Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HIya guys,Yet another chance for me to complain and vent...sorry.I have a nasty dull pain on the right side of my abdomen...kinda right beside my right ribs....what could this be? I've had a really bad Fibromyalgia flare up but I've never had pain there before. I'm starting to get really scared....I feel like I've been dying slowly and no one seems to notice ( Doctors, parents etc.) I've now lost 64 pounds since January and I want to stop...I'm still overweight but I think my inwanted weight loss is still serious....am I crazy? Should I be happy to lose all this weight because of D and not being able to eat? I'm sorry if I sounds like a whiner but I'm really having a "feel sorry for myself" day.
Any insight to my pain and what I could try to get better will greatly appreciated and the person idolized.
Thanks so much...this message board keeps me going and feeling much less isolated!Cheers,Ginger

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I get a sharp pain there sometimes. It totally doubles me over and I can't stand up properly. I too lost a lot of weight with my IBS (about 16kg to be exact) and I was sent for a colonoscopy as apparantly people don't lose weight with IBS. Well in my case that is just not true. Anyway, (sorry, rambling) after I get that stabbing pain under the rib and it cripples me for a few hours it then turns into a dull pain for a few days afterwards. Maybe talk to your doctor about it but I'd say it's just another wonderful IBS symptom.Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
254 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Mattysmom:I have a nasty dull pain on the right side of my abdomen...kinda right beside my right ribs....what could this be?
Could be gall bladder. I had the same pain but the scan showed it was okay. So...it's written off as IBS. Does it act up when you eat fatty foods or seeds? You might have it checked. I'm taking an anti-sposmadic now to calm it down.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks You Guys!I feel so much better now that I know that I'm not a) crazy and
that it's a normal IBS symptom. I've come to the conclusion that weight loss is inevitable for some of us IBSers regardless of what it says in the RomeII. It's just logical that if you have D all the time...chances are you're not retaining oodles of calories.Update: The pain is getting less and I had a very hard bowel movement this morning...man was I confused...so I think maybe I've swung back to C and that irritated something. Sorry for the gory details!
Have a great evening!Ginger

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:'ve come to the conclusion that weight loss is inevitable for some of us IBSers regardless of what it says in the RomeII. It's just logical that if you have D all the time...chances are you're not retaining oodles of calories.
IBS does not cause weight loss. IBSers have normal digestion and absorption and do not lose any calories due to IBS.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Flux,I was just wondering what sources you were using for that info...I would like to read them as well. I have been checked for everything and nothing shows up...so I have been told I have IBS...what else could it be?
Isn't it logical that people with D would lose weight? When people get a stomach bug they often drop up to 5 pounds in a few days. I would imagine that there would be calorie loss in a person with IBS-D...they often have D several times a day and have a limited diet....I dunno...just something to think about.Cheers,Ginger

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
All health professionals do state that IBS does not cause weight loss. Even though we have D because it's a disorder and not a disease we generally still get enough nutrients from our food to remain a healthy weight. Anyone with weight loss should be checked by a colonoscopy to make sure they don't have an IBD as weight loss is one of the major signs, especially in conjunction with anemia. I've had the colonoscopy and yes my IBS causes weight loss for me but it's generally not normal.Hope this clarify's things a bit

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have major D all the time. I have not lost any weight. In fact my IBS has been really bad this summer and I am gaining weight. I quit smoking in November and due to all this anxiety and mena pause I have gained 30 pounds since november. Sucks. You would htink if I go this much I wold be a tooth pick.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow!Thanks for responding guys! I'm pretty sure I don't have any IBDs because at times my symptoms are very mild...I think with me it's partially hormonal as my IBS got worse after birth.I guess it just goes to show you the range of effects IBS can have one us...no wonder we're confused?!?!? I'm still a healthy weight...maybe I lost weight because I was overweight to begin with. I went from 260 in January to 195 now....and that's closer to my normal weight....I packed on the pounds prepregnancy due to Celexa use...ugh!Thanks Again!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I lost weight at the very beginning of my IBS. I got all kinds of tests. Since I had D 4x per day, I did not hold in nutrients because I was going so fast after eating. The stress of school made this much worse. I lost 20 lbs over a year, which was when I got all my tests done and learned that I was not eating right and had IBS. I think IBSers can lose weight, but it sounds like it is not the norm. I do not have IBD. And I was almost bummed to find out now that I understand my IBS, I can have painful days at a time where I can barely leave the restroom, and I still gain a few pounds. I understand the need to make it clear which conditions have which symptoms, but I would not discount the real things that are happening to many of our friends with IBS. Always a good idea to check for IBD though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts