Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old fashioned remedy for external Hemmorids: white vinegar, water and witch hazel, but am in need of what to use for internal ones. Is Preparation H the thing to use or Annusol? What do you all recommend?Thanks,Tania

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I've used Prep H for internal hemmies before. Worked well.Ty

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I've used Prep H for internal hemmies before. Worked well.Ty

·
Registered
312 Posts
Try soaking in the bathtub with aloe vera bubble bath. Or try some Tucks and just leave it there for a while. (Nobody will know!) I think both of these ways would be effective in treating internal hemmies. I get anal fissures quite often (tears inside the rectum) and find these remedies helpful. If you soak long enough, it will reduce the discomfort. It won't hurt to try. Good luck,Darlene

·
Registered
312 Posts
Try soaking in the bathtub with aloe vera bubble bath. Or try some Tucks and just leave it there for a while. (Nobody will know!) I think both of these ways would be effective in treating internal hemmies. I get anal fissures quite often (tears inside the rectum) and find these remedies helpful. If you soak long enough, it will reduce the discomfort. It won't hurt to try. Good luck,Darlene

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi:I too suffer with frequent fissures and have had bouts with hemorrhoids. I would avoid creams containing hydrocortisone for long-term use as these can cause skin thinning over time. Sitz baths, Tucks pads (which you can make yourself with a little soft tissue and a bottle of witch hazel), and Calmol 4 Suppositories are very helpful.Good luck. ~JR~

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi:I too suffer with frequent fissures and have had bouts with hemorrhoids. I would avoid creams containing hydrocortisone for long-term use as these can cause skin thinning over time. Sitz baths, Tucks pads (which you can make yourself with a little soft tissue and a bottle of witch hazel), and Calmol 4 Suppositories are very helpful.Good luck. ~JR~

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone,Just got back from the GI doctor and it's an external hemrroid and some anal irritation. Again she gave me samples of hydrocortisone cream--but I'm finding this cream seems to irritate more. One of you said that it could cause thinning--more explanation please. I'm finding the baths and good old Prep H more soothing. The vinegar in Mom's remedy almost killed me!!!! Do you all think Prep H will soothe irritation, calm the itch, as well as shrink this "thing"? Tania

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone,Just got back from the GI doctor and it's an external hemrroid and some anal irritation. Again she gave me samples of hydrocortisone cream--but I'm finding this cream seems to irritate more. One of you said that it could cause thinning--more explanation please. I'm finding the baths and good old Prep H more soothing. The vinegar in Mom's remedy almost killed me!!!! Do you all think Prep H will soothe irritation, calm the itch, as well as shrink this "thing"? Tania

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Cool Gel Prep H is what has worked the best for my externals. Don't know what's in it tho.Ty

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Cool Gel Prep H is what has worked the best for my externals. Don't know what's in it tho.Ty

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi:Hydrocortisone is a steroid cream, and its long-term use can thin the skin and impair wound healing. This is an important factor in anal fissure management, but is also important in hemorrhoids given that bleeding can be a real problem with hemorrhoids. Short-term use (limited to two to four weeks) is fine, but I would stick with other remedies for long-term use. It might take some experimentation and trial and error to find what works for you.Just an interesting note about Preparation H. The formulation now sold in the United States no longer contains live yeast cell derivative, the very ingredient thought to be so helpful with hemorrhoids and fissures. The only way to get the "real thing" is over the Internet from a company in Canada.Good luck in finding some relief. Try the sitz baths as well. They are very soothing.~JR~

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi:Hydrocortisone is a steroid cream, and its long-term use can thin the skin and impair wound healing. This is an important factor in anal fissure management, but is also important in hemorrhoids given that bleeding can be a real problem with hemorrhoids. Short-term use (limited to two to four weeks) is fine, but I would stick with other remedies for long-term use. It might take some experimentation and trial and error to find what works for you.Just an interesting note about Preparation H. The formulation now sold in the United States no longer contains live yeast cell derivative, the very ingredient thought to be so helpful with hemorrhoids and fissures. The only way to get the "real thing" is over the Internet from a company in Canada.Good luck in finding some relief. Try the sitz baths as well. They are very soothing.~JR~

