Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!I've been away from this site for awhile and I have been having a lot of trouble lately with my IBS-type C. Does anyone have any good suggestions for me? I'm experiencing major distention and constipation. It does'nt seem to matter what I eat and I can't figure out my trigger foods. Can anyone please recommend what has helped them? I would really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
What have you tried? There are several options. First, you need to be sure to eat more fiber and drink more water. If that fails, you might try one of the many fiber supplements out there. Exercise helps some people too. Many people on this board have been helped by magnesium supplements. Elimination diets are not the answer for C-types. It's not a matter of what you are eating, but what you are not! You don't have to eliminate anything unless it fills you up too much to eat a higher-fiber food.Again, it would help to know what you have tried so far.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
What have you tried? There are several options. First, you need to be sure to eat more fiber and drink more water. If that fails, you might try one of the many fiber supplements out there. Exercise helps some people too. Many people on this board have been helped by magnesium supplements. Elimination diets are not the answer for C-types. It's not a matter of what you are eating, but what you are not! You don't have to eliminate anything unless it fills you up too much to eat a higher-fiber food.Again, it would help to know what you have tried so far.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are you using a fiber supplement such as Metamucil? I took this for my C but it ended up causing me some serious bloating and pain that I just assumed were from the C. Now that I am off supplements I no longer have that horrible pain, but I do still get the backed-up feeling and gas, which I use Gas-X for. Sometimes medications or supplements you are using can inadvertantly make things worse. You may have to play some trial-and-error with what you are using to find the right solution for you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are you using a fiber supplement such as Metamucil? I took this for my C but it ended up causing me some serious bloating and pain that I just assumed were from the C. Now that I am off supplements I no longer have that horrible pain, but I do still get the backed-up feeling and gas, which I use Gas-X for. Sometimes medications or supplements you are using can inadvertantly make things worse. You may have to play some trial-and-error with what you are using to find the right solution for you.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
For some people Zoloft seems to work on the bloating and even the C. I'm trying another SSRI this week, Celexa. The SSRI's are the only group of drugs that seem to have an impact on bloating. Zelnorm was an SSRI for the gut -- that was one of the great things about it -- how it reduced the pain and bloating. Maybe some day...------------------***Gail

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
For some people Zoloft seems to work on the bloating and even the C. I'm trying another SSRI this week, Celexa. The SSRI's are the only group of drugs that seem to have an impact on bloating. Zelnorm was an SSRI for the gut -- that was one of the great things about it -- how it reduced the pain and bloating. Maybe some day...------------------***Gail

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I couldn't take Metamucil or Citrucil, but Fibercon and Equalactin worked very well for me as long as I drank a lot of water, which is good for us anyways. Magnesium supplements are what have helped me the most. The RDA is 400mg, but with my doctor's permission, I take between 500mg and 750mg of magnesium oxide a day.Also, aloe vera juice (mixed with my morning fruit juice) also helped.Ty

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I couldn't take Metamucil or Citrucil, but Fibercon and Equalactin worked very well for me as long as I drank a lot of water, which is good for us anyways. Magnesium supplements are what have helped me the most. The RDA is 400mg, but with my doctor's permission, I take between 500mg and 750mg of magnesium oxide a day.Also, aloe vera juice (mixed with my morning fruit juice) also helped.Ty

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Have you tried any antispasmotics yet? I find that they work well for me. I do find that cheese and bananas tend to really constipate me but I think everyone is different. Also, if you don't exercise then now would be a good time to start. Even just walking, about 20 mins a night, will help to get things moving.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Have you tried any antispasmotics yet? I find that they work well for me. I do find that cheese and bananas tend to really constipate me but I think everyone is different. Also, if you don't exercise then now would be a good time to start. Even just walking, about 20 mins a night, will help to get things moving.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not sure I understand (or agree with) the point about elimination diets not being for IBS C types. Just like D types, C types have trigger foods also and one of the main points to an elimination diet is to discover your trigger foods. I have IBS-C and there are a number of foods that cause me to have abdominal spasms, painful trapped gas, and significant abdominal distension. Avoiding these has made my life much easier.Tara

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not sure I understand (or agree with) the point about elimination diets not being for IBS C types. Just like D types, C types have trigger foods also and one of the main points to an elimination diet is to discover your trigger foods. I have IBS-C and there are a number of foods that cause me to have abdominal spasms, painful trapped gas, and significant abdominal distension. Avoiding these has made my life much easier.Tara

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lisa,Here is what I've found aggravates my IBS-C.Definite trigger foods:anything spicy - and I love Mexican and Thai food
anything w/ garlicanything w/ MSGall raw veggiessome cooked vegetables (beans and broccoli)any kind of beefSometime trigger foods:most cheesesanything w/ wheat (pasta, bread, etc.)alcohol (beer more than wine)Completely safe foods:chickenwhite ricemost canned fruitOf course, please realize your triggers may be different from mine. Everyone seems to react differently. So for instance, a lot of people have problems with dairy, but most dairy products go over fine with me.Also, my reactions to the above can vary. The worse my IBS is acting up, the more important it becomes for me to avoid certain foods. So sometimes my "sometime triggers" are fine to eat while other times they definitely make things worse. I will only eat stuff in that category if I have been feeling good for a couple of days.One thing to note is that plain chicken and rice usually go over well with most people and neither are gas producing (which is what I'm assuming usually causes the distension). What I personally did to help me sort all this out was to eat a lot of chicken and rice for a couple days to see if that helped any. (And it was amazing, my gas problem pretty much just went away.) I then tried adding other things back in. (This was sort of my mini-version of the elimination diet). I have also found that it seems to be more important to be good about what I eat for lunch than what I eat for dinner. So I often try to eat some kind chicken and rice meal for lunch and then it's easier for me to have something like pasta for dinner without it bothering me. I hope some of this helps. All of this is just based on my own experience so I have no idea if it would help anyone else. Also, FYI this did not stop my constipation (though it did seem to make it a little better). This mainly helps me with the gas, abdominal pain and distension.-Tara

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lisa,Here is what I've found aggravates my IBS-C.Definite trigger foods:anything spicy - and I love Mexican and Thai food
anything w/ garlicanything w/ MSGall raw veggiessome cooked vegetables (beans and broccoli)any kind of beefSometime trigger foods:most cheesesanything w/ wheat (pasta, bread, etc.)alcohol (beer more than wine)Completely safe foods:chickenwhite ricemost canned fruitOf course, please realize your triggers may be different from mine. Everyone seems to react differently. So for instance, a lot of people have problems with dairy, but most dairy products go over fine with me.Also, my reactions to the above can vary. The worse my IBS is acting up, the more important it becomes for me to avoid certain foods. So sometimes my "sometime triggers" are fine to eat while other times they definitely make things worse. I will only eat stuff in that category if I have been feeling good for a couple of days.One thing to note is that plain chicken and rice usually go over well with most people and neither are gas producing (which is what I'm assuming usually causes the distension). What I personally did to help me sort all this out was to eat a lot of chicken and rice for a couple days to see if that helped any. (And it was amazing, my gas problem pretty much just went away.) I then tried adding other things back in. (This was sort of my mini-version of the elimination diet). I have also found that it seems to be more important to be good about what I eat for lunch than what I eat for dinner. So I often try to eat some kind chicken and rice meal for lunch and then it's easier for me to have something like pasta for dinner without it bothering me. I hope some of this helps. All of this is just based on my own experience so I have no idea if it would help anyone else. Also, FYI this did not stop my constipation (though it did seem to make it a little better). This mainly helps me with the gas, abdominal pain and distension.-Tara

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.