Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 42 and have had IBSD since I was about 18 years old. Paxil worked well for about 2 years. It quit working, and I had significant weight gain. Afterwards, I suffered for several more years until I found this website and discovered that calcium could work wonders. Again, another 2 years of relief, and now it no longer works. I was taking one Caltrate tablet 3 times a day and was amazed at how well I felt. But now, I no longer get any relief. I even doubled the amount of calcium, but that did nothing. My doctor recently put me on Bentyl which worked for about a month. I went to see him yesterday, and he changed my medication to Donnatal. I haven't started taking it yet, but fear it will be another drug that only works temporarily. Any suggestions? He told me to take probiotics which I have done in the past, and I couldn't tell that it made any difference. I'm so discouraged, because with Calcium, I thought I had found my "cure."

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I'm over 6 years no D with my flavonoids. On the psychological side I think Kathy (Cog Behaviour) and Eric (Mike's Tapes) are about the same amount of time. There have also been some I have written to who have used IBSocol with similar success.Don't despair. It may just take a little more experimentation.Cheers,Mark

·
Registered
827 Posts
Another thing you might want to try is Questran. It's a med used for lowering cholesterol, but it also helps a lot of people with IBS-D, including me. I also tried probiotics with no success. I took calcium for a while and that helped some - the Questran has given me the most relief of anything so far.Marty

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I didn't mention Questran because I assume it functions much as Caltrate in absorbing the excess liquid.http://ibsgroup.org/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f...0261/m/42310453Suzi, that is the info on what has helped me. It is made by a customer-marketed company, so you can't just go down to the vitamin store and buy it. If you are interested in trying it, I can have a bottle sent to you.You can send me a Private Message or e-mail me at msprague2002###yahoo.ca.Good luck,Mark

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've taken Questran in the past, and it made my D worse. The doctor gave me a bottle of Align - a new probiotic formula from the makers of Metamucil. I'm not sure it's on the store shelves yet, but I thought I would give it a try. As far as the Provex is concerned, everything I found on the internet says it's for circulatory problems, which I do not have. How can that help my diarrhea?

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Hopefully the Align will work. A number of peple have reported success with it, as have some with Digestive Advantage. They are just more possible "fixes" for our problem.If you read down far enough in the thread on Provex you would have come across the Australian study that related 100% of CFS/IBSesr had a brain circulation problem. Now I know that neither of us are reporting CFS symptoms; but that possibility at least provides an explanation as to why I have recovered so long and so well. I certainly never would have attributed my diarrhea to a brain problem until I read that. I am also 100% positive that neither your doctor nor anyone's doctor here has ever done a perfusion study on any of us. Further, I would be willing to bet that virtually none of these professionals has ever heard of that study.Just make your list of possible therapies and work through them. Unless you can come up with a definitive reason why this has started, that is, unfortunately, the only approach that makes sense in beating this.Good luck.Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I am extra stressed I have most certainly found that my usual mother's-little-helpers don't do the trick. Sometimes, as I've discovered over the past week, D is just going to happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.