Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HiI'm new here and am hoping to learn some new ways of coping with IBS. I was diagnosed about a year ago after suddenly going through a six week period of non-stop 'upset tummy.' I was going to the toilet around 10 times a day and I have no idea what triggered it but it was very draining and frustrating. I went to my doctor, who diagnosed IBS and sent me for a blood test, which revealed abnormal kidney function. I had bloods taken again a few weeks later and these were normal so no more was said about my kidneys. I discovered what my trigger was and cut it out of my diet (green lettuce such as Cos or Iceberg). Everything settled and it seemed that I only got different bowel activities during my period, which I could cope with. However over the past 5 weeks my symptoms seem to have returned only this time I have constant rumblings in my torso, which are quite loud sometimes. I'm going to the toilet again at least twice before breakfast, which is leaving me tired and drained of energy until lunchtime when I feel very hungry but as soon as I eat I feel nauseous. I'm also thirsty. I have cut eggs and milk out of my diet and have also lowered my cheese intake in the hope that this may help but it seems that nothing is making a difference this time. I know to avoid spice and alot of tomatoe (all the usual triggers I guess) but it makes choosing what to eat difficult.I was prescribed Spasmonal the first time round and have renewed my prescription. I take it once a day when my tummy is bad and it seems to do the trick, however I recently changed to peppermint oil capsules as an alternative (although haven't seen a difference with these).Can anyone give me any hints or suggestions as to what to do or eat in order to help my situation? Thes past few days I've been taking Immodium again just to feel safe to get on with the day, especially at work, but I'm a terrible tablet taker and I don't want to become reliant on this.Thank youx

·
Registered
12 Posts
HiI'm new here and am hoping to learn some new ways of coping with IBS. I was diagnosed about a year ago after suddenly going through a six week period of non-stop 'upset tummy.' I was going to the toilet around 10 times a day and I have no idea what triggered it but it was very draining and frustrating. I went to my doctor, who diagnosed IBS and sent me for a blood test, which revealed abnormal kidney function. I had bloods taken again a few weeks later and these were normal so no more was said about my kidneys. I discovered what my trigger was and cut it out of my diet (green lettuce such as Cos or Iceberg). Everything settled and it seemed that I only got different bowel activities during my period, which I could cope with. However over the past 5 weeks my symptoms seem to have returned only this time I have constant rumblings in my torso, which are quite loud sometimes. I'm going to the toilet again at least twice before breakfast, which is leaving me tired and drained of energy until lunchtime when I feel very hungry but as soon as I eat I feel nauseous. I'm also thirsty. I have cut eggs and milk out of my diet and have also lowered my cheese intake in the hope that this may help but it seems that nothing is making a difference this time. I know to avoid spice and alot of tomatoe (all the usual triggers I guess) but it makes choosing what to eat difficult.I was prescribed Spasmonal the first time round and have renewed my prescription. I take it once a day when my tummy is bad and it seems to do the trick, however I recently changed to peppermint oil capsules as an alternative (although haven't seen a difference with these).Can anyone give me any hints or suggestions as to what to do or eat in order to help my situation? Thes past few days I've been taking Immodium again just to feel safe to get on with the day, especially at work, but I'm a terrible tablet taker and I don't want to become reliant on this.Thank youx
JELLYBEAN---Hello! I can only tell you some things that work for me or for people I have spoken to. First off---did you know that Immodium also comes in a liquid form? Not sure how it tastes but if it works and you have a problem with tablets you might want to consider it. Sam's Club has it I think but most drug places should have it. For some people fiber is helpful---for some it is the devil. Sadly you will only know which way this will work for you if you try it. For me sometimes plain boiled white rice with (don't laugh!) some sugar on it is very helpful---old timey "cure" for this. But you can't live on rice! (I made the mistake of saying this to my MD who happens to be ASian---um----Well surely most people Asian or not eat something WITH their rice---)I was given a "Pro-Biotic" (Acheiva or something of the sort) and that helped--for awhile. Then it seemed to "peter out". But might be helpful for others. I have not tried the Activia yogurt as I am diabetic and the only kind we can get around here has sugar---I know there is a sugar-free version---I even got to try it and it was good!--but no stores stock it. I cannot eat ANY fruit or veggie cooked or un cooked without being "prepared" to spend the day or night in the bathroom. Kinda limits your choices! Yesterday I had half of an apple-- a local fresh yummy apple!--and today I am paying the "price"--ugh. The hardest thing I think is never knowing WHAT is going to "set it off". I know the fruits and veggies may very well do it and so avoid them most times. But sometimes I can eat them and be just fine! And sometimes there is absolutely NO reason (that I can figure anyways) as to WHAT is causing it. Some one here said "The thing is not WHAT we eat so much as the fact that we EAT AT ALL". And not eating at all doesn't seem to help either---there seems always to be something that can find it's way to my digestive system! And sometimes you can start out with a "normal" bathroom experiance and within an hour or less it can turn ugly. I take Immodium---lots of Immod---at almost EVERY meal and ALWAYS when I am eating outside my house---but this only helps---or at least I have times when I do not have a severe problem---when it feels like helping. IF you look thru the topics here you might find some one posting with similar sorts of "reactions" to yours. I would also reccomend a trip to a Gastroenterologist---they are not Miracle Workers but do have meds and tests to make sure you don't have anything causing this that is a bigger issue. I know that sounds bad but many things can cause this that CAN be helped. And then there is the "Mystery Factor" for some of us who have not figured out yet what to do about this.Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

G

·
So many things can cause IBS symptoms, that it is difficult to find a solution for everyone.However, I truly believe that for the proper function of the intestines (and the brain), we MUST have a certain amountof vitamins B6 & B12 in our blood stream. For 19 years I have tried so many different combinations of foods, trying toavoid the "triggers", and not knowing that my digestive system was not able to absorb sufficient amounts of B6 and B12,no matter what I ate.Once I started taking "high" dosages of B6 and B12, my IBS went away (no more diarrhea).I still avoid eating to much tomatoes sauce, white bread (potatoe rolls are OK), greasy and spicy foods, and alcoholic beverages.If you decide to try B6 and B12 (I highly recommend it). You can start with 100 mg of B6 and 500 mcg (micro-grams) of B12.I also recommend daily intake of the normally recommended values of vitamins C, D3, and E.Lack of sufficient HCL acid or Intrinsic Factor, in our stomach, can make it difficult to get any B12 from our diet. Here is some medical data on B12 and B6:B12B6B12 and Crohns

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HiThanks for the reply. I've made an appointment to see mt GP on Friday as the pains in my tummy are pretty bad at the moment and I'm also getting some dull aching around my right kidney area. I hate feeling like this and worry that it's something more than IBS.If the doctor comes up with any useful information I'll be sure to post it here for everyone to see.Thanks xxx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.