Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey thereI'm new to all of this... but here it goesI first began having symptoms about 2 and a half years ago... I would be totally constipated for days and days and when I would finally have a bm, it was very hard (almost clay- like)and painful. This trend stayed for about 5 or 6 months. From there, my bms were erratic. I would suffer from constipation for upwards of a week, and then have loose, watery bms for 2 or 3 days after. This continued until about 4 months ago. Full constipation set in. I went a week and a half to 2 weeks with no bm. When I was finally able to relieve myself, my bms were "rabbit like", and virtually unhelpful in the grand scheme of things. I bloated like it was nobody's business. I'm 4'11 and weigh roughly 100 lbs. The bloat looked like I had gained about 7 lbs. My clothes didn't fit. I made do with sweats and yoga pants and loose sundresses (weather permitting), because I could not wear most of my wardrobe without looking like a sausage stuffed into too small of a casing. I am a healthy person. I drink nothing but water and gatorade. I am also a softball player, and am physically active almost every day. I was told by my doctor that water and excercise would do the trick. Not the case. I did not have the thought of laxatives until june, when I became extremely ill. The constipation was enough to make me miserable, but the virus I had on top of the constipation was too much to bear. I picked up a generic bisacodyl pill laxative at my local drug store, and took a pill that night. The next morning, I was in my bathroom every half hour. After my stomach felt settled, I cried because of how relieved I felt. My waist was visibly smaller. My clothes fit correctly. Most importantly, I did not feel like I had rocks for intestines. I thought that one day would snap my intestines into shape, so to speak. That was not the case. The next day, no bm. I was back to being constipated. After another few days, I decided to begin taking a pill every night. My life has been so much better. However, doing some research on the subject of chronic laxative use has scared me half to death. I am thinking about switching to a stool softener. Can anyone give me some advice on how I should try to handle my situation? Any personal experience with stool softeners? Replies are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for taking time to read my little tangent! JerseyGirl

·
Registered
63 Posts
Develop a regimen of different remedies so that you don't get dependent on one remedy or the otherMy remedy is correctol every other day until it stops being effective Miralax every day for a week following the discontinuing of the correctolsuppositories and enemas alternating for a few days after the Miralax stops working

·
Registered
71 Posts
My daily routine of sitting quietly in a firm chair for several hours and drinking 2 cups of hot, strong coffee is enough to keep me regular. Don't get up or walk around. Just sit quietly reading or working on the computer. You could try that, if you're afraid of becoming dependent on a laxative or stool softener. However, if I have to get up and do anything in the morning, I won't have a BM all day. I'm trying to find something that will help keep me regular, no matter what my routine is, so I've been trying docusate sodium for the last 5 days, starting with 1 capsule at bedtime for the first 3 days, then upping it to 2 for the last 2 days. It worked nicely for the first 2 days, but now it doesn't work. I've been constipated, gassy and bloated the last 3 days.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I wonder about mag. citrate.Does it actually works?I think it dosen't do much.
Different things work for different people. I've lost count of the number of times a doctor has told me that a remedy 'really should work' (and then looked at me dubiously when I've said that it doesn't). Probably the most frustrating thing about IBS is how much is varies from person to person.JerseyGirl, I'd give the stool softeners a go as everything is worth trying once. I'm interested to know what your doctor's advice has been so far? There are lots of different laxatives on the market, along with lots of herbal/homeopathic remedies if you're wary of putting so many chemicals into your body (I know that feeling). Are you taking probiotics? That might be helpful. You could also give fibre supplements a go, such as psyllium husks or flaxseed, and as others have said magnesium helps a lot of people. There are literally dozens of ways you could go.