G

·
I have a quesion hopefully you can answer.... I am recently suffering from C with bleeding I've been using the preperation H and the bleeding is that bad but I still have some ..... It's very difficult to go it's like it's there but doesn't want to come out. I have to strain so bad.... I drink water I try to eat vegtables when my stomach doesn't act up ........But at this point with the holidays coming I would really like to have a few drinks without having to pay for it for weeks is there any suggestions as to how I can I have a Christmas party to go to and I'm really scared to have a drink I don't want the hemorroids to come back in full force...... I had hemorroid banding (the most painful thing I ever felt in my life) done about 6-8 months ago according to the doctor this was going to take care of everything but guess what it's back.... I really would appreciate any help just want to try and enjoy myself over the holidays......Thanks if you would like you can e-mail me at grvn03###aol.com.....

G

·
I have a quesion hopefully you can answer.... I am recently suffering from C with bleeding I've been using the preperation H and the bleeding is that bad but I still have some ..... It's very difficult to go it's like it's there but doesn't want to come out. I have to strain so bad.... I drink water I try to eat vegtables when my stomach doesn't act up ........But at this point with the holidays coming I would really like to have a few drinks without having to pay for it for weeks is there any suggestions as to how I can I have a Christmas party to go to and I'm really scared to have a drink I don't want the hemorroids to come back in full force...... I had hemorroid banding (the most painful thing I ever felt in my life) done about 6-8 months ago according to the doctor this was going to take care of everything but guess what it's back.... I really would appreciate any help just want to try and enjoy myself over the holidays......Thanks if you would like you can e-mail me at grvn03###aol.com.....

G

·
I hope those of you who haven't tried witch hazel (very inexpensive at your nearest pharmacy) put on toilet paper. It may sting slightly at first, but it really does take away that burning/stinging feeling for me, and keeps the area drier. It has just about solved what was daily rectal itching, stinging, and burning from anal fissures, internal and external hemmies.I am so much more comfortable.

G

·
I hope those of you who haven't tried witch hazel (very inexpensive at your nearest pharmacy) put on toilet paper. It may sting slightly at first, but it really does take away that burning/stinging feeling for me, and keeps the area drier. It has just about solved what was daily rectal itching, stinging, and burning from anal fissures, internal and external hemmies.I am so much more comfortable.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi:The key with any kind of anorectal problem is to soften the stool. How to go about this sort of varies per individual. However, it is pretty much agreed on that you absolutely have to increase your fiber and water intake. You probably aren't eating enough fiber, even if you think you are. Adding grains, fruits, vegetables, etc., is important, and you may need to add a fiber supplement such as Metamucil or Konsyl. You want to try to aim for about 30 to 35 grams of fiber per day. This is a lot of fiber, and most people don't even come to close with their daily diet. With all of that increased fiber, you have to drastically increase your water intake. This can be difficult to do. You may want to try some sort of lubricant when you have a bowel movement such as Vaseline or A&D Ointment. This can make having a bowel movement a little easier.Even though you had rubber banding done, hemorrhoids can and often do come back. The best approach is to soften the stool so that you don't have so much straining. For really bad flare-ups, if the fiber isn't enough, you can try adding mineral oil or stool softeners temporarily to get you over the really painful episode.Sitz baths are very soothing to the anal area, and work wonders for most people with anorectal problems.Gentle exercise such as walking is a good idea to keep the bowel moving and avoid constipation. Also try not to sit for really long periods of time without getting up and walking around. Try to avoid activities that put any added pressure on the anal area (heavy lifting, squatting, etc.)Good luck. ~JR~

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.