypnosis serves any real purpose except for wasting your money and time.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well I was in a clinical trial for CBT at a major clinic focused specifically on functional GI problems and even though my IBS is medical/physical not emotional I did really well (about 70% of the people in my clinical trial did well, and those with emotional problems usually did worse than those with normal mental health).I do think that out in the real world it you do need to check to make sure the hypnotherapist or CBT person really has has training in doing it specifically for IBS. A lot of people think they can do it without the training, but I think if you are doing it for a specific health problem you need training in that specific health problem. I don't think it is wise to assume the general training will cover all things.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi CrazyHorsesDo not get me wrong I have no doubt that IBS is a real functional disease. It is not just in your head. It does not mean that you have some psychological/emotional dysfunction. I do believe it is a mind-body disease and that is what makes it so difficult to treat. You can throw the laxatives at it but that will not really treat the disease especially if you have ibs-a. Our GI may have some dysfunction but Something that we are doing mentally, maybe even subconsciously is affecting the motility of our bowels. I think that it is like a cycle. We feel some tightening or constriction in our bowel and we mentally(subconsciously) do something that causes our bowel motility to slow down which increases the sensation which causes us to further decrease the motility. I know what you are saying, I cannot reduce my motility of my bowel. Well, we all learned how to control our bowels movements when we were first potty trained and there is no question that our mental state and even mood can affect our bowel motility that is just basic physiology. It is subconscious. You do not even know that you are doing it. It does not mean that we have some major psychological dysfunction. Laxatives are addictive so you would need to wean yourself from them over time. Do you have a healthy diet? Do you have normal sleep? I suspect that after 35 years of IBS you have tried a lot of things. I think that my main point is to treat both the mind and the body. Perhaps those such as jillywindy have found something for them with the whole kiwi fruit along with a dose of anti depressants and hypnotherapy that just work for them. No doubt each of us needs to find that right treatment and then of course believe that is the right treatment.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Having other conditions in addition to IBS really makes treating it more difficult. Everyone has to find what is best for them; but - what works for them may not work for you and vice versa. But that is no reason to invalidate what you have not tried. CBT and hypnotherapy has had very high success rates and many clinical research studies to back it up. This BB has had feedback re hypnotherapy since 1998 - if no one was helped, we would certainly hear about it - and we DO hear about it when folks are not helped - but we also hear about those who are helped, which is far and away the majority. So keep an open mind, even if you dont believe in something personally, that's fine, but that is your opinion, not fact.Sorry you are suffering so - I do hope you find your way that is the best for helping you to feel better.
All the best to you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Before I had my gall bladder out, I knew what I ate was a factor. Now that is out, the IBS is more frequent and I still eat lower fat items just because I have grown used to eating this way since my first GB attack in 1985. However, I know my nerves when they are jangled leads me right to the toilet. If the phone rings and its one of my kids and I hear my husband say, "Gee, how did that happen?" or, "Come on, you are kidding?" I don't even have to hear the rest of the conversation and I am in the john with spasms and D. I can go days with perfectly normal bowell movements, then whamo, for no reason it seems, I have D. Go figure.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
I don't even have to hear the rest of the conversation and I am in the john with spasms and D. I can go days with perfectly normal bowell movements, then whamo, for no reason it seems, I have D. Go figure.
That was me too - the mind-body connection is very strong with IBS - hypnotherapy does help to break that connection. I remember a few years back when I had done the program three times, I was running errands and HAD to get to the store and be home before the kids got home from school - as I pulled into the parking lot, the D feeling and cramps and pain began - and I thought - sort of indirectly - "I dont want this now, I dont need this now" - sort of like an automatic thoughts - and the pain and cramping went away - like in less than a minute. So I sat there in the parking lot thinking, should I do in, should I hurry home - but I felt OK, so I went in and did my errands, got home, and hours later, having had no more pain or urges, I remembered that I was OK the rest of the day/night! I had forgotten all about it - this improved over time, but I did break that connection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.