G

·
My daily routine of sitting quietly in a firm chair for several hours and drinking 2 cups of hot, strong coffee is enough to keep me regular. Don't get up or walk around. Just sit quietly reading or working on the computer. You could try that, if you're afraid of becoming dependent on a laxative or stool softener. However, if I have to get up and do anything in the morning, I won't have a BM all day. I'm trying to find something that will help keep me regular, no matter what my routine is, so I've been trying docusate sodium for the last 5 days, starting with 1 capsule at bedtime for the first 3 days, then upping it to 2 for the last 2 days. It worked nicely for the first 2 days, but now it doesn't work. I've been constipated, gassy and bloated the last 3 days.
Hello QuiQui,I read your post and I felt like I was reading my own words! What a relief to find I am not the only one with a routine like this. I have found that although the routine works, it does drive me crazy. I would pay anything to be able to just get up in the morning and go about my day, instead of having to sit still and have coffee and be left alone until I have a bm. If I'm even around other people or distracted at all, or if I have to get up early and go to something, it's like my body just closes shop and I won't go all day and I stay all bloated and get gassy. One thing that has helped also is putting a warm heating pad on my stomach while I'm having my coffee in the morning, helps to relax a little bit. Does your routine ever bother other people? If so, how do you deal with it, or explain it?

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
oh yes i have the same thing with the morning routine. have to get up two or three hours before my husband (who fortunately is understanding) so i can be by myself--peace and quiet--drink strong black coffee and have breakfast, read a magazine, tend to my plants etc until the bm's come--even with the laxatives i take i still need the routine and it takes a couple times on the toilet at least before it all comes out. and if circumstances keep me from my routine, just like AliKay said--my body just closes up shop--great way to put that--and no bm till the next day when hopefully i can get back to the routine then.and yes it would be so wonderful if i didn't need to do all this --could just get up and go like normal people...but at least the routine does help.i'm lucky my hubby understands (we're the only two in the house plus cats) other people do not.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think that the coffee works by causing contraction of the duodenum, which lowers blood sugar at the ventrolateral hypothalamus. The body responds by creating sugar and Ghrelin. The Ghrelin causes a contraction of the proximal colon, which produces BM results.

·
Registered
10 Posts
have you tryed aloe juice (in brown bottle) or digestive enzymes daily? good luck, i understand how hard these issues are to live with. hope this can be helpful? do you have a good doctor your working with?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I have had everything in the book thrown at me!!! It really is trial and error and it was only when I saw a gastro dr in hospital that he suggested I try taking magnesium hydroxide, now after my hospital admission with impaction in two areas (very very unpleasant)it is working really well but it is the only thing that works for me but as like most people I can't always guarantee what I'll be doing each morning especially as I work shifts. The magnesium is available over the counter and is ok, least it doesn't have any side effects. I really hope some one of the suggestions works for you

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello QuiQui,I read your post and I felt like I was reading my own words! What a relief to find I am not the only one with a routine like this. I have found that although the routine works, it does drive me crazy. I would pay anything to be able to just get up in the morning and go about my day, instead of having to sit still and have coffee and be left alone until I have a bm. If I'm even around other people or distracted at all, or if I have to get up early and go to something, it's like my body just closes shop and I won't go all day and I stay all bloated and get gassy. One thing that has helped also is putting a warm heating pad on my stomach while I'm having my coffee in the morning, helps to relax a little bit. Does your routine ever bother other people? If so, how do you deal with it, or explain it?
My boyfriend knows that I have this problem, and I think he understands. But I still feel guilty because I feel like I'm ignoring him for hours every morning. It's a very limiting routine and really cuts into my day. I basically lose a quarter of my day waiting to poop! I'll have to try your heating pad idea.I've been trying Miralax for the last 3 days, but I haven't been getting very good results. I had one small BM today, but I know that there's lots more where that came from. I'd like to find something that really works and allows me more freedom in my routine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think that the coffee works by causing contraction of the duodenum, which lowers blood sugar at the ventrolateral hypothalamus. The body responds by creating sugar and Ghrelin. The Ghrelin causes a contraction of the proximal colon, which produces BM results.
I'm not sure what all that means, but does it explain in any way why I don't have a BM when I eat first thing in the morning? If I eat before my expected BM, then I won't be able to poop for the rest of the day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.