Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I've had IBS-D (High-to-severe) For years now, i've been taking immodium for awhile (up to 10-15 gasbloatingdiarrhea chewable or tablets per day) for awhile now, started back in school (you probably know how it is, sometimes the teachers just plain wont let you goto the washroom) So I basically get nervous and take immodium, now I take it for almost everything I do.Its becoming quite costly and I usually only get 1-pack x20 of immodium per week, and up till now my appointments for adult education (finishing high school, im 19) were 1 day a week, so I was fine with immodium once per week.Now I have to go 5 days a week, immodium costs too much plus I dont want that much immodium in my system.I have to go to a school setting for up to 6 hours, 5 days a week, could be 2-6+ months...I'd prefer some suggestions on fixing this, main problems are Diarrhea, Urgency, gas and stomach pain... I would prefer to gradually move off of immodium since it pretty much runs my life now that im dependent on it and have a high tolerance level for it. (note: a doctor said I have anxiety, however I don't take the anxiety pills for personal reasons (no, im not a scientologist, I just believe that it should be something I can get through on my own, and IBS is pretty much the cause of my anxiety)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks but that article isn't really any help, i've already read many similar articles and despite knowing what the problem is, I have no way to fix it psychologically, which is why my question is more of a medical or supplemental.I really need to get my education out of the way and live my life, so IBS is a major roadblock for me right now.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Thanks KadFirst actually"I just believe that it should be something I can get through on my own,"This might not be a good thing to do if its severe. Having anxiety doesn't make a person weak and people with severe anxiety can get help. "I have no way to fix it psychologically"Ah but you do have a way to work on it and learn better ways to cope with it yes?You can learn and do many relaxation techiniqes at home, that counter anxiety and the fight or flight responce totally naturally. Some of these methods are just as powerful as some supplements if not more so and some the same results really as antidepressants.You could also try Hypnotherapy for IBS that can be very effective and is one of the most effective treatments for IBS at the moment. You might want to read thishttp://ibsgroup.org/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f...0261/m/10210344How,what and when you eat can play a large role in this as well. There is no magic pill or quick fix.Not knowing what you have tried or are trying right now other then immodium is hard, because there is a long list of possibly things to try. Nothing works for every IBSers, but somethingsa work for the majority of them.Have you read about calcium on the bb here for one?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that Anxiety can be something you can't deal with on your own, but in my case It isn't severe... I think the main cause is just IBS, thats when I get anxious.and its really the way my mind works, if I think Im going to be somewhere for hours long, ill really think about washrooms and things.Im pretty worried, I missed an appointment today and have one tomorrow, but soon it'll be 5 days a week, non-stop... I need something to help me make it through this.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
So.. If I understand you correctly..
quote:So I basically get nervous and take immodium, now I take it for almost everything I do.
AND
quote:Its becoming quite costly
Perhaps dealing with the nervousness may lessen your symptoms and therefore your need for so much imodium. BUT>>>
quote:(note: a doctor said I have anxiety, however I don't take the anxiety pills for personal reasons (no, im not a scientologist, I just believe that it should be something I can get through on my own, and IBS is pretty much the cause of my anxiety)
Ok I can understand you would want to try alternative treatments before using the "anxiety pills".The article that was posted by Eric mentions these alternative treatments.. perhaps you missed this:(quote from the article)
quote:Ask your doctor if you would be a good candidate for cognitive behavioral therapy, interpersonal therapy, relaxation therapy, or another form of counseling. In several studies, these treatments have been shown to give IBS patients more relief than standard medical therapies. You might even consider hypnosis or self-hypnosis.
The title of your thread here is "Help ASAP Please." And trust me.. we've all been there and know what you are feeling.But I gotta tell ya ... there is no magic quick fix for IBS. Many of us find our symptoms lessen or are more controllable over a period of trial and error and not by any means.. quickly. We find what works for us, as we are all different, over time.Most people with IBS find symptom management through a variety of treatment methods. (ie: Medications & supplements, alternative treatments (like the ones mentioned in the article), dietary/eating habits, exercise, etc.)
quote:I really need to get my education out of the way and live my life, so IBS is a major roadblock for me right now.
I used to think IBS was a major set back and thought it was was "ruining" my life too. But I have learned.. IBS is indeed part of my life. Once I accepted I had it and learned about it (mostly through the good folks here)and tried various treatments methods.. I have looked at it as just somehting I have and it no longer has me. Everybody has something and I got this.. I have also learned.. there are way worse things to have and way worse things in life to cope with than IBS.So I would urge you to read here & learn all you can and ask as many questions as occur to you. Visit the forums that seem to apply to you and your symptoms and jump on in to finding what will work best for your symptoms.I'm glad you found us.. sorry you had to and so very sorry there isn't really a "quick" way to "fix" IBS.Wish you all the very best and Welcome
BQ

