Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband was diagnosed with SIBO a few years ago. He's is severely underweight, suffers from painful gas, and low energy. He's been on antibiotics 2x. They helped the first time, but not the second. We've been to 2 different doctors and neither have been concerned that he is 6' tall and under 130 lbs. Can anyone recommend a Dr in NYC or Long Island that is familar with SIBO? Maybe someone with a more holistic approach? Also, I've been researching the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Is this something worth trying? His doctors have told him to avoid fat since he does not digest it and to only eat carbs. He's been doing this for a few years and doesn't suffer from diarrhea/constipation anymore, but he is very frail at 33 years old. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would think that a high carbohydrate diet would make it worse. I also have SIBO and the bacteria that is in the small intestines feeds on carbohydrates making symptoms much worse. I can only function on a low carb diet but if he can’t have fat then I’m not sure what he can do since a low-carb diet is mostly protein and fat. Right now I’m on a two week Vivonex diet which is supposed to starve the bacteria in the small bowel. I had two rounds of antibiotics that didn’t help so hopefully this will. Vivonex is an elemental food formula that consists of completely predigested proteins, fats and carbohydrates. The carbohydrates are in the form of glucose that is readily absorbed high up in the small bowel so there is little left for gut bacteria to feed on.A good book that I read about this is “A New IBS Solution” by D. Mark Pimental ( Director of the GI Motility Program at well respected Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in LA) http://www.amazon.com/New-IBS-Solution-Mark-Pimentel/dp/0977435601/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276727836&sr=8-1-spellI have heard that the Specific Carbohydrate Diet has helped some people so it wouldn’t hurt to try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.