Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone who has had this test before able to consume all that fat? My doctor has instructed me to eat 100 grams of fat for 6 days in a row --eat the first 3 days and collect everything that comes out the last 3 days. I've been having a very hard time doing this even with the holiday recently passing - Everything with fat I avoid like the plague, i.e Milk, ice cream, peanut butter, donuts, muffins, etc. Today I decided to go to McDonalds and get the "Fat Menu" to see exactly what I would have to eat to get that much fat- I had a cheeseburger 14gm., a small ff 10gm, a sirloin burger for dinner 10gm? and a Entemanns Cinnemon Role 14gm - well thats 50gm and now I am sick as a dog - burping that horrible odor, constipated semi diarrea that doesn't want to move on its own and the usual gurgling of my intestines - Tomorrow when I get up I will have a gas explosion and then the usual "What the hell is that?" explosion - I am hoping we can test this without putting me through 6 days of hell -- any suggestions???

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I did that test, it was nasty as far as collecting and refrigerating. the fat didn't really bother me though, I think I felt better acually. Maybe you have a gall bladder problem?When its over we can have a good laugh at the technicians expense. it not a tub of ice cream thats for sure. but now i'm sure you are quite misreable. I'm sure the doctor had his reason for ordering that test, it will rule out certain things, help pin-point a diagnosis. You got a menu to help you with what you should eat? whole milk, bacon, butter, yogurt, eggs, ice cream, a real cholestrol bomb.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blair, Thanks for replying -- I plan on calling her today to see if we could do this in 24 hours instead of 72 - It will KILL me to eat all that #### 6 days in a row -- Can't be my gallbladder as that was removed 2 weeks after I had my 2nd child - I was thinking maybe a duct was blocked or something - not allowing the enzymes needed to break fat down - who knows but whatever I have is directly related to fat consumption. Its the same sickness everytime -- hope they figure it out soon. Thanks again for replying

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: I plan on calling her today to see if we could do this in 24 hours
The result is better averaged over three days, so I would say no.

·
Registered
55 Posts
CATHERYNJANEI JUST FINISHED THAT TEST THIS PAST WEEKEND. I HAD TO BOX UP THE CONTAINERS AND SEND THE SPECIMAN BACK TO THE MAYO CLINIC IN MN.HMMM I THOUGHT IT WAS ILLEGAL TO SEND A PACKAGE LIKE THAT IN THE MAIL. TALK ABOUT A CARE PACKAGE. THE MAYO DOC TOLD ME THE REASON FOR THE TEST IS TO SEE HOW MUCH FAT MY INTESTINES ABSORB.MY TEST WAS FOR 3 DAYS THOUGH. EAT 100 GRAMS OF FAT 24 HOURS BEFORE THE TEST AND THEN 100 GRAMS DURING THE 3 DAYS WHILE I COLLECT THE STOOL SAMPLE.I'M NO MD SO MAYBE THEY ARE LOOKING FOR MORE ON YOUR TEST AND THATS WHY IT IS FOR SO LONG.I HAVE A BIG PROBLEM WITH NAUSEA ESPECIALLY AFTER I EAT SO I WASN"T GETTING 100 GRAMS OF FAT PER DAY MORE LIKE 75-80 GRAMS. I WAS TOLD THIS WAS OK AS LONG AS THEY KNEW WHAT MY INTAKE WAS. SO MAYBE ASK YOUR DOC ABOUT THAT AND MAYBE YOU WON'T HAVE TO A BUNCH OF #### THAT IS JUST GOING TO MAKE YOU SICK. NOT THAT I DON'T LOVE BIG MACS BUT I CAN GET SICK JUST THINKING ABOUT MCDONALDS SOMETIMES.THE MAYO CLINIC GAVE A PAMPLET OF THINGS TO EAT WITH THEIR FAT CONTENT STUFF THAT IS A LITTLE BIT EASIER ON THE STOMACH THEN MCDONALDS AND CINNEMON ROLLS.LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT THAT INFO.I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH WITH THIS TEST.YOU DON'T KNOW HOW EXCITED I WAS ON TUESDAY TO POOP IN THE TOILET AGAIN LIKE A HUMAN BEING. YOU'LL KNOW WHAT I MEAN WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED WITH THIS TEST.GOOD LUCK.JMC

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the feedback- Perhaps the foods I chose to accomplish the 100 gm of fat intake weren't the best choice (God I love Cinnemon Rolls)
My doctor did give me a list of foods to eat but most of them were on my No list - i.e. Whole Milk(I use Rice Dream), Ice Cream, Eggs, Cheese, Peanut Butter, etc. -- most cookies, pastries and cakes - etc.Any food suggestions would be greatly appreciated -- I really want to get accurate results from this so I want to do it right. I think they are onto something ---- The next day I did have that gas explosion and then the other explosion and then I'm fine - Tired as hell -- but fine - does anyone else have symptoms that start with unusually bad smelling burps? - I mean really bad like sulfar -take out an entire wing of a building bad? Just curious - my "attack" starts that way everytime and ends the same way everytime. Just curious.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Could someone please explain what it does, and how it is done??
It's a standard test for malabsorption/maldigestion. You eat 100 grams of fat a day and measure the amount the gut puts out (by collecting it in a paint can). Since the gut normally absorbs fat like Bounty on a spill, the gut puts out virtually none.IBS does not affect digestion or absorption, so a positive test indicates something else is wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.