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome, it is unfortunate that everyone had to find this place, but its good to have this place, since ibs is real.Im pretty embarrassed about it, I don't tell anyone, I don't eat outside of town, In fear of getting an attack on the way back.Im not looking for a quick fix, which immodium advanced basically has been for the past 2 years... I wouldn't go anywhere without it...Im just looking for something to stabilize my IBS-D, hopefully control the urgency and D so that I can focus on getting on with my life after education... I was thinking of getting Peppermint caplets and Soluble fibre acacia supplements, but I can't find any in drug stores, everywhere I look i just find insoluble fiber for constipation.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think Heather's site has both: ...com That is from memory, could be wrong.I'm tempted to try the peppermint too.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
There is a DIRECT correalation between anxiety, and IBS and the d symptoms.This not just anxiety either but emotions themselves."I think the main cause is just IBS, thats when I get anxious."The vicious cycle of IBS is anxiety-symptoms=anxiety.or
This is a psychophysiological reponce in all humans and has to do in major part by something called the fight or flight reponce, mentioned in that article.This is from an old UNC the chat with the experts."psychophysiological arousal is the core of treating functional gi disorders. There is so much distress, anxiety, antisipatory anxiety, and negative reaction to symptoms, that calming the mind and body often makes a significant difference to symptoms."IBS can contribute also to antisipatory anxiety. The antisipatory anxiety then contribute to the symptoms.The reason for the d, c and d/c most experts believe and there is the most evidence for is an altered release of serotonin from specific cells in the gut that cause the colon to over react.IBS is considered a brain gut axis desregulation problem, both the brain and the gut are operational to cause the symptoms.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
rexhex;Welcome~ I'm sorry for the reason you found us, but glad you did. Eric and BQ are right on the money. They are both very educated about this, and anxiety triggers symptoms of IBS. If you're thinking about where bathrooms would be, if you're not going out because you might have an attack, then my thought, and it's just my thought, is that you have not come to terms with this and accepted that IBS is part of your life, life BQ said. If I have to be on anxiety meds because it's going to help me, I'm on it. If I have to be on antidepressants because it helps, I'm there. If I have to learn relaxation techniques, etc. I'm doing it. It took me awhile, but I decided that I'm taking control; not letting IBS take control of me. That doesn't mean that some days "we" have a real tug of war to see who's gonna win, and some times IBS gets me, but for the most part, I have my life back.Even after you get the education out of the way, the rest of your life will be waiting with new obstacles to overcome and IBS will be there with you. There is very good information on here, and I hope you find some useful things. I always suggest to find a doctor who you can have a good working relationship with. That is KEY! Too many doctors out there without enough knowledge of IBS. Keep us updated on how you're doing and make use of this great site. It certainly has done wonders for me!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
This isn't help for your anxiety at all, but for the cost of Immodium... I found that the Rite Aid versino of Immodium is on mega sale at drugstore.comI've never used the Rite Aid version, but if you have or if you trust/like it, it could be a good time to stock up! Here's a link to a package of 96 caplets for only $4.19...that's your whole month's worth of Immodium right there!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
RexYou do not need a CC. Look at this list of people/stores that carry Heather's products.Scroll down on this page for the list..Perhaps there is one near you.../shop/stores.aspIf there isn't one near you, you can place a "mail order".. For how to...See this page on Heather's site:../shop/phone.aspJust FYI...I have learned there is alot more to stabilizing my D and controlling my urgency than putting a med or supplement in my mouth. It's work.. but worth it.BQ

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
For what it is worth, putting a supplement in my mouth that actually works has made all of the difference. If I don't have to worry about multiple D everyday, I don't have to worry about my IBS. If some urgency develops, I deal with it and it is over. No anti-anxiety meds, no anti-depressants, no doctor's visits, no D! 7 years and counting.
Mark

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
That's great Mark, but I feel I would be remiss if I didn't say that is a rare thing among IBS'ers.BQ

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
That's true; but it is the outcome we all wish for. I do think it is worth pursuing, even as we use the more "approved" approaches. I, too, could still be denying myself a wide ranging diet and stuffing my face with Immodium every day if not for this. Cheers,Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts